Can STALKER be played on controller?

#1 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

I'm new to PC gaming and I saw Stalker is quite cheap on the steam sale and this will be the 1st game I've played on PC. I don't want to learn keyboard & mouse for now, I will eventually. So I wondered can STALKER be played on controller?

#2 Posted by the_bi99man (11260 posts) -

Not really. No real controller support, and too many functions anyway. With a steam controller, you could make it work, but it's not convenient. Stalker is very much a PC game. It was made for mouse and keyboard, with little consideration for other options.

For real though, if you're going to get into PC gaming, get used to mouse and keyboard. It's not hard, and before too long you won't want to go back to controllers. At least not for first person games.

#3 Posted by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

Yeah, I am sure you could if you really wanted to.

And you know, PC is all about playing what you want, how you want, with whatever input device you want...but let's be honest here, if you're not utilizing a mouse and keyboard for your games, you really are not getting the most out of it. Unless you have some sort of disability that prevents you from using a mouse and keyboard, I suggest just putting in the time and practice to get good. It won't take you very long, either, using a mouse should already be something you're used to.

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (33682 posts) -

It can with a Steam controll yes, but it's a very difficult game best played with a mouse.

#5 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems daunting but I'll give the mouse & keyboard a try.

#6 Edited by PredatorRules (12447 posts) -
@worlds_apart said:

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems daunting but I'll give the mouse & keyboard a try.

If you want similar (but not entirely) experience with controller support you can try Fallout 3 or 4

#7 Posted by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@PredatorRules: I've never played a fallout game before. So in your opinion Fallout 3 & 4 are a bit similar to STALKER? Thats interesting, for some reason I thought they were very different games.

#8 Posted by PredatorRules (12447 posts) -
@worlds_apart said:

@PredatorRules: I've never played a fallout game before. So in your opinion Fallout 3 & 4 are a bit similar to STALKER? Thats interesting, for some reason I thought they were very different games.

Well they're both base on post apocalyptic theme, both got looting and scavenging system, both are open world games.

The key difference is that Stalker is fps with RPG elements such as Bioshock, Dishonored etc., while Fallout is RPG game with some fps/tps elements to it.

The fact that Fallout is RPG game (including VATS system that freeze time) makes it easier to be controlled with a controller.

You can try customize the keyboard keys and mouse into a controller buttons with some 3rd party software but it won't be ideal.

#9 Edited by Worlds_Apart (184 posts) -

@PredatorRules: ah, ok I see. Thanks for clarifying