Companies should ditch DRM

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Aleksanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Aleksanian
Member since 2004 • 37 Posts

ok...Like everyone else I am a DRM hater....but this thread is not to rant on DRM because of its limitations. What I want to say in here is the real reason DRM should not be used anymore...and that is....because its obsolete.

The point of DRM is not for the game to be copied and etc....but...companies should realize that it doesn't help them at all. Games still get hacked and put on torrent sites almost at the same time as they ship in stores and even before sometimes...like it was the case for spore. I have a friend who never actually paid for a PC game...except for splinter cell 3 and that's because it took almost a year to crack that game. Congrats to Ubisoft with SC3 protection cause it was the most effective one I have seen in my entire gamer career. Even if it was kind of an annoying protection with some issues....I even had a hard time install it...but then it wasn't so bad when you figured it.

So yeah...instead of using DRM which doesn't help them at all and probably hurts them more they should find something else...

Oh and realize that games have more chances to be pirated when they have DRM cause the cracked copies don't have that useless protection. Like we so well learned with Bioshock where the hackers had less trouble playing the game than people who actually bought it :P

Cheers

DGFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 DGFreak
Member since 2003 • 2234 Posts
You think? :P
Thebettafish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Thebettafish
Member since 2006 • 329 Posts

If you take a good look at Bethesda, you'll notice that they do not put stringent copy protection features on their games. In oblivion's case, it had almost nothing, and was freely distributable. However, Oblivion is one of the harder games to find, because I believe a lot of people respect them for it.

I agree that companies should ditch DRM, or at least not be so invasive about it. What's a better alternative? Someone has to conceed first, game makers by lowering their prices, or pirates by accepting the fact that software developers do need to be paid for the work they've put into it, or we need a radically different change that allows game developers to participate in the open source, free distribution ideology (although there's far less money in this).

-Betta

henrynarits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 henrynarits
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts
EA is moving in the right way slowly...Red Alert 3 has 5 installs and u can reset them....i dont understand why u just dont remove it but dunno...it will die next year