Computer crashes whenever it is slightly stressed, please help.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

ManufacturerINTEL_ProcessorIntel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory3326MB RAMHard Drive250 GB

Operation SystemWindows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090804-1435)

Video CardATI Radeon HD 3870Physics CardNoMonitorPlug and Play Monitor

Hi guys, so I'm looking for some insight on my problem I've been having for the past few months. I've had this PC for a long time, and the games I would normally play on it were skyrim, Counter Strike: Source, Diablo 3, Arma 2 and a few other relatively current games. Now about 4 months ago I moved and I hooked up my pc without any problems, and after a few weeks of using my computer, I was experiencing an issue where whenever I'd run a game, when the game would load my PC would instantly shut off.

It seems as though when my PC is even slightly stressed, it shuts off completely. However, games such as counter strike 1.6, Morrowind, and LoL this problem doesn't occur, probably because these games aren't the least bit demanding. I've trouble shooted the hell out of this and I still have the same issue, I'm having trouble wraping my head around this and it's become very annoying. I recently reformatted and installed Vista 64 bit as my OS, and still the same issue. Any input would help and I'm just looking for anyone who might have any idea how I could fix this. Thank you.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 Barujin
Member since 2009 • 308 Posts

It sounds like heat is the problem. You should check all of the components (especially the motherboard and video card) for anything that looks odd. Honestly, heat damage might not even be noticable, but it's worth a try. Often, the RAM on video cards doesn't get very much cooling.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Origin-

It sounds like heat is the problem. You should check all of the components (especially the motherboard and video card) for anything that looks odd. Honestly, heat damage might not even be noticable, but it's worth a try. Often, the RAM on video cards doesn't get very much cooling.

Barujin

Thanks for the response, don't judge me but I keep my pc case open to try and keep it cooler, but you could be right, I'll try to check out where the heating is at, however, if this was the problem, what's a possible solution?

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Barujin

[QUOTE="Barujin"]

-Origin-

Thanks for the response, don't judge me but I keep my pc case open to try and keep it cooler, but you could be right, I'll try to check out where the heating is at, however, if this was the problem, what's a possible solution?

Well, the way to prevent heat damage is with little heat sinks like these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-708-008&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=2 They're excellent. As for fixing existing heat damage, you're looking at replacement parts. I hope that's not your problem.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Origin-

I'm currently not doing anything besides looking at this forum, and the temperature is at 65 Celcius, is this too high? How could I possibly lower the heat, I have my OC settings set to lowest possible.

Barujin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Barujin

I'm currently not doing anything besides looking at this forum, and the temperature is at 65 Celcius, is this too high? How could I possibly lower the heat, I have my OC settings set to lowest possible.

-Origin-

That makes it 150 Fahrenheit. That's warmer than it should be. Remember, though, that you're seeing just one temperature sensor in the entire computer. When I'm looking for hot components to put sinks on, I'll actually run a game and check the surface temperatures throughout the computer with my fingers. Just be careful. :)

dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

Hold on there! Stock cooler is fine if you are not overclocking; in which case, get a decent cooler. What are your temps? like max temps, run Prime 95 or a similar software for a while, if you saw 65, then it is likely to go higher when more stressed.

Provide temps for GPU and mobo as well.

Also, what is your PSU? How long have you had it for?

Another point: Try running the games without any overclock, even if it is a slight OC. Chances are you may not have done it right, eg memory timings not set properly, as well as the FSB setting.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Which temp was 65? CPU? GPU?

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -Origin-

This was 65 degrees on the GPU

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts
Either something is overheating or it's a PSU issue.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts

-Origin-
that is perfectly fine. Now onto the rest of my comments! ie other temps and PSU model/ years of usage.
kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

-Origin-
That's cool, mine runs 85 at load.