This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by navysentinel (34 posts) -

what is civ 5 bout just woundering bc if its a good game i may but it but i want to no what its about first

#2 Posted by Vfanek (7719 posts) -
Seriously? Heard of Google?
Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
#3 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7515 posts) -

Civilization is a turn based strategy where you guide your own country from primitive pre-historical beginnings, through ancient, medieval and modern times, and into the near-future. You build cities, harvest resources, build units, explore the world, build world wonders, discover new technologies, and negotiate trade with other world leaders (or just kill them all). You can win the game in a number of ways, from conquering the world, to winning the space race, or by just having the highest score when the clock runs out.

It's widely considered to be the daddy of turn-based strategy games. And quite rightly so. It's incredibly deep and comprehensive, more than anyone can really go into here.

There's a playable demo coming out tomorrow when the game gets released, so keep an eye out for it.

Here's a gameplay video: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/16/civilization-5s-epic-13-minute-gameplay-walkthrough-video

#4 Posted by trasherhead (3058 posts) -
Holy cow, I would install a auto correct plug-in. Cause your writing is beyond this world. Oh and punctuation is your friend.
#5 Posted by kozzy1234 (35966 posts) -

Its a strategy game that I can describe as a videogame version of Risk and Settlers boardgames.

You have to build cities, armies and do diplomacy,etc..

Great series, been around for years and every game in the series has been great.

Go to gametrailers.com and watch there video review for it! Should show ya what the game is about.

#6 Posted by mrbojangles25 (40323 posts) -

As much as I love the Civ series (and I will definately get Civ 5)

It still boggles my mind why there has been only one Alpha Centauri.

#7 Posted by navysentinel (34 posts) -

Civilization is a turn based strategy where you guide your own country from primitive pre-historical beginnings, through ancient, medieval and modern times, and into the near-future. You build cities, harvest resources, build units, explore the world, build world wonders, discover new technologies, and negotiate trade with other world leaders (or just kill them all). You can win the game in a number of ways, from conquering the world, to winning the space race, or by just having the highest score when the clock runs out.

It's widely considered to be the daddy of turn-based strategy games. And quite rightly so. It's incredibly deep and comprehensive, more than anyone can really go into here.

There's a playable demo coming out tomorrow when the game gets released, so keep an eye out for it.

Here's a gameplay video: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/16/civilization-5s-epic-13-minute-gameplay-walkthrough-video

broken_bass_bin

so its basicly like the red alert seres nd thanx for the help

#8 Posted by mkaliaz (1979 posts) -

navysentinel

'

Uh, no. Not at all.

#9 Posted by beau_x (181 posts) -

[QUOTE="broken_bass_bin"]

navysentinel

No, it's not like Red Alert at all. Civ plays more like a board game. Games can last hours on end. If you're not a dedicated RTS fan, you might want to pass. Many casual RTS people tend to view Civ as "boring" as it takes a while to get cooking. There's no instant payoff. It's not like C&C where you can build up a war factory and have a huge army of tanks in less than 10 minutes.

#10 Posted by murekkep (706 posts) -

broken_bass_bin
You don't need to make that long statement. Probably he'll get bored in miliseconds and disparage the game everywhere.
#11 Posted by StopThePresses (2767 posts) -

mrbojangles25

I know. It sucks. SMAC didn't sell as well though. It's probably as simple as that.

I've seen the argument put forth that the problem is that SMAC does not have the same kind of mass appeal. People know what the stuff in Civ V is. It's reality. It's not reality in its machinations, of course. It doesn't even make a lick of sense that the same world leader is around for thousands of years, but everything about the way the game is presented is something that people can relate to. It's grounded in something people know. SMAC, even though it uses basically the same game mechanics, has a lot of stuff where people look at it and it's, well, alien to them. Even to me some of the names of technologies in the game seem rather arbitrary.

Civ V is probably as close as such a complex game is ever going to get as being a game for the masses. SMAC is decidedly and unabashedly very "geek".

#12 Posted by StopThePresses (2767 posts) -

navysentinel

I don't even remotely understand how you arrived at that (very incorrect) conclusion.

#13 Posted by Baranga (14217 posts) -

mrbojangles25

Because it flopped and doesn't have mass appeal. Brian Reynolds figured out that such spin-offs don't work after Rise of Legends :/

Avatar image for broken_bass_bin
#14 Posted by broken_bass_bin (7515 posts) -

navysentinel

Err, no. Not even slightly.

#15 Posted by edinsftw (4244 posts) -

[QUOTE="navysentinel"]

beau_x

No, it's not like Red Alert at all. Civ plays more like a board game. Games can last hours on end. If you're not a dedicated RTS fan, you might want to pass. Many casual RTS people tend to view Civ as "boring" as it takes a while to get cooking. There's no instant payoff. It's not like C&C where you can build up a war factory and have a huge army of tanks in less than 10 minutes.

Thats funny because i dont like rts like starcraft, C&C, or Supreme commander...yet i love civ.

#16 Posted by triangle99 (34 posts) -

Agree on Alpha Centauri - i think that, too. Amazing game but only one ... WTF??

#17 Posted by AluRev (172 posts) -

[QUOTE="beau_x"]

edinsftw

Thats funny because i dont like rts like starcraft, C&C, or Supreme commander...yet i love civ.

Well, I feel you. It's the same for me. Only: Civ is not a RTS, but a TBS.

#18 Posted by face_ripper (968 posts) -
I'm warning you, if you get it, you won't stop playing.
#19 Posted by the_mitch28 (4684 posts) -

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

StopThePresses

I know. It sucks. SMAC didn't sell as well though. It's probably as simple as that.

I've seen the argument put forth that the problem is that SMAC does not have the same kind of mass appeal. People know what the stuff in Civ V is. It's reality. It's not reality in its machinations, of course. It doesn't even make a lick of sense that the same world leader is around for thousands of years, but everything about the way the game is presented is something that people can relate to. It's grounded in something people know. SMAC, even though it uses basically the same game mechanics, has a lot of stuff where people look at it and it's, well, alien to them. Even to me some of the names of technologies in the game seem rather arbitrary.

Civ V is probably as close as such a complex game is ever going to get as being a game for the masses. SMAC is decidedly and unabashedly very "geek".

Maybe they should just release a new one as an expansion instead of a full release? Would get a lot of people into it especially with the help of Steam.

Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
#20 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3676 posts) -

Its a strategy game that I can describe as a videogame version of Risk and Settlers boardgames.

You have to build cities, armies and do diplomacy,etc..

Great series, been around for years and every game in the series has been great.

Go to gametrailers.com and watch there video review for it! Should show ya what the game is about.

kozzy1234
Hey kozzy you likin the game? I wanna get it myself but when the price gets a bit lower. Hopefully when its $30 somewhere. I saw your screens. This'll be my first Civ game. I tried Civ 4 and just couldnt get into it lol...too high a learning curve. I hear this one is far better in that regard and lol of course looks awesome.