CAST YOUR VOTE: Star Wars: The Old Republic

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Turtlecream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Turtlecream
Member since 2009 • 226 Posts

Players now have the opportunity to sign up for the chance to participate in game testing for Star Wars: The Old Republic, an MMORPG currently under development by BioWare and LucasArts.

The developers have claimed that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be the first story-driven MMORPG with full high quality voice acting, as stated in this developer walkthrough.

Cast your vote and have your opinion be recognized.

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts

Not enough info.

ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#3 ag3ntz3rox0x
Member since 2007 • 1534 Posts

please let it dethrone WoW, tired of hearing about it

F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
TOR most likely ruined the KOTOR franchise. I'm betting there won't be another KOTOR game, and we all know MMOs are terrible for storyline (and gameplay) so I went for the ruined reputation one. It'll probably be a pretty good MMO, but that's not saying much.
ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ag3ntz3rox0x

, and we all know MMOs are terrible for storyline (and gameplay).F1_2004

do u pay attention? its storyline is gonna be epic, just like mass effect.

Chyropraise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chyropraise
Member since 2005 • 179 Posts

From what I've seen it looks to be more of the same beyond the storyline. Which for all we know still might be the same kind of quests. AKA "Kill 10 nerfherders."

I'm keeping my eye on it though.

Steameffekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 Steameffekt
Member since 2008 • 4950 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"], and we all know MMOs are terrible for storyline (and gameplay).ag3ntz3rox0x

Yeah, and did you watch the gameplay?
Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#8 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

[QUOTE="F1_2004"], and we all know MMOs are terrible for storyline (and gameplay).ag3ntz3rox0x

I hope you are kidding, Mass effect storyline was awful, predictable and full of cliche. A high ranked guy betray the (Star trek) federation (what a surprise), you take his place (because no one else in the whole universe is better than you), command a vessel and try to find him, mix that with a bit of (jedi like) magic technology, awful weapons (that could have been crafted by Mattel) inspired from Halo and you got Mass effect. About kotor, I tried for weeks to sign up for the beta, but it alway fail at some points (no email, form page reset...). Nice way to start. The game still looks good though, but it should have a been a sp games and it looks a lot like one too. I really can't wait for the open beta

-DaNuTz-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -DaNuTz-
Member since 2006 • 1430 Posts

Other: epic fail

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

-DaNuTz-

This. It'll make a lot of money (BioWare! Star Wars!! !!!DECISIONS!!!), but it looks like crap to me.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts

please let it dethrone WoW, tired of hearing about it

ag3ntz3rox0x
*has played WoW for 2000 hours*
-D3ATH-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 -D3ATH-
Member since 2008 • 615 Posts
It will probably be just like any other MMORPG, but instead of bows and swords, we now have blasters and lightsabers. I wouldn't put much hype on it.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts

Say the developers... Have you ever heard a developer say "Hey guys, my game is gonna be a pile of horse **** with an equally boring storyline. Don't bother looking foward to it!". Anyways, ME was a single-player story, where you played the leading character in the story. You can't do that in MMOs.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
I chose "There is not enough information available to form a valid opinion.". TBH, it's more like I haven't bothered to look into it. I love Bioware and Lucasarts games, so when a lot more info and and possibly a lot more advertisement is thrown in my face, I'll probably look at it more closely.
ag3ntz3rox0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ag3ntz3rox0x

[QUOTE="ag3ntz3rox0x"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"], and we all know MMOs are terrible for storyline (and gameplay).F1_2004

Say the developers... Have you ever heard a developer say "Hey guys, my game is gonna be a pile of horse **** with an equally boring storyline. Don't bother looking foward to it!". Anyways, ME was a single-player story, where you played the leading character in the story. You can't do that in MMOs.

until now

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

TOR most likely ruined the KOTOR franchise. I'm betting there won't be another KOTOR game, and we all know MMOs are terrible for storyline (and gameplay) so I went for the ruined reputation one. It'll probably be a pretty good MMO, but that's not saying much.F1_2004

A little early to make the claim that it's ruined the franchise. Bioware's main focus for this game in the storyline, the game being an MMO doesn't disqualify it from having a terrible story. No other MMO has really focused purely on the story, and if done right it would be fine. However it has to focus more on generalized events and a player simply acting his part during such events rather then the story being about an actual individual quest/journey and portraying them as a hero or villian.

Gameplay however, well I believe we already have a game out that will accuratly portray the type of gameplay you'll see in TOR. It's called World of Warcraft, and from everything I've seen and read the actual gameplay will be heavily influenced and indeed extremely similar from WoW. I do believe TOR will set a new standard in terms of storytelling in an MMO, however the actual gameplay appears as if it will be the same old cookie-cutter BS.

MariusCojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MariusCojo
Member since 2008 • 96 Posts

-DaNuTz-

I couldn't agree more ...

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it. A few game demonstrations by the devs doesn't mean a whole lot. Pulling off an epic story in an MMO is something very hard. It's the very nature of the game.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zomglolcats

[QUOTE="F1_2004"][QUOTE="ag3ntz3rox0x"]

ag3ntz3rox0x

until now

Until now? Please, tell me, how you are going to be the MAIN CHARACTER in a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER game? This whole fiasco reminds me of WAR and AoC... "OMG BEST MMO EVER MADE!!" oh wait...
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Its a star wars mmorpg..Its made bye one of my favorate dev teams..Its going to be epic..Bounty hunter here i come..Just beware if your going to be a jedi or sith..Ill hunt yall down..Doesnt matter to me what side you choose...My character just gets paid to hunt down both parties..If you thaught boba fett was bad..Im much much more evil...(EVIL LAUGH)HAHAHAHA

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 zomglolcats
To make myself clear, I'm not a WoW fanboy. I'd love nothing MORE than for a good MMO to come out to replace WoW for me. But after AoC, I'm not buying into pre-release hype. Period. Especially when there isn't very much information on the actual game other than a few videos the devs put together.
HenriH-42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 HenriH-42
Member since 2007 • 2113 Posts

Other: I'd rather have a single player KOTOR, as I really, really, REALLY don't like MMOs.

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

Other: I'd rather have a single player KOTOR, as I really, really, REALLY don't like MMOs.

HenriH-42

Agreed. LucasArts/Bioware, KOTOR 3 please! (er... I still have to finish KOTOR 2 :x)

SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts
I can't let myself get another MMO, quitting wow was hard enough.
_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
I don't mind MMO's like most people and I don't have any problems quiting them either, but we really need more info on this. Just putting on the lable "Bioware" just doesn't cut it for me after I was left pretty dissapointed by mass effect.
Rorzyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rorzyn
Member since 2009 • 87 Posts

I love Star Wars and the game looks awsome but World of Warcraft is a better game and WOW is going to be on top for ages. People said that Aion is going to be a succes and when I got on Steam Forums the only threads that are there are bad support, errors and errors.

Ninja_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ninja_Dog
Member since 2003 • 2615 Posts
Other: It will compete directly with WoW but not outshine it.
blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts

[QUOTE="ag3ntz3rox0x"]

[QUOTE="F1_2004"], and we all know MMOs are terrible for storyline (and gameplay).Franko_3

I hope you are kidding, Mass effect storyline was awful, predictable and full of cliche. A high ranked guy betray the (Star trek) federation (what a surprise), you take his place (because no one else in the whole universe is better than you), command a vessel and try to find him, mix that with a bit of (jedi like) magic technology, awful weapons (that could have been crafted by Mattel) inspired from Halo and you got Mass effect. About kotor, I tried for weeks to sign up for the beta, but it alway fail at some points (no email, form page reset...). Nice way to start. The game still looks good though, but it should have a been a sp games and it looks a lot like one too. I really can't wait for the open beta

I liked Mass effects storyline. Sure it wasn't omg as amazing as kotor 1 but it was still pretty good to me. Dont' see why you hate it so much :S. But ok your opinion of course.
Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
I'd rather want a unique MMO that would do something different from WoW and instead of trying to be the best MMO, to just focus on being different (for good reasons of course). WoW junkies can go get their fix on their easy-mode MMO while I wait for The Old Republic :)
MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

As he said, it was just incredibly cliche and unimaginative. I can literally go back and name about three dozen books and films where I've seen a story go along the same lines as the one in Mass Effect, there just wasn't anything original or special about it. It was generic sci-fi story #6 with a steamy though extremely fake romance option thrown in for the heck of it. It had some moments, but overall it was Bioware's worst story by far and in all honesty didn't really feel like a Bioware product at all. Hopefully number 2 will be an improvement and they'll make a return to their roots with Dragon Age and TOR.

T3AMKILL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 T3AMKILL
Member since 2008 • 357 Posts
anyone know the system requirements yet?
Turtlecream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Turtlecream

But after AoC, I'm not buying into pre-release hype. Period.zomglolcats

Good man.

Turtlecream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Turtlecream

anyone know the system requirements yet?T3AMKILL

I do not believe so, but the developers have claimed that the game will be designed to function properly on average computers. We shall see.

Drazule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Drazule
Member since 2007 • 8693 Posts

Wow, its all polar for you. Why can't it be a great MMO that can stand on it's own instead of sucking or dethroning?

L1D3N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 L1D3N
Member since 2009 • 717 Posts

I have a feeling it's going to be HUGE... Larger than Wow!

Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#36 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
Not enough info yet.
Turtlecream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Turtlecream

Wow, its all polar for you. Why can't it be a great MMO that can stand on it's own instead of sucking or dethroning?

Drazule

Unfortunately, GameSpot limits polls to a maximum of five responses, although an "other" option is readily available for such opinions.

Turtlecream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Turtlecream

I have a feeling it's going to be HUGE... Larger than Wow!

L1D3N

We shall see.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

This is why I love PC gamers, we make logical decisions/judgements. I am happy to see most people are voting for option 4; not enough info to judge atm.

Turtlecream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Turtlecream

This is why I love PC gamers, we make logical decisions/judgements.

mrbojangles25

Well, that is the ideal!

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58417 Posts

[QUOTE="mrbojangles25"]

This is why I love PC gamers, we make logical decisions/judgements.

Turtlecream

Well, that is the ideal!

...most of the time, I mean :P

hoplayletsplay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 hoplayletsplay
Member since 2005 • 983 Posts
I don't need a story for my MMOs, I make my own story for them.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts
Good but overhyped. I don't think the Star Wars fiction is even a good setup for a MMORPG, though obviously it's a good license for getting people to play it.
Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
honestly, i hope it fails, i know its stupid for me to say this, but i would rather see KOTOR 3 seeing as i dont like mmorpgs
Turtlecream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Turtlecream

honestly, i hope it fails, i know its stupid for me to say this, but i would rather see KOTOR 3 seeing as i dont like mmorpgs Dante2710

I would enjoy a third KOTOR as long as it was developed by BioWare. I did not enjoy the second KOTOR, and what frustrates me is that I do not really know why. There was just something about the game that turned me away and that did not interest me.