continuous beeping and rebooting - worked before

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#1 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

So I posted a thread a few days back when I got my new PC parts and it wouldnt boot with my new motherboard so I had to reinstall windows and everything worked fine.

Turned on the comouter today getting constant beeping and rebooting, it says error LED 15 on the mobo which means "pre memory northbridge is started" or something like that.

I have tried changing RAM around, unplugging things and no luck. It did this before but after a few reboots it started to work on its own. This time it just keeps looping

Avatar image for clyde46
#2 Posted by clyde46 (49048 posts) -

Either bad RAM or board is fucked.

Avatar image for Cyberdot
#3 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

Run a test on the RAM.

Either Memtest or the utility that comes with Windows installation disc.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#4 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

@Cyberdot: how? I cant get the PC to boot up

Avatar image for Cyberdot
#5 Posted by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Cyberdot: how? I cant get the PC to boot up

Boot from the disc.

That should be possible.

Avatar image for clyde46
#6 Edited by clyde46 (49048 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Cyberdot: how? I cant get the PC to boot up

Boot from the disc.

That should be possible.

Can you get to the BIOS Sean?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#7 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Cyberdot: how? I cant get the PC to boot up

Boot from the disc.

That should be possible.

Can you get to the BIOS Sean?

Nope, nothing boots up at all. The beeping starts as soon as the system turns on and the BIOS screen doesn't even come up

I re-installed my old hardware now and had to re-install windows again (for the second time this week)

I'm just gonna get a second case and some new RAM for my rendering build and shove the i7 into that, it's wasted in my gaming rig anyway. Hopefully it will work in that

Avatar image for darksusperia
#8 Posted by darksusperia (6945 posts) -

uh oh.

I recently had issues with my pc.. My CPU died, for no reason. (3770K). Im currently going through the RMA process with Intel.

First it froze, I hard reset, it loaded windows, froze again, then never booted again.
I had tried 2 motherboards, 2 GPU's, 2 power supplies, single/dual ram etc. Nothing worked.
All I would get is post looping. One board would stick on 15 (msi), the other would stick on 62 (asrock), so depending it would either be the north bridge, or south bridge initialization that it would halt on. The msi would continually boot loop, the asrock would just pause.

Im not saying its your cpu, but it could be. I bought a cheap 50$AU celeron to test with, popped it in, booted first go. Im currently using my pc with the celeron, no issues.

And before anyone says anything, it was OC'd, voltage never higher then 1.29 - well within safe limits - never got higher then 70C rendering.

I know you said you dont have the Z87X-OC but did you confirm your board was exempt from the same issue?

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#9 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

@darksusperia said:

uh oh.

I recently had issues with my pc.. My CPU died, for no reason. (3770K). Im currently going through the RMA process with Intel.

First it froze, I hard reset, it loaded windows, froze again, then never booted again.

I had tried 2 motherboards, 2 GPU's, 2 power supplies, single/dual ram etc. Nothing worked.

All I would get is post looping. One board would stick on 15 (msi), the other would stick on 62 (asrock), so depending it would either be the north bridge, or south bridge initialization that it would halt on. The msi would continually boot loop, the asrock would just pause.

Im not saying its your cpu, but it could be. I bought a cheap 50$AU celeron to test with, popped it in, booted first go. Im currently using my pc with the celeron, no issues.

And before anyone says anything, it was OC'd, voltage never higher then 1.29 - well within safe limits - never got higher then 70C rendering.

I know you said you dont have the Z87X-OC but did you confirm your board was exempt from the same issue?

Aw don't tell me it's the CPU lol

Sadly I don't have another CPU to fit the socket to test but the thing booted up fine over the weekend and had worked great, I even shut down and rebooted about 3 times over the weekend and no issues, it had the beeping issue before and rearranging the RAM and removing some fixed it. Turned it on today and nothing I do works

I was reading reviews on Newegg and it seems to be an extremely contrary board with the type of RAM you use. Someone else even said that they got stuck on "Error 15" too.

I have a different board and new RAM ordered to put in my rendering PC and I'll try the 4770k in that, that should tell me what I need to know. It'll be a fresh new install to an SSD too so it'll be like brand new,If that messes up then I'll know it's the CPU. I'm not gonna bother trying it in my main rig anymore because I NEED that up and running

I do think it's the mobo though because the RAM works fine in my main rig now along with everything else, different CPU though

Avatar image for darksusperia
#10 Edited by darksusperia (6945 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@darksusperia said:

uh oh.

I recently had issues with my pc.. My CPU died, for no reason. (3770K). Im currently going through the RMA process with Intel.

First it froze, I hard reset, it loaded windows, froze again, then never booted again.

I had tried 2 motherboards, 2 GPU's, 2 power supplies, single/dual ram etc. Nothing worked.

All I would get is post looping. One board would stick on 15 (msi), the other would stick on 62 (asrock), so depending it would either be the north bridge, or south bridge initialization that it would halt on. The msi would continually boot loop, the asrock would just pause.

Im not saying its your cpu, but it could be. I bought a cheap 50$AU celeron to test with, popped it in, booted first go. Im currently using my pc with the celeron, no issues.

And before anyone says anything, it was OC'd, voltage never higher then 1.29 - well within safe limits - never got higher then 70C rendering.

I know you said you dont have the Z87X-OC but did you confirm your board was exempt from the same issue?

Aw don't tell me it's the CPU lol

Sadly I don't have another CPU to fit the socket to test but the thing booted up fine over the weekend and had worked great, I even shut down and rebooted about 3 times over the weekend and no issues, it had the beeping issue before and rearranging the RAM and removing some fixed it. Turned it on today and nothing I do works

I was reading reviews on Newegg and it seems to be an extremely contrary board with the type of RAM you use. Someone else even said that they got stuck on "Error 15" too.

I have a different board and new RAM ordered to put in my rendering PC and I'll try the 4770k in that, that should tell me what I need to know. It'll be a fresh new install to an SSD too so it'll be like brand new,If that messes up then I'll know it's the CPU. I'm not gonna bother trying it in my main rig anymore because I NEED that up and running

I do think it's the mobo though because the RAM works fine in my main rig now along with everything else, different CPU though

I hope its not your cpu and it is something else, but:

My CPU was fine at those levels, since february. Never a hiccup, until that fateful day.

have you seen this?
http://www.overclock.net/t/1409797/the-haswell-death-degradation-thread

here is my thread
http://www.overclock.net/t/1443623/my-cpu-just-died

Avatar image for Cyberdot
#11 Edited by Cyberdot (3928 posts) -

@seanmcloughlin said:

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Cyberdot: how? I cant get the PC to boot up

Boot from the disc.

That should be possible.

Can you get to the BIOS Sean?

Nope, nothing boots up at all. The beeping starts as soon as the system turns on and the BIOS screen doesn't even come up

I re-installed my old hardware now and had to re-install windows again (for the second time this week)

I'm just gonna get a second case and some new RAM for my rendering build and shove the i7 into that, it's wasted in my gaming rig anyway. Hopefully it will work in that

Now that sounds like a motherboard problem.

Have you got any spare motherboards you can try?

*EDIT* It could also be the CPU.

Avatar image for clyde46
#12 Posted by clyde46 (49048 posts) -

@Cyberdot said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@clyde46 said:

@Cyberdot said:

@seanmcloughlin said:

@Cyberdot: how? I cant get the PC to boot up

Boot from the disc.

That should be possible.

Can you get to the BIOS Sean?

Nope, nothing boots up at all. The beeping starts as soon as the system turns on and the BIOS screen doesn't even come up

I re-installed my old hardware now and had to re-install windows again (for the second time this week)

I'm just gonna get a second case and some new RAM for my rendering build and shove the i7 into that, it's wasted in my gaming rig anyway. Hopefully it will work in that

Now that sounds like a motherboard problem.

Have you got any spare motherboards you can try?

Don't think he has, this is his first 1150 board.

Avatar image for ZombieKiller7
#13 Edited by ZombieKiller7 (6364 posts) -

Mobo is pooched

Avatar image for airshocker
#14 Edited by airshocker (31700 posts) -

Try making sure the CPU heatsink/fan is tight and secure. If you keep getting the looping after that it's either the mobo or RAM, though I'd lean more towards the mobo.

Avatar image for darksusperia
#15 Posted by darksusperia (6945 posts) -

How did you go with this Sean?

I got an email from intel today telling me my new cpu is on its way :D

Avatar image for darksusperia
#16 Posted by darksusperia (6945 posts) -

just received my new cpu. have to find time to swap it in now.