connecting xbox 360 controller to pc

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 shyco
Member since 2006 • 613 Posts

How can I enable use of my xbox controller with my pc?.. i would like to use them when operating vechiles. I remember seeing a connection hub, but can not seem to find it.

smbius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

User Lists: 1

#2 smbius
Member since 2002 • 1610 Posts

If your 360 controller is wireless, you'll first need one of these:

XBox 360 Wireless PC Receiver
http://www.lazytechguys.com/?attachment_id=20489

Once you have one OR your 360 controller is USB-based and does NOT need wireless you'll need to do the following:

1. ClickStart, clickRun, typejoy.cplin theOpenbox, and then clickOK.
  2. In the Game Controllers window, clickXNA Gamepad, and then clickProperties.
  3. Click theSettingstab, and then clickCalibrate.
  4. Follow the steps in the Device Calibration Wizard.

NoteWhen you're prompted to use the directional pad (D-Pad), use the left stick instead. If you use the D-Pad, the left stick configuration may be incorrect.
    1. To use this wizard to configure the axes of your game controller, clickNext.
    2. Leave the D-pad (left stick) centered, and then press a button on the controller.
    3. Press all the D-pad's corners (left stick), and then press a button on the controller.
    4. Leave the D-pad (left stick) centered, and then press a button on the controller.
    5. Move the Z Axis (left and right triggers) all the way up and down, and then press a button on the controller.
    6. Move the X Rotation (right stick - left right movement) all the way up and down, and then press a button on the controller.
    7. Move the Y Rotation (right stick - up down movement) all the way up and down, and then press a button on the controller.
    8. To save your configuration, clickFinish.
  5. ClickApply, and then test the operation of the controller.
  6. If you're satisfied with the new settings, clickOKtwice.

Pomn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Pomn
Member since 2008 • 59 Posts

has your controller not got a usb connection? If it does I think you can just plug it straight in.

shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shyco
Ive got the play and charge kit, but I only seem to be able to charge the controller, not use it in anyway.
Ikavnieks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Ikavnieks
Member since 2007 • 2848 Posts
Ive got the play and charge kit, but I only seem to be able to charge the controller, not use it in anyway.shyco
Yeah you can't use the play and charge kit as a connection device for your controller to your PC, you'll need a reciever as the poster above suggested, alternatively you could buy a wired controller. Once you get it sorted I recommend downloading a program like Xpadder, you can map keys to buttons on your controller for games that don't natively support controllers.
mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts
U have a wireless controller...u need the Xbox 360 wireless receiver
shyco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 shyco

As I dont live in the US, a wired controller is just about as expensive as a wireless reciever. Although I might get a wired one even cheaper used at a gamestop :D

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I prefer the wired 360 controller. It has quite a long cord and just plugs in and go.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Ill go with wired just because the battery pack gets in the way at times.