evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2017 Posts

I was given a gaming level laptop for a gift that’s about 2 years old. The native screen resolution is 1440. It runs great, but I’ve noticed I get some frame drops and studdering running new high end games at 1440. If I drop the resolution to 1080 the games run like butter with all the graphic options cranked up, however they look like garbage on the 1440 display.

I was thinking about running an HDMI from the port on my laptop to my TV, picking up a wireless keyboard and using it through the TV running at 1080.

Would this work, and would I get the same big performance increase without the screen issues?

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 2951 Posts

Yes, just set the screen to switch off even when open and keep the screen open. My brother had his closed and his screen melted.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12494 Posts

@evilross said:

I was given a gaming level laptop for a gift that’s about 2 years old. The native screen resolution is 1440. It runs great, but I’ve noticed I get some frame drops and studdering running new high end games at 1440. If I drop the resolution to 1080 the games run like butter with all the graphic options cranked up, however they look like garbage on the 1440 display.

I was thinking about running an HDMI from the port on my laptop to my TV, picking up a wireless keyboard and using it through the TV running at 1080.

Would this work, and would I get the same big performance increase without the screen issues?

It would work great.

evilross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 evilross
Member since 2003 • 2017 Posts

Hooked it up this morning, games looked and ran great at 1080 60hz. Played some Warhammer 40k: Mechanicus and Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

Thanks for the input.