Can all prebuilt PCs be opened?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Deathscythe777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Deathscythe777
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts
Can all prebuilt PCs be opened? I'm worried about this, i think i can, but the PC seems to have screws on it basically sealing it...i could be wrong though.
topgunmv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 topgunmv
Member since 2003 • 10880 Posts

I've seen some prebuilds use rivets instead of screws.

If that's the case, you'll literally need to drill them out.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Your best bet is to call the maker up and ask them directly.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Vuud
Member since 2003 • 1336 Posts

Check inside if you can before you buy, or ask the manufacturer. I wanted to salvage some stuff from my mom's prebuilt but found everything was bolted in tight. So i'd have to do some serious cutting to get anything out of the brackets.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
Depends on the manufacturer, some are better about it than others. Some even use proprietary parts that can't be replaced with standard parts.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
sometimes you'll void your warranty when you open them, but there should be a sticker telling you about it on the back or side that opens.
Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
I would expect all cases to have atleast one removable panel or way of getting in to the hardware. It may not be tool-less entry - likely a screwdriver required to remove a few screws holding either a side panel or overall case in place
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 superclocked
Member since 2009 • 5864 Posts
Yes, they all open.. Sometimes you have to remove a couple screws, other times there is a big mechanic release hidden in the asthetics. But I've never seen a pre-built PC that cannot be opened in some way, and I've been repairing PC's since the days when the 286 was top of the line...
MuD3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MuD3
Member since 2011 • 2192 Posts
there are these cool things called screw drivers. with them you can pretty much open anything ever...
Deathscythe777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deathscythe777
I got back from talking with tech support. It seems they don't recommend me opening it, because if i break it in the process of opening it, that voids the warranty. I dunno if it's safe to do it.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I got back from talking with tech support. It seems they don't recommend me opening it, because if i break it in the process of opening it, that voids the warranty. I dunno if it's safe to do it.Deathscythe777
1- Why do u want to open it? 2- It is still in warranty cause it WILL void ur warranty
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

Can all prebuilt PCs be opened? I'm worried about this, i think i can, but the PC seems to have screws on it basically sealing it...i could be wrong though.Deathscythe777

what is a screwdriver?

Deathscythe777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Deathscythe777
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"]I got back from talking with tech support. It seems they don't recommend me opening it, because if i break it in the process of opening it, that voids the warranty. I dunno if it's safe to do it.FelipeInside
1- Why do u want to open it? 2- It is still in warranty cause it WILL void ur warranty

If my PC cannot run youtube well, i hope to install a cheap graphics card.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"]I got back from talking with tech support. It seems they don't recommend me opening it, because if i break it in the process of opening it, that voids the warranty. I dunno if it's safe to do it.Deathscythe777

If ur PC can't run YouTube, it's not the graphics card, you have a software problem. ANY computer can run YouTube, even my 8 year old Pentium.
Deathscythe777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Deathscythe777
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] 1- Why do u want to open it? 2- It is still in warranty cause it WILL void ur warranty

If ur PC can't run YouTube, it's not the graphics card, you have a software problem. ANY computer can run YouTube, even my 8 year old Pentium.

So it wouldn't really help to add in a $30 graphics card in? I mean i heard prebuilts start to slow down after about 2 years.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] 1- Why do u want to open it? 2- It is still in warranty cause it WILL void ur warrantyFelipeInside

Don't you mean pentium 4?

a pentium can't run youtube, I'm guessing.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] If my PC cannot run youtube well, i hope to install a cheap graphics card. Deathscythe777

So it wouldn't really help to add in a $30 graphics card in? I mean i heard prebuilts start to slow down after about 2 years.

Windows computers begin to feel sluggish because all the bloatware people install over the years.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] If my PC cannot run youtube well, i hope to install a cheap graphics card.

EVERY computer slows down after 1-2 years, it's because of Windows. Yes, sooner or later u'll have to upgrade but what is happening with YouTube and I might be able to help.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] If my PC cannot run youtube well, i hope to install a cheap graphics card. GummiRaccoon

I did say Pentium didn't I....? Sorry I didn't put the model but when I said it, I meant the series.
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GummiRaccoon

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] If ur PC can't run YouTube, it's not the graphics card, you have a software problem. ANY computer can run YouTube, even my 8 year old Pentium.FelipeInside

I did say Pentium didn't I....? Sorry I didn't put the model but when I said it, I meant the series.

That p4 must have been your first computer then.

No one just called them "pentiums"

Deathscythe777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Deathscythe777
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] If ur PC can't run YouTube, it's not the graphics card, you have a software problem. ANY computer can run YouTube, even my 8 year old Pentium.

EVERY computer slows down after 1-2 years, it's because of Windows. Yes, sooner or later u'll have to upgrade but what is happening with YouTube and I might be able to help.

I don't understand what you're saying. I haven't tried the PC yet, but i will, and i hope that streamed video works ok.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

GummiRaccoon

That p4 must have been your first computer then.

No one just called them "pentiums"

I've had so many Pentiums in my life that I just call them Pentium now...
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] So it wouldn't really help to add in a $30 graphics card in? I mean i heard prebuilts start to slow down after about 2 years.

I don't understand what you're saying. I haven't tried the PC yet, but i will, and i hope that streamed video works ok.

What? What do you mean you haven't tried the PC yet? Is this a brand new PC?
Deathscythe777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Deathscythe777
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] EVERY computer slows down after 1-2 years, it's because of Windows. Yes, sooner or later u'll have to upgrade but what is happening with YouTube and I might be able to help.

Yeah.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Deathscythe777"] I don't understand what you're saying. I haven't tried the PC yet, but i will, and i hope that streamed video works ok.Deathscythe777

Yeah.

LOL, then you have nothing to worry about. YouTube will work fine.

If you want HD YouTube, it depends more on your internet speeds.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Most PCs can be opened. Heck, Even my old-style Mac Mini can be opened. The main tool is a putty knife though.:lol:

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

Most PCs can be opened. Heck, Even my old-style Mac Mini can be opened. The main tool is a putty knife though.:lol:

jun_aka_pekto

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01NHcTM5IA4

superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 superclocked

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

FelipeInside

lol.. epic movie scene...
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
Some companies are notorious for making it hard to open their pc's, I remember i had an old sony vaio desktop that was basically soldered together lol
superclocked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 superclocked
Some companies are notorious for making it hard to open their pc's, I remember i had an old sony vaio desktop that was basically soldered together lolSPBoss
Yeah, sometimes you have to take off the front panel first. And I had a Dell that had a huge "open" button on top that was made to look like part of the design of the case...
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

FelipeInside

Heh. This one is deadlier. I used to laugh at the thought of using a putty knife. Then I remembered I needed to add more RAM to my Mini. :lol:

37957575_21ccb1abec.jpg

To be honest, I've never heard of a PC (MS-DOS or Windows) case being non-accessible. I mean I've seen RAM and CPUs soldered into their slot/socket. But, I've never seen a PC that cannot be opened.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside
I guess none of you have had to take apart a Mac Notebook (50+ screws of different size) or an iMac (you need glass suckers to remove the glass and special tools for some parts).