Cleaning LCD Monitors?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
My aunt gave me an "LCD Screen Cleaner" awhile back and I decided to bust it out. And boy - was it terrible. It left streaks all over my monitor and during the day I have to look through a layer of streaks to see my damn screen. How do you properly clean an LCD monitor?
schesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 schesak
Member since 2006 • 711 Posts

First, let me tell you the most important thing to NOT do. Do NOT, under any circumstance, use a cleaner with ammonia in it (which is the base of a lot of glass cleaners). Ammonia based cleaners will cause your LCD monitor to "yellow" over time. Not good.

I usually clean mine as per the instructions that came with it:

1. Turn off the computer or display. You may need to turn off the computer in order to turn off some Apple displays.
2. Dampen a clean, soft, lint-free cloth or paper with an alcohol/water solution (20 parts alcohol to 80 parts water).
3. Wipe the screen. Do not spray liquid directly on the screen.

I also sometimes just use one of the lens cleaning packets I have for my glass when I am feeling lazy, as they work too.

I have read other places that alcohol can dry out and cause cracking on the protective coating of the monitor and "just water" is what you should use, but considering an alcohol solution is what the monitor manufacture recommended, I trust it's okay for mine. I get streaking if I just use plain water, probably cause it dries too slow.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Thanks for the warning. The liquid which came with the cleaner was de-ionized water with polymers. So all I had to do was get a paper-towel and wipe the screen with water? Thanks :P
Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts
That is strange I just last night put up a post like this and what are the odds of some one else beating me to it but I'm glad it isn't that complicated to clean a lcd screen.
Avatar image for blackleather223
blackleather223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blackleather223
Member since 2004 • 1569 Posts
That is strange I just last night put up a post like this and what are the odds of some one else beating me to it but I'm glad it isn't that complicated to clean a lcd screen.
adam92682

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 adam92682
Member since 2002 • 2001 Posts

Thanks for the warning. The liquid which came with the cleaner was de-ionized water with polymers. So all I had to do was get a paper-towel and wipe the screen with water? Thanks :PGodLovesDead

paper towels are abrasive and will make your screen cloudy after several uses.

walrus1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 walrus1
Member since 2005 • 419 Posts
I use Fellows wet/dry LCD wipes.
m2twkisfun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 m2twkisfun
Member since 2007 • 380 Posts
I grap an old shirt of the floor, pour some water on it from a water bottle, and wipe. It's not pretty but it gets the job done.