This topic is locked from further discussion.

MlLkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 MlLkMan
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts

Do all fans have to be connected to the motherboard? I have a micro atx motherboard and it only has room for one fan power . I was thinking of getting a case which has built in fans.

nesproc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 nesproc
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

Do all fans have to be connected to the motherboard? I have a micro atx motherboard and it only has room for one fan power . I was thinking of getting a case which has built in fans.

MlLkMan
for my case the "case fans" all hook up to the psu through one of the connecters ... only thing to remember when you get a case with case fans is with the extra flow of air comes the extra dust... look for a case with filters for the fans(think you can even buy them now too) or you will be cleaning out your computer twice as much...
Avatar image for Tezcatlipoca666
Tezcatlipoca666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Tezcatlipoca666
Member since 2006 • 7241 Posts

Do all fans have to be connected to the motherboard?

MlLkMan

In a word: no.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

If you have connectors on mobo you can connect them to you mobo the you can adjust their speed from the bios or if the motherboard has a utility do it from windows or you can attach them to the PSU then you will need to get a fan controller or put fan speed limiters.

-LOL now its better

istuffedsunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#5 istuffedsunny
Member since 2008 • 6991 Posts
lol Modo... Sounds like how a 'gangsta' would pronounce Mordor
Newportzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Newportzzz
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts

No, you can connect them to your PSU if you wanted. I dunno why anybody would want too though tbh cause you cant control your fan speeds.

nesproc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 nesproc
Member since 2011 • 190 Posts

No, you can connect them to your PSU if you wanted. I dunno why anybody would want too though tbh cause you cant control your fan speeds.

Newportzzz

because the mobo only has 1 fan attachment kinda like the poster? ;) and others have fans while being connected to the PSU have a speed toggle ;) granted it is nice to have all your fans connected to the Mobo it's hardly necessary for speed control ;)

Kendog87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kendog87
Member since 2010 • 1111 Posts

Most case fans are Molex (4 Pin power from your PSU) and some have manual fan controllers connected to the fan itself.

C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts

[QUOTE="Newportzzz"]

nesproc

because the mobo only has 1 fan attachment kinda like the poster? ;) and others have fans while being connected to the PSU have a speed toggle ;) granted it is nice to have all your fans connected to the Mobo it's hardly necessary for speed control ;)

Running my last set of fans (They were Silverstone) off my mobo killed the LEDs in them. This was a common problem with them and obviously due to a defect in the fan, but it's just another situation why one may not want to connect fans to their mobo. After that happened, I have all of my 6 CM fans running directly off the PSU, even though they probably wouldn't have the same issue.
swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts

lol Modo... Sounds like how a 'gangsta' would pronounce Mordoristuffedsunny
Modo: Thats a hockey club from Sweden in a small town with a population of only 60.000 residents: Peter Forsberg, Marcus Näslund, Daniel & Henrik Sedin among other great NHL players was all born and raised there and have all playing in the red-green colours of "Modo" hockey.