Counter Strike 1.6 vs Counter Strike Source

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -

I have problems with Steam, I deleted it and try to stop play SCS, it lasted for a few weeks. But I still have problems with it though. The thing is, my computer is low end, VERY low end. (Geforce 7300!) It was never met to play the game. Now I have read on these forums that Counter-Strike Source is a pretty looking Counter Strike made easier for newbies. How many people Play 1.6? I'm ready to buy it like, right now! :(

EDIT: I have Source, I met I am ready to buy 1.6 if it was a better deal for me. I already decided not to.

#2 Posted by purple_MAN1832 (2125 posts) -
uhh 1.6 still has a large community, but css has a larger one. And yes the shooting in CSS is easier since it's not as random. 1.6 is a good challenge though
#3 Posted by LordChar (124 posts) -

CS:S is better and is more played than CS 1.6. and you should have no problems with being able to play it.

#4 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -

uhh 1.6 still has a large community, but css has a larger one. And yes the shooting in CSS is easier since it's not as random. 1.6 is a good challenge thoughpurple_MAN1832

That's not good. I suck at Source but I have fun playing. :)

Alright then: Battlefield 2, Call of Duty 2, Unreal 04, or Quake 3?

I like playing online so much but I only have 2 games that my computer can't handle well.

#5 Posted by PwningStick (453 posts) -

[QUOTE="purple_MAN1832"]uhh 1.6 still has a large community, but css has a larger one. And yes the shooting in CSS is easier since it's not as random. 1.6 is a good challenge thoughNerkcon

I like playing online so much but I only have 2 games that my computer can't handle well.

I'm not really sure what you're asking here but all of those games would be harder for your computer to run than CSS, except quake 3. And Unreal 04 doesn't exist.

#6 Posted by dipper145 (1425 posts) -
CSS is your best bet, turn down the graphics until you get a stable 30-40 fps all the time. Its better then 1.6, less random, but its also slightly easier because the models are bigger and more in proportion to the environment.
#7 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -
[QUOTE="Nerkcon"]

[QUOTE="purple_MAN1832"]uhh 1.6 still has a large community, but css has a larger one. And yes the shooting in CSS is easier since it's not as random. 1.6 is a good challenge thoughPwningStick

I'm not really sure what you're asking here but all of those games would be harder for your computer to run than CSS, except quake 3. And Unreal 04 doesn't exist.

Yeah it does. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC)

And by http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl it can.

#8 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -

CSS is your best bet, turn down the graphics until you get a stable 30-40 fps all the time. Its better then 1.6, less random, but its also slightly easier because the models are bigger and more in proportion to the environment.dipper145

I have a stable FPS it's with Steam itself! It crashes random time saying so and so could not be read and some times it says ym account does not exist. :(

#9 Posted by j3v1zzle (595 posts) -
1.6 is still an amazing game after all these years but there is no way it would appeal to the average gamer today. Simply put, no matter what people say, Source is clearly the EASIER game. This is proof through the very easy recoil and game mechanics. 1.6 is still played widely which is quite remarkable considering its age.
#10 Posted by timma25 (1131 posts) -

This isn't exactly your question but the difference between scource n 1.6is mainly speed. Movement is alot faster and guns shoot alot faster. Recoil is still a big issue in both games, however in scource you shoot like twice as fast so it's less noticible.

#11 Posted by PwningStick (453 posts) -
[QUOTE="PwningStick"][QUOTE="Nerkcon"]

[QUOTE="purple_MAN1832"]uhh 1.6 still has a large community, but css has a larger one. And yes the shooting in CSS is easier since it's not as random. 1.6 is a good challenge thoughNerkcon

Yeah it does. Unreal Tournament 2004 (PC)

And by http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/referrer/srl it can.

Sorry I didn't know you ment ut2k4 with the series being renamed to just UT3. And I already knew you met the system requirements for those games but CSS is the easiest to run. BF2 would run like **** on a 7300 and so would COD2. You might as well just stick to CSS.

#12 Posted by ElArab (5754 posts) -
Believe it or not, once popular titles on Steam die down, the Top Sellers list ALWAYS has "CSS" and "CS 1.6" as their top sellers, you can't go wrong with either one really, especially with their price tags.
#13 Posted by Nic_James (37 posts) -

Well, stats say there's still quite a large CS 1.6 or other community.

http://steampowered.com/v/index.php?area=stats&cc=US

Players:

Counter-Strike 176,809
Counter-Strike: Source 23,350
Counter-Strike Condition Zero 15,482

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (96795 posts) -
We need more than just your video card chipset to determine whether or not you can run the game... and yes, CSS is a far better game. No matter what 1.6ers will tell you, CSS offers far better and much more realistic gameplay. The physics and collision detection of the Source engine make for more of a challenge and it comes down to actual player skill, not math.
#15 Posted by Nerkcon (4707 posts) -
I can't believe! There is a new problem! Every time I try to connect to counter Strike I can't connect to the Internet! I check my security, it's not being blocked. I love counter strike, I really do. But Steam won't let me play in peace! :cry:I guess I'm just going have to try againwhen I get a better computer. :(
#16 Posted by Maxsimus_basic (85 posts) -

Buy CSS because its a better game. Cs 1.6 is also a pretty solid game, but not as great as CSS. However dont believe ppl saying you should buy CSS because its easyer for a beginer ;) thats BS. It no harder for a new player to get into 1.6 than CSS (well that should be the graphics then). And i have alot of friends that started playing 1.6 after CSS came out because it was cheaper and ran better on their machines. i dont recall them haveing trouble getting into the game as all thouse l33t 1.6 players wants us to believe. (my freinds play both 1.6 and CSS now btw ;) as do I)

#17 Posted by Jalannom (315 posts) -
Graphics on Counter Strike 1.6 is just too old for my taste. But, its silky smooth on any computer nowadays. The riot shield is unecessarily hilarious. Other than that, I play CS:S. I just don't see how 1.6 could be better than CS:S.
#18 Posted by silent999 (155 posts) -
G

I have problems with Steam, I deleted it and try to stop play SCS, it lasted for a few weeks. But I still have problems with it though. The thing is, my computer is low end, VERY low end. (Geforce 7300!) It was never met to play the game. Now I have read on these forums that Counter-Strike Source is a pretty looking Counter Strike made easier for newbies. How many people Play 1.6? I'm ready to buy it like, right now! :(

EDIT: I have Source, I met I am ready to buy 1.6 if it was a better deal for me. I already decided not to.

Nerkcon
What your saying is that your 7300 cannot run CSS, my Geforce 440 MX can run CSS. What is wrong with your comp?
#19 Posted by SerOlmy (2348 posts) -

If you have so many problems with Steam I suggest a wipe and a reinstall of everything. Because its probably not your hardware as I can run CSS on my laptop, which has a 7200 go and last and last gen processor.

By deleting/reinstalling so many times you probably have corrupted files. Besides that, a format and reinstall just makes everything run much more smoothly ( am actually going to do it to my laptop this weekend to fix some annoying errors). Also update your grafics drivers as well, make sure you have the most recent Force Ware, if its a laptop then your SOL driver wise since Dell/HP are notorious for washing their hands of the Go card after 1 or 2 driver updates.

#20 Posted by jokeazz (25 posts) -

1.6 and cz is the best ones i think...

yeah source have better grapich and all that crap.. but i like best the old fshion cs 1.6=)

why is evryboddy going from 1.6 and cz to source? it aint that good?

#21 Posted by Meowmixxvi (2243 posts) -
sorry to bump this. but im planning on purchasing counter strike. just want some input on which version should i get. :)
#22 Posted by Expo_Smacko (2332 posts) -
Source for sure.
#23 Posted by derers (25 posts) -

you should try sudden attack

this game rules over counter and all other games

#24 Posted by D1zzyCriminal (1839 posts) -

BF2 will run on that card. Ive played it on a 6100 (lower details but playable), thats a integrated card, and my 8400m GS (laptop) on max. BF2 is a great game I recommend.

#25 Posted by Dr_Brocoli (3724 posts) -
whoever said that about source is an idiot, sorry i have to say that. In terms of skill 1.6 and source are about even. I love how 1.6 players come play source thinking itll be so easy then get pwned over and over. I play both btw.
#26 Posted by shakmaster13 (7138 posts) -

I ran CoD 2 on an FX5200 once I'm pretty sure you could run it on a 7300.

#27 Posted by Crimsader (11672 posts) -
Source engine all the way baby.