Computer Stupid and Could Use Some Advise

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Kowl
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

So here is my problem. I had a friend build this pc for me awhile back. It's a decent computer but when playing games like Fallout 3 I usually run at a solid 60 fps but occasionally drop in to the 40 fps area. Which isn't to big of a deal. At other times it can drop to 15 fps or lower. Which is definitley something that ruins the game play.

I'm not very computer savy which is why I had my friend build the computer. I just tell him I want something good enough to run X game and he runs off and builds it. Therefore Im not 100% sure whats in it. Yes I know I should pay more attention but that's a topic for another day.

Anyway here is a screen shot of some of whats running my computer

I figured I could try upgrading this myself but since I cant afford to do it all at one time and Im not sure where to start. Would it be better to start off with a new video card, more RAM, buy a new motherboard and processor? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If any other stats or more info that could be helpful please let me know, I just wasnt what sure would help or not.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Your CPU isn't running at even its specced speed. Go into the bios by pressing delete whilst it's booting and set the CPU multiplier to 8.5x or 9x if that isn't available. What graphics card are you using?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

Your CPU isn't running at even its specced speed. Go into the bios by pressing delete whilst it's booting and set the CPU multiplier to 8.5x or 9x if that isn't available. What graphics card are you using?markop2003

No it is lol, its just the intel power saving thing (forgot the name of it), its just downclocking itself.

@TC on the cpu-z tab, click graphics and list the values, specifically the name.

Kowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kowl

The CPU multiplier is also called CPU clock ratio right? If so then on the BIOS under clock ratio it says Min 6 and Max 8. Its set on 8. Under that is Fine CPU clock ratio which has the choice of 0.0 or 0.5. Its set at 0.5.

It has a Geoforce GTX 260 in it.

Blubadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Blubadox
Member since 2006 • 3777 Posts

The CPU multiplier is also called CPU clock ratio right? If so then on the BIOS under clock ratio it says Min 6 and Max 8. Its set on 8. Under that is Fine CPU clock ratio which has the choice of 0.0 or 0.5. Its set at 0.5.

It has a Geoforce GTX 260 in it.

Kowl

Just so you know, you cannot unlock multiplier unless you've got an extreme edition CPU. Best you can do is increase the FSB, make sure you have disabled Speed Step & Vanderpool (Virtualization thingy) before OCing.

titanium_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 titanium_basic
Member since 2003 • 698 Posts

How much memory do you have?

Kowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Kowl

4 gigs ddr2

psychobrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 psychobrew
Member since 2008 • 8888 Posts
Do you have the latest video and sound drivers installed?
Kowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kowl

Yes I do have the latest drivers installed.

markop2003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 markop2003
Member since 2005 • 29917 Posts
Defrag your disk especially the driver, windows and fallout files. Use a proper defragger like defraggler which actually shows the full details of the fragmentation. Also post a screen shot of the processes tab in task manager.
Kowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kowl

I am running defraggler now but here is the screen shot of my task manager

Kowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kowl

Noticed I wasn't showing everything so here is another picture.