Connecting to Steam issue

This topic is locked from further discussion.

weslicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 weslicon
Member since 2009 • 279 Posts

I keep trying to Play my Steam games but when I do I get a message that says "Unable to connect to the Steam network. 'Offline mode' is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer. You will not be able to use Steam until you can connect to the steam network again" I think the reason I get this is because I recently had a message from my computer that said Steam wanted to connect to my computer but I declined. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you go about fixing it?

edit: Also, when I log in on the website, right next to my name there is an option that says "install Steam" does this mean it somehow uninstalled and needs re-installed? or does that appear even if you do have it?

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Check your Windows Firewall in Control Panel as Steam must be allowed as an exception to have incoming and outgoing connections to the internet.

Edit: That's probably what you declined. You can always try uninstalling and reinstalling steam but you'll want to make sure and backup your steamapps folder as that's where all your downloaded content is.

weslicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 weslicon

thanks, how would I check to see if they are backed up?

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Well, Steam has an option, once you are logged-in when you right-click one of your games in the library and click "Backup Game Files" to backup files. The easiest way (and faster) to backup any file is to close any running program (like Steam from the taskbar) right-click, then click copy, browse somewhere on your computer - usually C - right click in open space and click New - then click Folder - type in a name like STEAM BACKUP or something similar, hit Enter. Double-click that new BACKUP folder - right-click anywhere inside of it, and then click Paste. Depending on the size, it may take a few minutes - and you will want to make sure that you have enough free space for the copy of your file(s). The reason to backup your steamapps is that sometimes if you uninstall and reinstall Steam, it removes them and you'll have to take all the time to redownload everything.
weslicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 weslicon

Alright, thank you very much for your help! :)