Can You Plug A PS3 In to A PC Monitor?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for playstation_wii
playstation_wii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 playstation_wii
Member since 2007 • 5271 Posts

If you can, can you please tell me how. I don't have a n HDTV so I want to use my PC monitor to get high-definition graphics.

RazMaTaz-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 RazMaTaz-1
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

Ok, basically you need something called a VGA Box. Prices vary.

When you have one of these VGA boxes, you have a switch which can switch your TV monitor into the gaming one, and vice versa. I honestly do recommend use a VGA box over a Tv card, only because you get true resolution, and the connections on TV cards are fiddly.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gadmei-TV-5821E-Play-Video-Games/dp/B000MQW848

hope this has helped :)

gmastersexay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gmastersexay
Member since 2003 • 3831 Posts

If you can, can you please tell me how. I don't have a n HDTV so I want to use my PC monitor to get high-definition graphics.

playstation_wii

Does your monitor have a DVI input on it? If yes, just buy a HDMI/DVI cable and your good to go.

kidkit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kidkit
Member since 2005 • 2783 Posts
[QUOTE="playstation_wii"]

gmastersexay

Does your monitor have a DVI input on it? If yes, just buy a HDMI/DVI cable and your good to go.

Wouldn't the monitor need to be HDCP compatible? Would that only matter if you were watching a movie? In any case.. you can get a cable cheap from monoprice and give it a try. The cable will come in handy down the road if it doesn't work correctly. If your monitor is only VGA, Here is another option for what Raz mentioned to go from component to VGA: http://www.vdigi.com/... But yeah, you will still need to buy the component cable on top of that price. Yuck!
cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 cspiffo
Member since 2005 • 2841 Posts

The PS3 requires HDCP compliance through it's HDMI port regardless of whether you are watching a movie or playing a game.

It can be hooked up directly to a computer monitor provided you have

a. DVI or HDMI input on your monitor

b. The input must be HDCP compliant!

essej_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 essej_88
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

can you just use a dvi-hdmi cable or do you need to use the vga box with it aswell??

Amster_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7 Amster_G
Member since 2009 • 4329 Posts

You really do not need a whole VGA box.

If your monitor supports it, just get a HDMI/DVI cable.

Here's how I used to have it set up before I got an HDTV: I hook up the PS3 to the monitor with the HDMI/DVI cable. Then I needed sound because I monitor didn't have built-in speakers. I used the old analog (red, white and yellow) cable, plugged it into my PS3, then used an audio coupler (it's like an adapter that binds the red and yellow [for audio] together into one jack) and plugged that into my PC speakers.