Computer will not boot, common solutions not solving the problem. PLZ help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IamTakkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 IamTakkun
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts

I'm sure this is a very common problem, but unfortunately for me the common solutions aren't helping. When I got home from work one day my computer was on a blank black screen not responding to any keystrokes or mouse movements. I reset my rig and when it was in the process of booting back up it went back to a blank dos-looking screen. I know it wasn't dos, but it's simple like that. It simply says that it Reboot and select proper boot device or insert media boot disc etc etc etc....

I have gone into the bios and reprioritized the boot devices between HDD and DVD after inserting the back-up disc I have. Still nothing.

I have read a few tips online and nothing seems to cure this.

If you have seen this and found a solution, it would be great!

Thank you in advance.

Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts

I'm sure this is a very common problem, but unfortunately for me the common solutions aren't helping. When I got home from work one day my computer was on a blank black screen not responding to any keystrokes or mouse movements. I reset my rig and when it was in the process of booting back up it went back to a blank dos-looking screen. I know it wasn't dos, but it's simple like that. It simply says that it Reboot and select proper boot device or insert media boot disc etc etc etc....

I have gone into the bios and reprioritized the boot devices between HDD and DVD after inserting the back-up disc I have. Still nothing.

Thank you in advance.

IamTakkun
Your hard drive didn't fail did it? Does it still recognize your hard drive in the BIOS?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

Is your hard drive recognized in the bios? If so, you could try reinstalling the bootmgr. If using vista go in cmd from the recovery disc(go to recovery>cmd) and do bootrec /FixMbr and do bootrec /FixBoot Though I'm not sure if that's the problem, because it should show a different error. Also your hard drive could just be dead.

One more thing, make sure the hard drive is physically plugged in and try changing the sata cables. (Assuming it doesn't see it in the BIOS)

IamTakkun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 IamTakkun
Member since 2004 • 264 Posts

Both HDDs are in the bios, only one has the OS on it though. xp sp2. I put the disc in the drive and tried to boot it from dvd, but it says disc read error, ctrl + alt + delete

C2C_Moltar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 C2C_Moltar
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts

Thank you in advance.

IamTakkun
What it sounds like to me is that somehow, and this can happen with any operating system, is your hard drive deleted its MBR (Master Boot Record) or some similar boot file. Your operating system boot disk can repair the problem.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JigglyWiggly_

Both HDDs are in the bios, only one has the OS on it though. xp sp2. I put the disc in the drive and tried to boot it from dvd, but it says disc read error, ctrl + alt + delete

IamTakkun
You're booting from the wrong one it seems.
C2C_Moltar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 C2C_Moltar
Member since 2008 • 156 Posts
[QUOTE="IamTakkun"]

JigglyWiggly_

I think your right. It seems as though your computer is attempting to boot from the wrong HDD/partition. Change your HDD boot order in your BIOS.
Avatar image for UltimateGamer95
UltimateGamer95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 UltimateGamer95
Member since 2006 • 4720 Posts
[QUOTE="IamTakkun"]

JigglyWiggly_

Yes I believe this is the answer!
Threesixtyci

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 Threesixtyci
Member since 2006 • 4451 Posts
Sound to me that your HDD has failed. And by the sounds of the part about putting a disk in a drive.... sounds like your backup disk is damaged, too. You're probably going to have to reinstall windows to the HDD that's good.... or buy a new HDD and install windows onto it. Personally, I suggest getting a new HDD, because you'll likely lose everything on the second drive otherwise, when Windows reformats it, before installing itself onto it.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JigglyWiggly_
Sound to me that your HDD has failed. And by the sounds of the part about putting a disk in a drive.... sounds like your backup disk is damaged, too. You're probably going to have to reinstall windows to the HDD that's good.... or buy a new HDD and install windows onto it. Personally, I suggest getting a new HDD, because you'll likely lose everything on the second drive otherwise, when Windows reformats it, before installing itself onto it.Threesixtyci
There is no reason to reformat if the hdd works.