Cannot run Flight Simulator X - Video Driver problem

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zzboomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zzboomer
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

When I run Microsoft Flight Simulator X
I get the following error:
"Invalid hardware or driver detected"
"The drivers currently installed for your video card
 may cause your computer to stop responding
 when Flight Simulator is running"

I have Toshiba Tecra S1 with 512MB RAM, 40GB
Intel Pentium M 1500MHz and
Mobility Radeon 9000 Display Adapter.
The software is as follows:
Windows XP pro
DirectX 9.0c
Display Adapter
Driver Version 6.13.10.6280
Driver Date 2/13/2003
Driver Provider ATI Technologies Inc.

I do I fix this problem so I can run Flight Simulator X?
Thank You
Bob Whitman
xboomerx@yahoo.com

dbowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 dbowman
Member since 2005 • 6836 Posts

Sorry to be the one to tell you. But with a computer like that you are never gonna get Flight Sim X to work.

The specs for that game are really really high. You need an excellent computer to get the game to run well.  

gearsfan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 gearsfan23
Member since 2006 • 180 Posts

that computer cannot run flight simlator, a godly compute can only, whic not everyone has :*(

basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

that computer cannot run flight simlator, a godly compute can only, whic not everyone has :*(

gearsfan23

^^^ to the last two post, NOT TRUE AT ALL!!!

It is true that to run MSFSX with high detail you need a top end computer.  But MSFSX gives you so many detail levels that you can get this game to run on almost any computer!  You could run it on a P3 - 700 with a 64 meg GeForce 3 Ti 200!!  You would have to set everything to LOW and play it in 1024x768 or less but it would run and it would still give you the amazing experience of learning to fly.

To the OP this error is clearly a driver issue and has nothing to do with your hardware "not being good enough" to run the game.  I would try uninstalling and reinstalling your video drivers.  Your system is pretty week so you will have to turn down the graphics quite a bit, especially the "scenery" detail.  And when you fly over NYC you are only going to see like 15% of the buildings that should be there but the game will work well and like I said before you will still get a lot out of the game and a lot of very realistic flight lessons!

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
there's not way that a Mobility Radeon 9000 Display Adapter will be able to run this game in any playable fashion.
basersx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 basersx
Member since 2005 • 6222 Posts

there's not way that a Mobility Radeon 9000 Display Adapter will be able to run this game in any playable fashion.Ontain

Again you must not know the game very well.  He can set it in "very low" detail and play the game in 800x600 or 1024x768 and it will be very playable.  I admit it will look like crap and the terrain will basically have no detail at all, but that does not effect the game and its ability to still teach you a lot of the basics of flight.  I would never recommend anyone play it this way and it would be a waste of money.  But if he already own it and that is the only computer he has it can be done and can still be enjoyed as a raw flight sim.

lol_waffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 lol_waffles
Member since 2006 • 1826 Posts
You'll never be able to run FSX decently on that PC.
Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

[QUOTE="Ontain"]there's not way that a Mobility Radeon 9000 Display Adapter will be able to run this game in any playable fashion.basersx

Again you must not know the game very well. He can set it in "very low" detail and play the game in 800x600 or 1024x768 and it will be very playable. I admit it will look like crap and the terrain will basically have no detail at all, but that does not effect the game and its ability to still teach you a lot of the basics of flight. I would never recommend anyone play it this way and it would be a waste of money. But if he already own it and that is the only computer he has it can be done and can still be enjoyed as a raw flight sim.

his gpu is an integrated on that ATI (now AMD) doesn't even support drivers for anymore. this was not a card that was really meant to handle 3d gaming (not like the Mobility 9600). about the only thing he can do is go to http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati/win2k_xp.php and hope those drivers work. they say they should work for mobility m6 and up.

looks like they discontinued it too

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati.php

Starting from Catalyst 6.6 and up, the following cards/chipsets (including Mobility) are no longer supported by the ATI or Omega Drivers:

7000 Series
7200 Series
7500 Series
8500 Series
9000 Series
9200 Series
9250 Series

flyguy13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 flyguy13
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I've got a slow computer and i couldn't run it at first.  I had to buy a new video card for it.

Troika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Troika
Member since 2002 • 49 Posts
The mobility Radeon 9000 only supports up to DirectX 8.1. The minimum spec for FSX calls for a card that can support 9.0c. I have a feeling that the game just will not run on that graphics processor for that reason. That being said FSX is probably worth a PC upgrade just so you can play it :)