Could playing with a controller cause arm pain?

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

The last few weeks I picked up an Xbox controller for the PC and was playing games on my TV. It was a lot of fun, but I got pain under my right thumb and then in the arm halfway between the wrist and elbow. Since I've stopped playing with a controller the pain has gone away.

Am I just too old for long Mega Man 11 or other games with a controller? Playing with a mouse and keyboard has never given me any issues.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4204 Posts

It *could*. I typically get hand cramps from playing mouse and keyboard. But that’s because of the position I sit in.

When I was younger I played the N64 and sat on the floor in front of the tv. My back hurt for like a week. But I eventually adjusted to sitting on the floor in front of the tv.

It just depends I guess. But certainly it’s possible.

I don’t think you’re too old for Mega man. Just give yourself some breaks in gameplay, and don’t bother trying to be “hardcore”. You’re arm will adjust in my view.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Maxpowers_32 said:

The last few weeks I picked up an Xbox controller for the PC and was playing games on my TV. It was a lot of fun, but I got pain under my right thumb and then in the arm halfway between the wrist and elbow. Since I've stopped playing with a controller the pain has gone away.

Am I just too old for long Mega Man 11 or other games with a controller? Playing with a mouse and keyboard has never given me any issues.

If you use a lot of those analog sticks then yes it could, I know I did.

Do you play with analog sticks on Mega Men 11? you can try other controllers like PS4 or other cheaper brands that look like PS controller - might help you changing the controller itself.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Do you lean on your elbow on either side while gaming? There's a nerve in the bottom of your elbow (the ulnar nerve) that runs down your forearm and into your hand. Not a doctor, but I just visited one regarding an elbow surgery I had a year ago and this came up.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7244 Posts

Yes. It definitely can, especially if you didn't use controllers much in the past. Make sure to sit with your back straight and arms relaxed at your sides. Your body naturally wants tp hunch over, and that can cause problems. Might also be good to do some wrist stretches before and after, and keep gaming sessions short for now. It might sound funny, but any new activity may need time for muscles to adjust. Even the little ones in your hands.

Maxpowers_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Maxpowers_32
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

@gerygo: Yes, I think I did. I'm also reaching for the triggers to switch between weapons and gears all the time.

It's funny I play a lot of tennis, do weights, and regular PC gaming and never had a problem. Maybe wrist warmups wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I got a Nintendo switch as a present with a regular size controller and I'm a bit afraid to play it since I don't want to get injured

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Definitely. I've received all sorts of strains and soft tissue tension issues from controllers and improper mouse and keyboard use. Nothing seeming permanent, yet - the issues have always abated when I change my behavior. But still, not something to mess around with

RatchetClank92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 RatchetClank92
Member since 2020 • 1342 Posts

Make sure you get up and stretch and just go for a walk and loosen your arms/wrists up a bit. If I sit around all day my back feels tight and sore.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts
@Maxpowers_32 said:

@gerygo: Yes, I think I did. I'm also reaching for the triggers to switch between weapons and gears all the time.

It's funny I play a lot of tennis, do weights, and regular PC gaming and never had a problem. Maybe wrist warmups wouldn't be a bad idea either.

I got a Nintendo switch as a present with a regular size controller and I'm a bit afraid to play it since I don't want to get injured

It got nothing to do with sports IMO, you can do weights all the time but when I'll introduce you to a new type of exercise you'll find it hard to do (I train myself everyday)

So picking up a new controller and putting your finger in a new position (might be even uncomfortable one) for a long period of times might cause that.

Either change the control scheme which a lot of games do (a-c), pick a different controller or try to do shorter time of gaming with it until your body will get used to it.

HankMulder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HankMulder
Member since 2020 • 203 Posts

I play Hades on controler and usually feel some pain in my right hand after a hectic session.
As you said, pain is gone after a few min when I stop playing.

Kadin_Kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Kadin_Kai
Member since 2015 • 2247 Posts

@Maxpowers_32: It may depend on your posture.

If you’re virtually lying and your hands and arms are above your heart (I.e resting your hands on your stomach/chest) then your heart needs to work harder to pump blood to your hands.

When you’re sat on a chair with a mouse and keyboard, your hands and arms are below your heart level so it’s easier for blood to move around.