Can a equivalent console PC run games well?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dark0047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dark0047
Member since 2016 • 29 Posts

So, let's imagine that PS4 has been just released and I bought it. but someone else bought a equivalent PS4 PC. Now my question is that will that guy get the same quality/FPS as I will in the next 5 years in Game experience?

pug987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 pug987
Member since 2005 • 460 Posts

It really depends on what you consider equivalent. There have been several sites that have made PCs that cost about the same as consoles and have similar performance.

If talking about the same hardware, consoles have the edge that when you design for a specific setup you can do more optimization.

However when considering console and PC cost I think you should take into account game cost. You can get a more expensive PC than a console and break even within months or years, depending on how many games you play.

A few more thoughts.

When you try to optimize a PC with a limited budget you need some knowledge of PC hardware and sometimes be willing to get parts from different shops and assemble them.

Windows cost can be mitigated, either by running Linux or finding a key some other way. For example if you have an old windows key you can install it on your new PC and upgrade to Windows 10 for free. Resellers also have cheaper keys than official windows stores.

Finally, a PC is much more than a game console. Even the most rudimentary gaming PC can be used for office work, programming, sound engineering, etc. If you need a PC for your job or just to have a computer in the house you can assume a base cost that you would pay anyway and consider the additional cost versus a console, that giving yourself a budget for a much better PC.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@dark0047 said:

So, let's imagine that PS4 has been just released and I bought it. but someone else bought a equivalent PS4 PC. Now my question is that will that guy get the same quality/FPS as I will in the next 5 years in Game experience?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az3y3q79oj8

Here's a good comparison. Alienware Alpha which is basically made to look like a console with a similar pricetage against a PS4.

You can cleary see the frame jumps on the PS4 and where it starts to struggle, while the Alpha is smoother.

By the time the Alpha is too slow to run the most demanding games, there will be 2 or 3 newer versions of the PS4 with better hardware. That answers your question.

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

No!

A PC that you bought when a ps4 came out for the same price can not run current ps4 games.

That's the truth of PC gaming. It may be better but the cost does increase

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@Berserker1_5 said:

No!

A PC that you bought when a ps4 came out for the same price can not run current ps4 games.

yes you can, if you lower the setttings to PS4 level

adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts

Yes. I still rocking a 7850 which is ps4 level albeit with a much faster CPU compared to ps4 ( core i5 4440) and witcher 3 runs on ps4 settings ( according to digital foundry ) but unlike PS4 i never experience fps drops ( rock steady stable 30fps ). In fact i even have HBAO on instead SSAO Ps4 version uses

Same goes with a lot of other games ps4 experience frame rate drops

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Berserker1_5

@groowagon:

Nah! I have both, most game are better on PS4

A good example is Witcher 3

Dark0047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dark0047

@Berserker1_5 said:

No!

Thanks man. I just wanted to hear that bro. I really appreciate for the answer :)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

@dark0047 said:
@Berserker1_5 said:

No!

Thanks man. I just wanted to hear that bro. I really appreciate for the answer :)

You can hear that but it's wrong.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 236

#10 Dark_sageX
Member since 2003 • 3561 Posts

@dark0047: You could have let this thread go longer before revealing yourself to be a troll.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58393 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@dark0047 said:
@Berserker1_5 said:

No!

You can hear that but it's wrong.

don't bother, he came here to be appeased, not to hear the truth :P

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

@dark0047: yes and no, consoles got better optimization while you can lower settings in the years to come which will be the same on consoles for the upcoming years anyway.

Dark0047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dark0047

@Dark_sageX: yeah I am a troll... So you mean a equivalent xbox 360 PC could run red dead redemption right? It's not my problem that toy are a PC fanboy. At least I have searched before about PC then posted here to make sure. Go and have fun with your PC. Don't waste my time by your non-sense comments bro

Dark0047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dark0047

@FelipeInside: prove that I have heard the wrong thing. Can I run red dead redemption with the equivalent xbox 360 PC?

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dark_sageX

@dark0047: Xbox 360? I thought we were talking about a PS4? and from the looks of this thread you seem to be only thinking in one direction given that you pretty much ignored everyone else......but fine I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yes its possible to get a good gaming PC at console equivalent price provided you do some extra searching,

here for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npx2ugLFDIo

its a $350 PC with near equivalent PS4 power (and yes it could run Red Dead Redemption...if it were available on PC) and thats just purely with new parts, you can get second hand parts that are more powerful and give you much better performance than a PS4.

for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unp7GtSPJ0Y

a $300 build using used parts, which includes an HD 7950 (so you can get a better perspective, the PS4 GPU is equivalent to a HD 7850, making it around 40% more powerful in gaming performance), ofcourse if I were that guy I would have spend that extra money on an 8GB DDR3 ram instead of a fancy PC case, but thats the beauty of PC gaming, you have options.

RekonMeister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 RekonMeister
Member since 2016 • 784 Posts

Look at my signature below. Cost 210 GBP

This is how it performs.

Loading Video...

Dark0047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Dark0047

@Dark_sageX said:

@dark0047: Xbox 360? I thought we were talking about a PS4? and from the looks of this thread you seem to be only thinking in one direction given that you pretty much ignored everyone else......but fine I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Yes its possible to get a good gaming PC at console equivalent price provided you do some extra searching,

its a $350 PC with near equivalent PS4 power (and yes it could run Red Dead Redemption...if it were available on PC) and thats just purely with new parts, you can get second hand parts that are more powerful and give you much better performance than a PS4.

a $300 build using used parts, which includes an HD 7950 (so you can get a better perspective, the PS4 GPU is equivalent to a HD 7850, making it around 40% more powerful in gaming performance), ofcourse if I were that guy I would have spend that extra money on an 8GB DDR3 ram instead of a fancy PC case, but thats the beauty of PC gaming, you have options.

No dude. I didn't mean that. The purpose of mentioning xbox 360 was this: Let's imagine two people who one of them bought xbox 360 and the other one bought xbox 360 equivalent PC when the xbox 360 has just been released (Equivalent of hardware not price). I wanted to know if the guy who bought the PC will be able to run red dead redemption at the end of the generation with the same quality as the person who bought xbox 360 or not? I mean xbox 360 GPU size is 256 and could run that game with great quality.

This is true for PS4 too. I wanna now will a person who bought a equivalent PS4 PC (hardware not price) able to run games at the end of the generation with the same quality as a PS4 player or not?

Personally I don't think so...

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

@dark0047 said:
@Dark_sageX said:

No dude. I didn't mean that. The purpose of mentioning xbox 360 was this: Let's imagine two people who one of them bought xbox 360 and the other one bought xbox 360 equivalent PC when the xbox 360 has just been released (Equivalent of hardware not price). I wanted to know if the guy who bought the PC will be able to run red dead redemption at the end of the generation with the same quality as the person who bought xbox 360 or not? I mean xbox 360 GPU size is 256 and could run that game with great quality.

This is true for PS4 too. I wanna now will a person who bought a equivalent PS4 PC (hardware not price) able to run games at the end of the generation with the same quality as a PS4 player or not?

Personally I don't think so...

Well nobody has PS4 cpu in a desktop PC, at least I seriously hope so. Obviously you need a beefier cpu on PC than you do on consoles.

Dark Souls 3 for example runs better on PC because the game is terribly threaded, a PC with gpu equivalent to ps4 and sandy bridge cpu gives you better results than ps4, heck you could prob get close to 60fps on 1080p running console settings.

Some better optimized games most likely run slightly better on ps4 as it simply does certain things more efficiently than pc is able to do with the restraints it has.

Dark0047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dark0047

@howmakewood: How should I make you understand what I mean?

I mean will a equivalent PS4 PC (Hardware) run games with the same/better quality/FPS than a PS4 at the end of the generation?

Is it clear what I mean now?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7712 Posts

@dark0047 said:

@howmakewood: How should I make you understand what I mean?

I mean will a equivalent PS4 PC (Hardware) run games with the same/better quality/FPS than a PS4 at the end of the generation?

Is it clear what I mean now?

You wont find a PC equivalent to PS4 as those cpu's aren't available for desktop pc? But if that was possible then no pc with those specs wouldn't run shit.

Dark_sageX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Dark_sageX

@dark0047: if the hardware is designed to be exclusively used for gaming then yes, however because PCs are designed to do multiple tasks and not just gaming (running an OS, office docs, video editing, etc) then no, a PC with the hardware equivalent of a PS4 will not run games very well, much less run very well at all.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Berserker1_5 said:

@groowagon:

Nah! I have both, most game are better on PS4

A good example is Witcher 3

there's nothing that makes Witcher 3 better on PS4. i mean... nothing. it even looks like shit too.

only games worth buying on PS4 are Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3. everything else i play on PC. i even sold Uncharted 4 because it was too boring.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

@dark0047 said:

@FelipeInside: prove that I have heard the wrong thing. Can I run red dead redemption with the equivalent xbox 360 PC?

What are you talking about? Red Dead Redemeption never came out on PC, but if so yes a PC would have run it better.

Just look at the differeneces in GTA5 between PS4 and PC.

Dark0047

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Dark0047

@FelipeInside: you have no idea what I meant. Read what I wrote again? I said a equivalent PC. Do you know what equivalent is? And then you say look at the differences of GTA V between PC and PS4. What the hell man

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Berserker1_5

@groowagon:

Get a PC for $400 with keyboard, mouse , operating system from the time PS4 came out and tell me if it can run Witcher 3 today.

The answer is NO

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

@dark0047:

If you had same exact hardware as PS4 on Pc, the PS4 would run better because it has less to run, and is more optimized. Now if that Pc had same gpu with a stronger cpu then it would match and or surpass the console 5 years down the road. Problem is that the PS4 or X1 are not like the consoles of the past where devs had to start from scratch and learn out to use the hardware and develop games around the hardware. They are using the same pc standardize hardware, design and coding practices. There is little they can do before taxing the hardware.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

@dark0047 said:

@FelipeInside: you have no idea what I meant. Read what I wrote again? I said a equivalent PC. Do you know what equivalent is? And then you say look at the differences of GTA V between PC and PS4. What the hell man

Of course I don't, you're not making any sense.

An equivalent PC is still going to run PS4 games better than a PS4.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

@Berserker1_5 said:

@groowagon:

Get a PC for $400 with keyboard, mouse , operating system from the time PS4 came out and tell me if it can run Witcher 3 today.

The answer is NO

are you typing here with your PS4? no, you have PC. instead of PS4, you could've got $400 GPU for it.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

No. Thats not to say that I don't love pcs cuz its my go to system. But, if it had the exact same specs then the console would win simply because games go through more optimization for consoles because it is much easier to do because of the non fluctuation in specs like the pc has.

That being said, a slighty better spec pc will dominate the console. ; )

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

The hardware I put into my bartop arcade unit was close to the power of a PS4.

Motherboard - 30 USD

CPU (Intel G3258) - 45 USD

RAM (4GB DDR3) - 12 USD (add another for 8GB I didn't need it for what games I play)

Power Supply (Antec Earthwatts 500w) - 15 USD

Hard Drive (1 TB Western Digital Blue) - 30 USD

Video Card (EVGA 750 Ti superclocked) - 70 USD

So altogether I spent 202 dollars to get an experience close to the PS4.

I already tried out Mortal Kombat X on it and it ran fine at 1080p. I don't use it to play many current games though since it's for arcade like games from the past.

Still have to add some finishing touches to my bartop arcade.