Computer noob in need of advice

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

I am planning on picking up my first gaming computer here in a little while and was in need of some help. I was pointed to a rig that is supposedly quite powerful and all of the reviews I read about it were positive. It is called a, "Digital Storm Hailstorm" it is pre-assembled which I know may irk some of the hard-core computer guys. I just felt that with my level of knowledge about computers this would be the best fit for me.

I would provide a link but I am a Firefox user and GS will not permit me to do so. The only other information I can provide is the price, 2,313$

Basically I would like to know if it will be able to run three games, Age of Empires I & II Gold edition, Empire and Napoleon Total War Complete Edition, and Crusader Kings 2. I would also like to know if I will still have room for other downloads or will I need to juggle them. I don't know if juggling is the right term, but what I mean is will I have to un-install this so I may install this?

Also, does anybody know if this order comes with anything other than a tower. I know that some orders will send you such things as a keyboard and mouse. This is not particularly important but, I just wanted to know what else I would need to buy to be up and running.

Thank you for your time.

#2 Posted by Stinger78 (5845 posts) -
You can link in firefox easily by putting left-right brackets around url at the front of the http, and left-right brackets with forward-slash (ending) url at the end. As far as those games are concerned, I would think you're going way overboard just to run them - at least it would seem that way with Age of Empires 1 & 2 and Crusader Kings 2 - not sure on the requirements of Total War.
#3 Posted by 04dcarraher (22948 posts) -
$2.3K for a gaming pc o boy, your most likely wasting your money.
#4 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13796 posts) -

$2.3K for a gaming pc o boy, your most likely wasting your money. 04dcarraher

This

#5 Posted by Yagnav (6107 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]$2.3K for a gaming pc o boy, your most likely wasting your money. GummiRaccoon

This

+1 Don't know what the specs are (can't be bothered to google it) but for that money you better be getting 3 way eyefinity with 2 way crossfire 7970's, keyboard, mouse, the whole works basically !!
#6 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

You can link in firefox easily by putting left-right brackets around url at the front of the http, and left-right brackets with forward-slash (ending) url at the end. As far as those games are concerned, I would think you're going way overboard just to run them - at least it would seem that way with Age of Empires 1 & 2 and Crusader Kings 2 - not sure on the requirements of Total War.Stinger78
Thanks for the advice afraid I wasn't able to put it to use though.

I fear you mis-understood me, my intention isn't to simply run these games and these games only. I want a rather powerful P.C. so I can try my hand at modding and the like. I also would like to know if this computer would be able to handle all these games being installed at once, and other games as well.

Thank you.

#7 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

$2.3K for a gaming pc o boy, your most likely wasting your money. 04dcarraher
What do you mean?

#8 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13796 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]$2.3K for a gaming pc o boy, your most likely wasting your money. chaosclown17

What do you mean?

Cut that in half and you have a great computer

#9 Posted by BattleSpectre (7989 posts) -

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]$2.3K for a gaming pc o boy, your most likely wasting your money. chaosclown17

What do you mean?

For the same price if not cheaper you can build your own PC which will be an absolute monster, and if not better then the one you want. They ask too much money for pre-builts these days.

#10 Posted by JigglyWiggly_ (24619 posts) -

$2.3K is about what I'd spend on a new pc actually...

but that's just me

3770k + gtx 690

2x256gb ssds in raid 0

2x3tb drives in raid 1

+ everything else

#11 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaosclown17"]

[QUOTE="04dcarraher"]$2.3K for a gaming pc o boy, your most likely wasting your money. BattleSpectre

What do you mean?

For the same price if not cheaper you can build your own PC which will be an absolute monster, and if not better then the one you want. They ask too much money for pre-builts these days.

While this may be true I do not think that it is the solution for me. I am not computer savvy, nor am I enough of handy man to build anything more than a Lego set.

With that being said, should this computer be able to handle my gaming and other computing needs for the foreseeable future.

#12 Posted by 04dcarraher (22948 posts) -

[QUOTE="BattleSpectre"]

[QUOTE="chaosclown17"]What do you mean?

chaosclown17

While this may be true I do not think that it is the solution for me. I am not computer savvy, nor am I enough of handy man to build anything more than a Lego set.

With that being said, should this computer be able to handle my gaming and other computing needs for the foreseeable future.

It all depends on the specs, but for over 2K your wasting your money big time, because you can buy $1000-$1200 prebuilts that are most likely as fast as that 2k Pc. you have to shop smart.
#13 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
That computer costs $2.3k and only comes with roughly $1.3-1.5k worth of parts.... So I just gotta ask, is it worth about $1000 for someone else to build your computer for you?
Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
#14 Posted by deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9 (7779 posts) -

Yea I don't think it will have trouble with AoE 1.

Not sure about the second though.

It only has one 670 for that price? Damn.

#15 Posted by jakes456 (1398 posts) -

For your first computer I would just get an Alienware. They are compact, sleek, and super fast. They can play any game on ultra settings. Plus they have a cool Alien logo.

#16 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13796 posts) -

For your first computer I would just get an Alienware. They are compact, sleek, and super fast. They can play any game on ultra settings. Plus they have a cool Alien logo.

jakes456

get out

#17 Posted by Yagnav (6107 posts) -

jakes456
Not sure if sarcasm or trolling..... To the OP, if you're dead set on spending that kind of money, why even ask us ?? You dont wanna build your own and everyone already told you, its waaay too expensive and totally not worth it, if you're expecting any of us to agree, validate or endorse your decision, well we're not. You're probably thinking is it worth it ? lets see what the 'pseudo experts' have to say, and then you go to other forums and ask the same thing over and over and get the same answer. Seems you've already made up your mind though, just buy it and good luck and have fun !!!
#18 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

[QUOTE="jakes456"]

Yagnav

Not sure if sarcasm or trolling..... To the OP, if you're dead set on spending that kind of money, why even ask us ?? You dont wanna build your own and everyone already told you, its waaay too expensive and totally not worth it, if you're expecting any of us to agree, validate or endorse your decision, well we're not. You're probably thinking is it worth it ? lets see what the 'pseudo experts' have to say, and then you go to other forums and ask the same thing over and over and get the same answer. Seems you've already made up your mind though, just buy it and good luck and have fun !!!

I fear that there has been a mis-communication. I understand that many people here are fans of building their own computers and believe pre-built are over-priced. I also understand my limitations, an impasse it would seem.

However, my questions are, how good is this computer (in terms of performance possible)? Will it be able to play the aforementioned games (not at the same time but without having to un-install and re-install every time I would like something different) with room left over? Not is worth this kind of money, or anything else. I understand that many of the more savvy users will think me jack ass but I believe pre-built to be the best route for me. If somebody could please answer me this question I will thank you and leave.

To all the people who have already given me advice, thank you.

#19 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13796 posts) -

[QUOTE="Yagnav"][QUOTE="jakes456"]

chaosclown17

I fear that there has been a mis-communication. I understand that many people here are fans of building their own computers and believe pre-built are over-priced. I also understand my limitations, an impasse it would seem.

However, my questions are, how good is this computer (in terms of performance possible)? Will it be able to play the aforementioned games (not at the same time but without having to un-install and re-install every time I would like something different) with room left over? Not is worth this kind of money, or anything else. I understand that many of the more savvy users will think me jack ass but I believe pre-built to be the best route for me. If somebody could please answer me this question I will thank you and leave.

You can buy all the parts, take them to a computer shop and pay a service fee for them to build it for you.

#20 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

[QUOTE="chaosclown17"]

[QUOTE="Yagnav"] Not sure if sarcasm or trolling..... To the OP, if you're dead set on spending that kind of money, why even ask us ?? You dont wanna build your own and everyone already told you, its waaay too expensive and totally not worth it, if you're expecting any of us to agree, validate or endorse your decision, well we're not. You're probably thinking is it worth it ? lets see what the 'pseudo experts' have to say, and then you go to other forums and ask the same thing over and over and get the same answer. Seems you've already made up your mind though, just buy it and good luck and have fun !!!GummiRaccoon

You can buy all the parts, take them to a computer shop and pay a service fee for them to build it for you.

In the event that I become more computer savvy that could be incredibly useful advice, and I thank you for it. However, I do not trust myself to pick up all the required parts.

#21 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="chaosclown17"]

chaosclown17

In the event that I become more computer savvy that could be incredibly useful advice, and I thank you for it. However, I do not trust myself to pick up all the required parts.

Give us a budget and we can do it for you.
#22 Posted by General_X (9137 posts) -
In fact, I went ahead and parted out a build that uses the same, or more cost-effective components as the Hailstorm and here's what it comes down to (note that this build has a Blu-Ray drive and and a solid state drive with twice the capacity as the Hailstorm):
#23 Posted by GummiRaccoon (13796 posts) -

I really really like my c70 case. I got green, but it also comes in black. Easiest case to work in I have ever used (that wasn't godly huge)

#24 Posted by Yagnav (6107 posts) -
[QUOTE="General_X"]In fact, I went ahead and parted out a build that uses the same, or more cost-effective components as the Hailstorm and here's what it comes down to (note that this build has a Blu-Ray drive and and a solid state drive with twice the capacity as the Hailstorm):

+1 I'd swap the blu-ray for a 2tb HDD and go just DVD drive instead, if storage was your concern. Also if you went with an AMD graphics card you can get upto 3 newer games bundled for free. This costs $1640 shipped vs the 2.3K build you're looking at. The savings pay for a nice keyboard, mouse (get a razer if you like bling) and a monitor, maybe even 3 monitors for a surround or eyefinity setup. Here's what you can get for 2.1K and will pretty much max out ANY game you throw at it, and it includes everything you need, monitor, blinged out keyboard etc. that you'd have to pay extra for all of that with the prebuilt pc, not to mention HUGE e-peen too.
#25 Posted by Horgen (117434 posts) -
Damn guys. How about answering his actual question before you start pestering him about building it yourself is cheaper? TC if you are curious about building it yourself I will suggest youtube and one of the stickied threads in this board. When it comes to parts needed we can help you(as already seen here) however when it comes to the GPU it is the ever ongoing battle between AMD and nVidia. You just have to pick one. Without having looked up the actual computer you are talking about, I will say that I will be surprised if it doesn't run todays games at max/high. And you can have several games installed at once, how many depends on the storage space in the computer. 50+ wouldn't surprise me.
#26 Posted by chaosclown17 (307 posts) -

Damn guys. How about answering his actual question before you start pestering him about building it yourself is cheaper? TC if you are curious about building it yourself I will suggest youtube and one of the stickied threads in this board. When it comes to parts needed we can help you(as already seen here) however when it comes to the GPU it is the ever ongoing battle between AMD and nVidia. You just have to pick one. Without having looked up the actual computer you are talking about, I will say that I will be surprised if it doesn't run todays games at max/high. And you can have several games installed at once, how many depends on the storage space in the computer. 50+ wouldn't surprise me. horgen123
Thank you very much. That all I needed to know.

#27 Posted by kraken2109 (13271 posts) -

[QUOTE="horgen123"]Damn guys. How about answering his actual question before you start pestering him about building it yourself is cheaper? TC if you are curious about building it yourself I will suggest youtube and one of the stickied threads in this board. When it comes to parts needed we can help you(as already seen here) however when it comes to the GPU it is the ever ongoing battle between AMD and nVidia. You just have to pick one. Without having looked up the actual computer you are talking about, I will say that I will be surprised if it doesn't run todays games at max/high. And you can have several games installed at once, how many depends on the storage space in the computer. 50+ wouldn't surprise me. chaosclown17

Thank you very much. That all I needed to know.

We are just trying to save you $1000, the build generalX posted is better and far cheaper. Chances are there is a shop that will build for a small fee, or maybe you have a friend/relative that can do it for you.