Computer wont boot, No Display, No POST, Fans and drive are running

This topic is locked from further discussion.

a_kraker99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 a_kraker99
Member since 2003 • 950 Posts

I dont know where to start. I have had this computer for about 2 years now and havent had any problems with it. I restarted it about a week ago and I had to boot with the "last known good configuration" for some reason. I also had it a couple of times where it would start up and get to the windows load screen and then freeze reboot. Finally I got it to boot and I didnt restart it until about 2 days ago. It shut down and the fans/drives started up but there was no display at all. There were also no POST beeps.

I have tried everything possible just to get it to beep some kind of code at me. Unhooked everything but 1 stick of ram, video card and CPU. Still nothing. I tested the 24 pin connector and 4 pin cpu connector and they are fine. What kind of issue could this be? I am leaning towards CPU or Motherboard failure. Is there anything else I can do to test anything?

ASUS A8N-SLI

AMD Opteron 165 Socket 939

2GB OCZ performance RAM PC3200

7800gt

2x 80gb Western Digital in RAID0

APEVIA 500W PSU

Windows Vista 32-Bit

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 RayvinAzn
Member since 2004 • 12552 Posts

Apevia...yuck. That's just about the worst brand you can buy.

I'd check whatever is most convenient. If you know someone with a 939 setup you could check your processor and motherboard, or else you could see if someone has a power supply you can jump in right quick.

a_kraker99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 a_kraker99

I guess you can call it good timing but I actually was planning on building a new system and bought parts for it the day before it crashed. I still need to get the old system running to get some files off my RAID0 disks. I am supposed to get the parts today so I will try the new PSU and video card since those are the only compatible parts.

Yes I know APEVIA sucks but it worked for me for 2 year at least with overclocking. The power supply looks pretty too. ha.

Any idea why I wouldnt even get POST beeps?

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RayvinAzn

Your old rig probably didn't even break 300w under full load, I should hope even a crappy 500w would be capable of handling it.

As for not getting POST beeps, I've seen any number of causes, ranging from the case speaker going kaput to the motherboard being bricked. Power is also a possibility, the power supply may have enough juice to spin up the fans but not enough to get anything else to go. It could be the processor as well.

a_kraker99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 a_kraker99

Do you think I can rule out the memory being the issue? I have tried both sticks 1 at a time in all 4 slots. I guess it could be a bad case speaker. I found out that I had it in backwards for the past 2 years and turned it around just yesterday so I have never heard it beep before.

I guess the only other thing I can try after the video card and PSU is the processor. Know of anyplace where I can get my hands on a really cheap 939 processor? If that wont work I guess I will just assume that the problem is with the motherboard.

RayvinAzn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RayvinAzn

I've never seen two sticks of RAM fail at once (well, at least not without several other things going bad at the same time, due to a fire), and since you' tested them thoroughly I'd say you can rule them out.

The case speaker was just an example, it's not going to keep your computer from working. It's possible that if your graphics card failed your computer would give the illusion of being "on" without actually displaying anything or making any noises to give you a clue, but again, two components failing at once isn't very likely.

I'd get a new power supply first (or if you did already, use it). They're not outdated very quickly, and a good one now can easily be used in a new build. A graphics card wouldn't be a terrible idea either if you're going to build a new machine soon. As for a replacement processor, you can find them for $20-$30 on some etailers if you're lucky, but they'll all be slower than your current chip.

a_kraker99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 a_kraker99

Im not too concerned about speed. I just want to be able to get it running again so I get get some files off my RAID0 array. If its the motherboard I will have to get the exact same one so that my RAID array will work.

I will update the thread later today on whether the new PSU or video card worked.

Avatar image for headshot_reaper
headshot_reaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 headshot_reaper
Member since 2005 • 185 Posts
i know it may sound crazy but check liquids everywhere,i once had a little water spill into my keyboard and my comp wouldnt post for a day :D,i rippped it apart trying to fix it only to find out that if i disconnected my keyboard it would boot :D
a_kraker99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 a_kraker99

i know it may sound crazy but check liquids everywhere,i once had a little water spill into my keyboard and my comp wouldnt post for a day :D,i rippped it apart trying to fix it only to find out that if I disconnected my keyboard it would boot :Dheadshot_reaper

I am to the point where I would try anything. If someone told me that putting the ram in backwards would fix it I would probably try it. Nothing sounds crazy.

a_kraker99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 a_kraker99

UPDATE:

I tried out a new power supply and a new video card but still got nothing. I managed to get it to do one long continuous beep when I turned it on without the 6 pin connector on the Video card but havent been able to get it to do that again. I guess that means I narrowed it down to either RAM, CPU or Motherboard. I grabbed a stick of 184-pin ram from my work today so I will see how that goes but I dont think it will work unless both of my RAM sticks went bad at the same time.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
Alright. Have you tried disconnecting everything you don't absolutely need to boot? Like, try it with the raid array, one stick of memory and the video card only. Disconnect your optical drive, sound card (if any), and all your UBS connected externals. If it doesn't work, swap the stick of ram with the one you pulled and try it again. If still nothing, disconnect everything from the board and PSU, then reset the BIOS and reconnect the minimal components. A dirty, or corroded connector can be fixed by doing this. If after all that it still won't work, try the memory you brought from work. After that if the rig is still dead it's prolly the board. Maybe the MOBO just died, or the cr4ppy PSU you had died and took the board with it. At that point your hopes of recovering your data is fairly slim. Sorry if this is the case. :(
a_kraker99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 a_kraker99

I have tried it with pretty much nothing but the power connector on the board just to see if I can get some kind of beep code but I dont get anything. I have cleared the CMOS many times but still nothing. I will try the other stick of RAM when I get off work but I dont really have to high of hopes for that making it work. The fact that there is no beep codes makes me think it must be either the CPU or motherboard. But if it were the CPU then the motherboard should give me a no cpu beep code if I take it out right?

Goodfella_no4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Goodfella_no4
Member since 2004 • 352 Posts

I am having exactly the same situation with an old Pentium 4 socket 478 motherboard. I disconnected everything, including the RAMs, graphics card AND THE CPU itself!!! And still no beeps. Nothing, just silence.

The funny thing is that the PC sometimes boots. Yes, it boots straight to Windows, but restarts itself at random or the moment I open any program.

I also have cleared the CMOS many times, and once when it did boot, I entered the BIOS screen and selected "Load Optimized settings", when I restarted for the option to take effect, the PC wouldn't boot.

I am going crazy too... I will try to take it to the Gigabyte guys (it's a GB board) to have them look at it.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
When I had that exact same problem the culprit turned out to be the motherboard, after an RMA (and 4 weeks) everything is right as rain.
Sentinel672002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sentinel672002
Member since 2004 • 1585 Posts
Yup, when everything has been tried and still no beeps, its usually the MOBO. It might have been that cheap PSU, but there no way of knowing without putting a meter on it. At any rate, I wouldn't try using it until I did. No point in possibly kakin' two systems with the same wonky PSU... :|