cant decided on new graphics card any help would be appreciated XD

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
OK for starters I've only got a maximum of 350$ usd to spend here and as far as what i have now its the nvidia 9800, 512 memory, 500 processor i think? im looking at the Sapphire - ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card 279$ usd at my local bestbuy but i am also trying to do some more research before i just go spend that kind of money. any suggestions about graphics cards would be appreciated very much just want to get the most out of my money XD if it helps im running windows xp service pack 2 atm planning to upgrade to windows 7 soon.. lol 3gbs ram atm.. gonna put 1 or 2 more in soon not sure yet. and i have intel pentium 4s 3.40ghz dual core processors and the computer is of gateway origin lol.. anywho thanks for any suggestions, websites, graphics cards :D
#2 Posted by swehunt (3637 posts) -
[QUOTE="urieaal"]OK for starters I've only got a maximum of 350$ usd to spend here and as far as what i have now its the nvidia 9800, 512 memory, 500 processor i think? im looking at the Sapphire - ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card 279$ usd at my local bestbuy but i am also trying to do some more research before i just go spend that kind of money. any suggestions about graphics cards would be appreciated very much just want to get the most out of my money XD if it helps im running windows xp service pack 2 atm planning to upgrade to windows 7 soon.. lol 3gbs ram atm.. gonna put 1 or 2 more in soon not sure yet. and i have intel pentium 4s 3.40ghz dual core processors and the computer is of gateway origin lol.. anywho thanks for any suggestions, websites, graphics cards :D

"intel pentium 4s 3.40ghz dual core" :? ...there is no such thing! Intel pentium dualcore there is none @ 3,4Ghz, pentium in todays naming scedual meens low end, at the time of P4's it was the high end. The only thing i can reffer to is a E540 3,4Ghz / Pentium 4 with hyperthreading, that CPU is indeed a singlecore. (the CPU has hypethreading, making it a single core but with a logical second core.) P4 performance is very slow in todays standards, even at 4Ghz it would hold a 8800gt back in the majority of games even at higher resolutions, getting a HD5830 would be a total waste of $!
#3 Posted by andyroo08 (2082 posts) -

OK for starters I've only got a maximum of 350$ usd to spend here and as far as what i have now its the nvidia 9800, 512 memory, 500 processor i think? im looking at the Sapphire - ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB GDDR5 PCI Express Graphics Card 279$ usd at my local bestbuy but i am also trying to do some more research before i just go spend that kind of money. any suggestions about graphics cards would be appreciated very much just want to get the most out of my money XD if it helps im running windows xp service pack 2 atm planning to upgrade to windows 7 soon.. lol 3gbs ram atm.. gonna put 1 or 2 more in soon not sure yet. and i have intel pentium 4s 3.40ghz dual core processors and the computer is of gateway origin lol.. anywho thanks for any suggestions, websites, graphics cards :Durieaal

Before considering a new video card, I would definitely upgrade that thing. It's likely to be holding back you current 9800, will prolly also need a new mobo to go with it too.

#4 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
heh well yah it is a dual core intel pentium 4 dual core 3.40 ghz its the gateway 506gr model if u really wanna look it up and yah it is kinda old but its been a great comp i originally paid 2000 for it brand new, i've made some tweeks, upgrades over the years but yah at this point its about 5 years old
#5 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
hmm and if where talking motherboards not that i cant change it out my self but id have no idea what to look for motherboard wise.... i've never done a full mobo replacement before most i do is usually reaplace hardware like ram, hdd's, fans, gfx cards. XD
#6 Posted by swehunt (3637 posts) -
heh well yah it is a dual core intel pentium 4 dual core 3.40 ghz its the gateway 506gr model if u really wanna look it up and yah it is kinda old but its been a great comp i originally paid 2000 for it brand new, i've made some tweeks, upgrades over the years but yah at this point its about 5 years oldurieaal
Just as i predicted it had a E540, it is a single core P4.
#7 Posted by swehunt (3637 posts) -

hmm and if where talking motherboards not that i cant change it out my self but id have no idea what to look for motherboard wise.... i've never done a full mobo replacement before most i do is usually reaplace hardware like ram, hdd's, fans, gfx cards. XDurieaal

You would have to exchange ewrything, even for a s775 that PC is really old.

Save $600 and you can build a whole new rig much better than what you have.

To the age of that PC are you even 100% sure it's not a RADEON 9800xt/pro?, that make much more sence in a PC of that era.

If youre 100% sure about that it is a Geforce 9800GT (you would have to replace'd it to a 9800GT, because it's 4year newer than the PC is.) you have a econd opt. as you have exchanged the GPU in it for a 9800GT you could use the $350 on new Motherboard, CPU and ram.

Edit, some of the text were messed up.

#8 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
anywho then what should i look for in a motherboard i mostly game on this comp wow,sc2 all i really play atm but wanting to and already ordered ff14
#9 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -

[QUOTE="urieaal"]hmm and if where talking motherboards not that i cant change it out my self but id have no idea what to look for motherboard wise.... i've never done a full mobo replacement before most i do is usually reaplace hardware like ram, hdd's, fans, gfx cards. XDswehunt

You would have to exchange ewrything, even for a s775 that PC is really old.

Save $600 and you can build a whole new rig much better than what you have.

To the age of that PC are you even 100% sure it's not a RADEON 9800xt/pro?, that make much more sence in a PC of that era.

If youre 100% sure about that it is a Geforce 9800GT (you would have to replace'd it to a 9800GT, because it's 4year newer than the PC is.) you have a econd opt. as you have exchanged the GPU in it for a 9800GT you could use the $350 on new Motherboard, CPU and ram.

Edit, some of the text were messed up.

yah its the 9800 i put it in my self its not the onboard gfx card
#10 Posted by swehunt (3637 posts) -

You could get a CPU + motherboard combo ~$250, buy 4GB DDR3 ram.

What PSU is in it?, theres a big chance you'll ned a new PSU too. yah its the 9800 i put it in my self its not the onboard gfx card

Edit, **** the quote seems to crap out all the time no matter what i do..

#11 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
ok ignorant question whats psu stand for lol?
#12 Posted by swehunt (3637 posts) -
ok ignorant question whats psu stand for lol?urieaal
Switching power suppy unit.
#13 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
ah wait power supply unti der.. lol im not sure actually what should i be looking for a psu then as far as a gaming rig would go then
#14 Posted by swehunt (3637 posts) -
ah wait power supply unti der.. lol im not sure actually what should i be looking for a psu then as far as a gaming rig would go thenurieaal
:lol: Just google it, sure that would have gone quicker than writing your post. :lol: It's the blocky big thing in your case witch have a bunch of cables conected to the harrdware inside your PC, read the stickers on it.
#15 Posted by ionusX (25760 posts) -

32nm cpu or no dice.. the pentium D or older (celeron/celeron dual core, pentium 4)

are a 48nm and will bottleneck on newer gpu's

the die cut and cpu die need to match in size in order to ensure preformance isnt catching (generally speaking)

i wouldnt trust your system with anything over an hd 3870x2/8800ultra ;p

#16 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
XD i know where its at but alright i've already got some things going on newegg not to bad ither looks like about 450$ so far i have 700 total i can spend just didnt want to spend more then 300 on a gfx card lol well thanks for the info looks like i got some work ahead of me XD
#17 Posted by urieaal (26 posts) -
wow its only a 300 watter btw, anywho thanks again guys/girls
#18 Posted by swehunt (3637 posts) -

32nm cpu or no dice.. the pentium D or older (celeron/celeron dual core, pentium 4)

are a 48nm and will bottleneck on newer gpu's

the die cut and cpu die need to match in size in order to ensure preformance isnt catching (generally speaking)

i wouldnt trust your system with anything over an hd 3870x2/8800ultra ;p

ionusX
Even if it's true that p4 gotta go, your ALL wrong about the other info you wrote. ;) That particular P4 is a 90nm Prescott core, there never were a 48nm intel CPU, the later 45nm (later C2D/Q = wolf/york.) tech was introduced in the C2D arch and can be found in both celerons and pentiums. (core2 architecture in both of them.) In pentium dualcore (using the C2D arch but with less cache) witch were called "Allendale" the 65nm were the manf. tech used. (E2xx0 - E4xxx) thoose CPUs still hold themself just fine. The whole E6xxx C2D and Q6xxx C2Q series were 65nm, they will fare good even today 4-5years later. The diffrence in 65-45nm jump were alot smaller than one could think, in fact there are loads of 65nm CPU's that still lay down some serious beating on many 45nm CPU's.