Can I put a game in Steam if I bought the game from a game store?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by orrytur (1666 posts) -

Hi, I'm wondering if I buy a game from a game store like EB Games, can I put the game to ''my games'' in Steam? If I can't, I can't play online with the steam servers right? Thanks.

#2 Posted by RK-Mara (11489 posts) -
You can through the ''Add a non-Steam game'' button.
#3 Posted by MJPK (3361 posts) -

Here is a list of games you can install into steam

#4 Posted by DanielDust (15402 posts) -

You can put retail games only as shortcuts, only a few retail games can be registered through Steam and even if your games is one of those, you will NEVER play on a Steam server because Steam doesn't host servers for most games only for L4D there are some and you can talk about "Steam" servers when you talk about Valve games, I guess, but no game has Valve servers, any digital copy of a game is the same as the retail copy in every aspect, except the part with not having a disk.

#5 Posted by orrytur (1666 posts) -
Alright, thanks everyone :D.
#6 Posted by ManicAce (3267 posts) -
The servers should be the same whether you got the game from walmart, amazon, steam, impulse or D2D. Some retail games will install themselves in steam automatically, some will provide it as an option, most won't use it at all but can still be added like rk-mara said, with limited features.
#7 Posted by orrytur (1666 posts) -

MJPK
Your link does not work :(
#8 Posted by thusaha (14495 posts) -

[QUOTE="MJPK"]

orrytur

Your link does not work :(

Fixed.

#9 Posted by True_Sounds (2915 posts) -

if you looked at the url you could easily get the right link outta the first one... :/

#10 Posted by Cidly666 (25 posts) -
That's not true you license the game and they can terminate that license at anytime ether because they no longer support it or what ever other reason they feel like. Kind of like buying a car vs. licenseing it your actually under contract and the dealer still owns it. Same thing with steam its all explained out in the legal section and subscriber section, Plus its not all that hard to under stand and its fairly short
#11 Posted by wis3boi (32507 posts) -

712955d1337432645-i-hate-omega-part-two-.