Can I get some opinions on this gaming laptop?

joebones5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By joebones5000
Member since 2016 • 3055 Posts

I was pricing a gaming desktop. I need evething, including a monitor. I priced a simple system with an r5 2600 and an rx 580 and it was $800+ I came across this gaming laptop on at Walmart, and it seems to perform a little bit better in benchmarks than the desktop. Having a laptop would be very convenient, but I don't want to buy a piece of garbage, but I also don't really want to build something.

What do you guys think of this laptop for gaming for the next 3 years? With my discount, I can get it for $905.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EVOO-Gaming-Laptop-15-FHD-144Hz-Display-THX-Spatial-Audio-Tuned-9th-Gen-Intel-i7-9750H-Nvidia-GTX-1660Ti-512GB-SSD-16GB-Memory-Windows-10-Home-Black/685182150

Thanks for any information.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 141

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11991 Posts

I would wait a bit until the next line of GPUs and CPUs come out. You will get better performance and a cheaper price. I would also avoid laptops unless portability is a big thing for you. Keep saving up and you will be able to get something nice. A 1660 Ti or 580 are not going to be good for the next 3 years. They are already low end GPUs and the new GPUs aren't even out yet. Both systems are decent for 1080p on most current games, but you will regret buying either system if you are looking forward to playing new games coming out. Don't be afraid to bump up your budget to around $1000 or more. Sometimes paying a little more up front will avoid regretful compromises.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4  Edited By Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5131 Posts

Gaming laptops aren't great and you don't want to build. Stick with consoles and get an average laptop/desktop for your usual web surfing etc.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 141

#5 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 11991 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Gaming laptops aren't great and you don't want to build. Stick with consoles and get an average laptop/desktop for your usual web surfing etc.

No need to go the console route. You can get good deals on pre-built systems online. Especially during big sales and promos like Black Friday.

Random_Matt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Random_Matt
Member since 2013 • 5131 Posts

@BassMan said:
@Random_Matt said:

No need to go the console route. You can get good deals on pre-built systems online. Especially during big sales and promos like Black Friday.

Pre-built, if he wants to go that route then cool I guess.