Can I trust this e-mail from Steam?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

I asked Steam Support what would happen to my games if VALVE went bankrupt, this is what they said

I am portuguese so don't be strange about the language of the gmail. Oh and I can guarantee you this is 100% legit, I mean I have the e-mail on my inbox, the question is 'were they talking the truth?'

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts
This question has been asked many times to valve and they have always givin that same answer.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 tjricardo089

This question has been asked many times to valve and they have always givin that same answer. lawlessx

So I have heard, but can we trust what they're saying? Because they have no legal obligations on giving us a patch after their company fails. Maybe they are only saying this so they won't lose costumers.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 lawlessx

[QUOTE="lawlessx"]This question has been asked many times to valve and they have always givin that same answer. tjricardo089

So I have heard, but can we trust what they're saying? Because they have no legal obligations on giving us a patch after their company fails. Maybe they are only saying this so they won't lose costumers.

True of the matter is no one can really answer that since Steam is still very popular. Don't really see why people think Valve would be lying about having a system in place to protect everyone's games.
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

but can we trust what they're saying?

tjricardo089

We won't ever really know until it happens.

Millions and millions of people believed every word that Obama told them when he was running for president, and look how that turned out. lol

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#6 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

Yes you can, but more importantly Valve are never going to go bust anytime soon. They are currently the most profitable company per employee in the entire world.

In the unlikely event that Valve offices exploded, the whole "we will patch your games so you can keep them thing" turned out to be a giant lie and the entire company disappeared...another company would buy up steam immediately because it has a 30million + userbase - that's worth a lot.

tl;dr - Steam is safe to buy from.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tjricardo089

iamrob7

The more games I buy, increases the fear of losing them all :l

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Is this going to continue forever? you've been asking and making such threads for the last 3 weeks, nobody knows and nobody thinks about it. Origin is owned by the biggest company in gaming and Steam is the leading digital platform, absolutely nobody can even imagine how they'd go out of business, insisting with this over and over and over again won't bring you answers.
lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 lawlessx

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

tjricardo089

then don't buy games from steam....or any DD site.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tjricardo089

Is this going to continue forever? you've been asking and making such threads for the last 3 weeks, nobody knows and nobody thinks about it. Origin is owned by the biggest company in gaming and Steam is the leading digital platform, absolutely nobody can even imagine how they'd go out of business, insisting with this over and over and over again won't bring you answers.DanielDust

You're an apple.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tjricardo089

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

[QUOTE="iamrob7"]

lawlessx

Then where will I buy them? Even physical copies bring DRM.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lawlessx

[QUOTE="lawlessx"][QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

tjricardo089

So quit gaming?
amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 amoremono1
Member since 2009 • 386 Posts

In my experience, Valve has been more supportive of their community than just about any other dev i can think of, so theres prolly a better chance of them doing it than others...

James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

If your worried about this, go play consoles bro

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11793 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"] but can we trust what they're saying?

AR-15

Millions and millions of people believed every word that Obama told them when he was running for president, and look how that turned out. lol

Same could be said for Bush, religion and "expert" economists...^^

True we will not know (for sure) until it happens though. There is a such thing as unforseen variables.

I personally will give them the benefit of the doubt for now, until I actually see a reason or evidence that they won't or can't. For they have stated many times, and can be brought up at almost any part of the Web, that they will patch all the games.

My steam account is almost worth $1200. (my GF's is even higher) so yeah we definitely don't want anything bad to happen. We have many games through Steam. I say its as safe a bet as any.

Mattizzle815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Mattizzle815
Member since 2008 • 895 Posts

Then buy your games from somewhere else if you are so scared

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

We won't know until it happens, but Valve is doing great and even if they go bankrupt somebody sure as hell will buy the network with the extremly huge bound userbase

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34794 Posts

Stop being silly.

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
No offense TC, but you sound extremely paranoid... If it worries you so much, then don't use Steam or any other Digital Store and buy Physical copies. Time and time again we've explained it to you and yet you still ask. What more do you want us to say?
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34794 Posts

No offense TC, but you sound extremely paranoid... If it worries you so much, then don't use Steam or any other Digital Store and buy Physical copies. Time and time again we've explained it to you and yet you still ask. What more do you want us to say? trastamad03
A digital Steam copy of a game will probably last longer than a physical disc. You also can't misplace it.

ravenguard90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ravenguard90
Member since 2005 • 3064 Posts

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]No offense TC, but you sound extremely paranoid... If it worries you so much, then don't use Steam or any other Digital Store and buy Physical copies. Time and time again we've explained it to you and yet you still ask. What more do you want us to say? Litchie

A digital Steam copy of a game will probably last longer than a physical disc. You also can't misplace it.

Then make .iso backups of the game... :?

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

Yah, cuz Valve is just going to delete all our games for lulz :roll: ... there is no reason why they wouldn't let us keep our games if steam some how ended

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 trastamad03

[QUOTE="trastamad03"]No offense TC, but you sound extremely paranoid... If it worries you so much, then don't use Steam or any other Digital Store and buy Physical copies. Time and time again we've explained it to you and yet you still ask. What more do you want us to say? Litchie

Try explaining that to TC... he's made a bajillion threads about Digital Services going bankrupt.
GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

don't worry about it, Razor, Fairlight and Reloaded have already patched all the Steam games so they can be played without steam. You can even get DRM free Ubisoft games!

(I'm being sarcastic, unfortunately that doesn't come off too well in type :) )

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#25 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Knowing Valve, they'd have set up a contingency for this ages ago already.

Remember players that got accidentally banned from MW2 and Valve gave them free copies of L4D2.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

tjricardo089
Welcome to the future of media where's it's all about digital services than actually buying a personal license. You're just going to have to get comfortable with it and find your limits.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 tjricardo089

Ok, maybe I am being a little paranoid here. But the fact is that the act of buying games and the games EULA's are tricky. Back in 2005-06 I could buy games and legally own them instead of this 'renting the licence to play the game bullcrap'. Buying videogames through digital services is risky, even though you like to make you all excuses that 'Steam will make a patch or so', you don't really know that, because they have not legal obligations on doing that, and in the moment they go down they can't mess with the games anymore. Plus, I think the developers also have a word on this 'patch'. Other thing, EA already created Origin, if other companies create their own digital services, I can't see who will buy Steam. When I buy something I like to know that I am able to use that until the day I perish. But unfortunately every game is linked to something now... digital service, internet serial code...

Again, sorry for my paranoia here and for the spam of threads but the truth is that I love videogames, and therefore I can't play them knowing that tomorrow (let's say 10-15 years) something might happen and all this games I collected were erased, maybe you say that Valve is too big to fail, but I've seen big companies failing, so I can't really rely on that. It's just too money that I've invested on Steam hoping that they would release a patch, but I've been reading some legal issues on the internet, and it's not really that simple.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Find another hobby....seriously if you are so afraid of this that you can't play your games, then it's time to find something else to have fun with, and no, I'm serious. Will we die tomorrow? no idea, I just have fun today, same with games, you never know what might happen, retail is the same, except you get a license to use that copy if the disc shatters bye bye, you can't in all cases just download from a torrent and use your key, life is not a certainty, play your games for the love of God, they won't be gone in the next days...I never get people that play games for all the wrong reasons.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Click the link, see where it goes, see if the SSL is verified from the link and if the link you are sent to even points to steampowered.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tjricardo089

Click the link, see where it goes, see if the SSL is verified from the link and if the link you are sent to even points to steampowered.JigglyWiggly_

It does.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Click the link, see where it goes, see if the SSL is verified from the link and if the link you are sent to even points to steampowered.tjricardo089

It does.

So when you click it, it actually talked you to steampowered, and not like steampolwered? Well then it's safe.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

we are talking about something that is really easy to make TC, I am willing to bet that it is allready there, its basicly just a switch so to speak, no major intrution on thier behalf.

ANd no Devs are not involved, its the Steam drm that does so you cant launch the games without stea, it just gets disabled, but I suppose you have to back up the games yourself.

On an odd sidenote of DD, Ive had disks that went bad due to time itself (not use) that lastet a shorter while then some of my earliest steam games.

Can you be sure Steam is always there? No ofcourse not, can you be sure you always have your games? well considering that I have pysical games that I can not play anymore due to some of the crud they tossed around in the early 2000 we can not really bet on pysical dists will work forever, both on PC an console now.

but my bet is that you will not see Steam croak for a forseeable future, all Pubs could indeed make thier own services (and are trying by all intends and purposes) but if gamers aint jumping on it, it will not happen, and even then, having an unified hub for your games, seems much more comfortable then having something like 4 different programs, for running the games you own. So I am fairly certain that most games will use steam as much as possible, the alternative simply sucks.

And then again, Ive used less money on Steam then I have for my PS4 this gen (games only counting) and I have around 4x more games on steam, so even at a financial view it would not be all too bad.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#33 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"] but can we trust what they're saying?

AR-15

That's an entirely different scenario (Obama). But yeah, we won't ever really know until it happens. Valve will be around for a LONG time.
Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

I wonder if I can still activate my copy of Windows if Microsoft ever goes under. Also, some other random paranoid thoughts I'm too lazy to think of at the moment.

Avatar image for jacobhazard1704
jacobhazard1704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jacobhazard1704
Member since 2004 • 215 Posts

And then again, Ive used less money on Steam then I have for my PS4 this gen

Maddie_Larkin

xxLordDavidxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 xxLordDavidxx
Member since 2005 • 685 Posts

By the time this actually becomes relevant we'll all be playing Steam games on emulators.

Even if Valve go under in a few years time (99% unlikely) I wouldn't particularly care. I have all the serial codes for my games on there readily avaliable even if the download service itself is not.

baal46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 baal46
Member since 2004 • 663 Posts

1. Valve is not going to fail anytime in the forseeable future. It just isn't going to happen.

2. Even if they did fail, you would see it coming a MILE away.

3. You can make backups of the Steam software and game data at anytime. Start burning disc backups now if you're that paranoid.

4. If they did plan on closing Steam servers, they would alert every account holder in the world well beforehand and implement their 'last resort' distribution systems. This probably means just downloading and burning every game in your library to a disc. It is also likely that they have a means to remove the Steam software integration from all of their games.

5. This is a non-issue.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tjricardo089

1. Valve is not going to fail anytime in the forseeable future. It just isn't going to happen.
I try to believe that, but nothing lasts forever.

2. Even if they did fail, you would see it coming a MILE away.
Indeed.

3. You can make backups of the Steam software and game data at anytime. Start burning disc backups now if you're that paranoid.
You can't run the backups without the Steam service, so even if Steam failed those backups would be useless

4. If they did plan on closing Steam servers, they would alert every account holder in the world well beforehand and implement their 'last resort' distribution systems. This probably means just downloading and burning every game in your library to a disc. It is also likely that they have a means to remove the Steam software integration from all of their games.
I hope they do this

5. This is a non-issue.
Maybe, but I like to have my games in one place only. And knowing that one day, my library may vanish just sucks.

baal46

Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
What makes you believe that valve will go bankrupt?
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tjricardo089

What makes you believe that valve will go bankrupt?dannenissan2

EA created Origin, and we can say goodbye to future games from EA (Goodbye, Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 3, Dragon Age III, etc.)
If everyone reminds themselves of creating their digital service and making their games exclusive as Steam makes with the Valve games, I am just saying that Steam would most likely lose a big share of their money. Of course this may not ever happen, but my point here is that anything is possible and nothing lasts forever

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CDUB316
Member since 2009 • 6589 Posts

think of it like this TC...no matter how or where your game collection is at or if it's physical or digital...there is ALWAYS a risk of you losing those games

i mean, wouldn't it suck if you had thousands of dollars of physical games in your home only for it to get all destroyed in lets say a tornado or hurricane? (god forbid of course)

just think of that tornando or other natural disaster as bankruptcy of a company...it may happen...it may not....that's just the risk of being a gamer and a collector

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tjricardo089

think of it like this TC...no matter how or where your game collection is at or if it's physical or digital...there is ALWAYS a risk of you losing those games

i mean, wouldn't it suck if you how thousands of dollars of physical games in your home only for it to get all destroyed in lets say a tornado or hurricane? (god forbid of course)

just think of that tornando or other natural disaster as bankruptcy of a company...it may happen...it may not....that's just the risk of being a gamer and a collector

CDUB316

I live in Portugal, the last big big disaster here was the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755. So I guess there is more chances of Valve going bankrupt, then my house getting hit by a tornado :P

But I get your point, still this is a silly evolution on gaming industry in my opinion, because we don't really own the games and we can lose them in a snap of fingers. I wish I was less paranoid, I really do but I like to be able to play every game I own whenever I want, darn it I even play doom sometimes, and that is a very old game :P

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CDUB316

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

i mean, wouldn't it suck if you how thousands of dollars of physical games in your home only for it to get all destroyed in lets say a tornado or hurricane? (god forbid of course)

tjricardo089

I live in Portugal, the last big big disaster here was the Lisbon Earthquake of 1755. So I guess there is more chances of Valve going bankrupt, then my house getting hit by a tornado :P

But I get your point, still this is a silly evolution on gaming industry in my opinion, because we don't really own the games and we can lose them in a snap of fingers. I wish I was less paranoid, I really do but I like to be able to play every game I own whenever I want, darn it I even play doom sometimes, and that is a very old game :P

lol well that's good...i may move there one day then, haha

but even though DD is taking over...i still think physcial media will be offered for a long time to come, at least another 10 years before DD takes over (if it ever fully does) so until that time comes, you can just continue to buy physical copies and maybe slowly ease your way into steam during the stupid dirt cheap holiday sales like i did

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tjricardo089

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

CDUB316

but even though DD is taking over...i still think physcial media will be offered for a long time to come, at least another 10 years before DD takes over (if it ever fully does) so until that time comes, you can just continue to buy physical copies and maybe slowly ease your way into steam during the stupid dirt cheap holiday sales like i did

But that's the point I like to have my games in one place only (PARANOID ALERT) if physical distribution could last for more years I would be happy.

CDUB316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 CDUB316

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

tjricardo089

But that's the point I like to have my games in one place only (PARANOID ALERT) if physical distribution could last for more years I would be happy.

i'm kind of the same way...but luckily for me i JUST started PC gaming simply because of steam...games are so cheap on steam i just HAD to become a PC gamer and finally upgrade my graphics card....so since i just started PC gaming, all my PC games are on steam while my console games are nicely displayed on my bookshelves

i see where you're coming from...i really do, but technology just changes constantly these days and you just gotta keep moving with it

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tjricardo089

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

[QUOTE="CDUB316"]

CDUB316

i'm kind of the same way...but luckily for me i JUST started PC gaming simply because of steam...games are so cheap on steam i just HAD to become a PC gamer and finally upgrade my graphics card....so since i just started PC gaming, all my PC games are on steam while my console games are nicely displayed on my bookshelves

i see where you're coming from...i really do, but technology just changes constantly these days and you just gotta keep moving with it

But if technology is moving to a place I don't wanna go, I guess my best choice is to leave it :(

trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 trastamad03
Quit being paranoid TC... or you're gonna miss out.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 tjricardo089

Quit being paranoid TC... or you're gonna miss out.trastamad03

I probably will, but I can't be the other way around..