connecting a printer to a network

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 shoeman12
Member since 2005 • 8744 Posts
i am trying to connect my HP deskjet F335 to a home network so i can print from my laptop. my printer is connected to my desktop PC via USB. my desktop and laptop share the same router, my desktop is plugged directly into it and my laptop uses it wirelessly. my laptop isn't detecting my printer even though i set it to share across the network. my desktop is running XP and my laptop is running vista.
jmoney3600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 jmoney3600
Member since 2005 • 108 Posts
I have the same problem with my dell printer. And i have it set to share also. And I have Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop.
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts
have you installed the patch that will allow Vista and XP to see eachother? i recall an update being required for that. also is your printer being assigned a name or IP address on your networks?
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 shoeman12
my printer is assigned a name. i have the latest windows updates on both computers.
Rhamsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Rhamsus
Member since 2007 • 1078 Posts
when you goto add a printer and choose a network printer, what are you doing next? you should be choosing (and i have to cocnfirm this when i get home my work comp uses XP) but you shoulSubmitd choose the second option which will allow you to connect to the printer via name. is this where your comp is telling you it cannot find it?
shoeman12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 shoeman12
i got it to work. i had to reconfigure the network and plug my printer directly into my laptop to install the drivers.