Can A Computer Get Worse Over Time??

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_MURS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 _MURS_
Member since 2007 • 2342 Posts

Can it??

When i first bought it i could play Battlefield 2 on all high settings.....now it cant even handle it on medium......and every time i play i make sure I have no un-needed processes going, so i know its not that...

Or is it that Battlefield 2 just got all these patches which makes it more demanding on the computer?? All i know is I miss playing it.....

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Do you maintain your computer? You need to keep it free of malicious programs, background apps that eat up memory, defrag your drives, etc. Do you run malaware programs and such bi-weekly?
grisibur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 grisibur
Member since 2004 • 600 Posts

To answer your topic question, Yes they can if not properly maintained.

And dont only check your processor but your memory also.

Killer_Canuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Killer_Canuck
Member since 2005 • 184 Posts
I did maintain my computerfairly well, but over time it still lost performance.A format of the hard drive took care of that, and it was as good as new
concord9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 concord9
Member since 2003 • 949 Posts

I also have this problem, my solution just format the comp once or twice a year and it'll run like new. Aside from keeping it virus and spyware free, windows seems to oddly implode on it self after a while of use. Take note I'm a power user, comp runs almost 24/7, test all types of beta software/drivers, run different types ofVE tools, build code, make and render graphics etc.

If you don't want to format make sure you check MSCONFIG tool and check what processes start up, alot of crap can pile up there which will result in considerably lower performance. Also check you're task processes to check if you have unneeded tasks, google is a great tool for finding out what specific stuff is.

waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

worst .... well it could, but it won't be a slow performance drop, when the time comes it will get worst you will suddently see a diffence

ECCEPT for the heating, the heat my increase over time if you don't clean it up from time to time

one more thing, today the motherboard and all parts of a computer can be shut and booted over 5k times if it's not 10k ... so if you sometime upgrade your CPU, add more memory, change the graphic card
the parts that stays the same like maybe the motherboard, the power supply, some memory sticks might sometime blow up if you kept them for years ...

Ken1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ken1a
Member since 2006 • 359 Posts
Run a diagnostic and post it.
harfsennator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 harfsennator
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
If you got alot of crap on your pc , try to re-install windows/mac again. That will make your pc as new
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts
That is not possible. If you using XP you have to defrag at least once a month and delete junk files. Also if you have more and more programs running in the background it will decrease performance.
waza000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 waza000
Member since 2005 • 1906 Posts

Do you maintain your computer? You need to keep it free of malicious programs, background apps that eat up memory, defrag your drives, etc. Do you run malaware programs and such bi-weekly?TheCrazed420

OHHH
but for your specific problem

here it is : your computer is fresh and new, there is almost nothing on it so the few things you have will run really good

but after you start download plugins, softwares, some stuff open at the same time as windows does, so after some time it sure will have its power eaten by other stuff than your video game

here's something you can do
go in start, run, type in : msconfig , go on the Startup option, check off a few that are in it
those are the softwares that starts when your windows boot (they sure will stay opened after and will eat some power of your computer

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
spraying the insides of your pc with compressed air could help remove dusk and reduce heat!
Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]Do you maintain your computer? You need to keep it free of malicious programs, background apps that eat up memory, defrag your drives, etc. Do you run malaware programs and such bi-weekly?waza000

OHHH
but for your specific problem

here it is : your computer is fresh and new, there is almost nothing on it so the few things you have will run really good

but after you start download plugins, softwares, some stuff open at the same time as windows does, so after some time it sure will have its power eaten by other stuff than your video game

here's something you can do
go in start, run, type in : msconfig , go on the Startup option, check off a few that are in it
those are the softwares that starts when your windows boot (they sure will stay opened after and will eat some power of your computer

This explains it all. Besides that, when you install/unistall things, the programs usually leave some unneeded registry entries which also slow down your computer. You can perform a cleanup and fine tune the start up with msconfig, though in the end it is very likely that you will end up formatting and re-installing windows. That takes care of everything.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
I recommend to format your PC every or every second year. No more fragmented files and background crap.
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lokstah
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

Can it??

When i first bought it i could play Battlefield 2 on all high settings.....now it cant even handle it on medium......and every time i play i make sure I have no un-needed processes going, so i know its not that...

Or is it that Battlefield 2 just got all these patches which makes it more demanding on the computer?? All i know is I miss playing it.....

_MURS_

Techincally, no. In practice? Definitely. A lot goes wrong, little by little, every day. Three factors in particulargrind your system to a halt as time goes by:

1) You file structure gets messed up. Lots of material (useful or not) on your harddrive, particularly when it's not well organized, slows down your drive's read and write times. Loose stuff you don't need, and defrag from time to time.

2) Applications gobble up resources. Some of it is stuff you need or want--like an anti-virus program, or a messenger service. Some of it is extraneous junk that installs itself along with legit programs-- stuff that"enhances" youdesktop, or plugs into your browser, for instance. Some of it is pure garbage--adware, spyware, and hostile crap which monitors your web use, captures data, or generally just screws stuff up. Get acquainted with what's running in the background, and remove what you don't need or want. Some legit stuff can be configured to only launch when needed, as opposed to at startup.

3) Dust and other junk clogs your vents, fans, heatsinks, and other bits, steadily decreasing your machine's ability to stay cool. Hot video cards, CPUs, and other bits are less efficient, and ultimately, are more prone to screwing up or failing altogether. Keep your box, fans, and heatsinks clean by hitting them with compressed air and a soft brush every now and then (more frequently if you've got a hairy pet).

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lokstah

If you got alot of crap on your pc , try to re-install windows/mac again. That will make your pc as newharfsennator

Reinstalling your OS rarely fixes anything. If your computer is truly screwy on a software or filestructure level, you need to wipe the drive completely--back your stuff up, and reformat/repartition the drive(s) before reinstalling your OS. It's an advisable practice for any machine that sees a lot of action (how often? it depends on need. I think once a year is a little excessive for most--maybe every few years, if you keep your machine that long).

But in terms of problem solving, wiping your drive should be a last-ish resort.

dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
I have found windows has a funny way of degrading over time...no matter what I do to keep it maintained. After 3-4 years, it seems to me no matter what I do, it starts slowing down. I have heard this is due to your registry getting out of hand with installing/uninstalling software and such. So I have made it common practice for my computer to ensure I have a good back up solution, and just format/re-install windows every two-three years. Coincidently, this coincides with my upgrade plan anyways, so it all works out in the end.
_MURS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _MURS_

O....well i do aboslutely nothing to maintain it.....and i never turn it off...

I dont ever turn my computer off....unless i have to restart it for an install or something.....if that matters at all...

I do a spyware clean, and something called "Registry Cleaner" right before i want to play a game though....

I dont defrag because it takes 3 years, and i dont do those windows updates because i think they are annoying and they dont do anything...

I dont want to reformat though, i have to much on this computer that id lose and not be able to get back.....

gamelord2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gamelord2004
Member since 2004 • 1448 Posts

CCleaner to get rid of junk files and registry entries

auslogics disk defrag to defrag your computer

startup inspector to block useless programs like itunes helper and adobe reader speed launch

a good spyware,firewall, and antivirus program is needed too.

windows has a version of everything listed above, but these are better, faster, and still free!

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 lokstah

I dont ever turn my computer off....unless i have to restart it for an install or something.....if that matters at all...

I do a spyware clean, and something called "Registry Cleaner" right before i want to play a game though....

I dont defrag because it takes 3 years, and i dont do those windows updates because i think they are annoying and they dont do anything...

I dont want to reformat though, i have to much on this computer that id lose and not be able to get back.....

_MURS_

Well, to be blunt, those are some of thereasons you're likely to have a slower computer over time. A few thoughts in addition to the 3 points I listed earlier:

1) Defragging is the easiest thing you can do to help keep your computer in good shape. Set it up to go before you go to sleep; if it's not done by the morning, it should be done by the time you get home from work or school. It's worth doing.

2) Those Windows updates? You need them. Ok, as any Microsoft skeptic will tell you, some of them are less helpful than others, and every now and then, some cause problems. But for the casual user, the safest bet by FAR is to permit Windows to update itself. There are lots of important fixes in many of those updates and service packs--some are performance related, and others close serioius security loopholes. Unless you're a hardcore tweaker, you should do them. Period.

3) Leaving your machine on isn't a problem. As you pointed out, letting it reboot for installs is sometimes necessary. Once you start permitting updates (which, again, you should), you'll find that those require updates too. Leaving it on, leaving it off; there's some discussion about pros and cons, but really, it's not a big concern either way.

4) Reformatting is, as a problem-solving measure, a last resort. As a matter of general maintinence, it's a hardcore maneuver, but one that has usefulness every 1-3 years or so. Sometimes, though, with a particularly messy machine, it's the only way to solve issues. You'd be shocked how much crap is worming around in there, jacking up your filestructure, eating memory, wasting drive space, and slowing stuff down. You SHOULD be backing important stuff up anyways; backup drives are cheap. If you're unsure about the process of a drive-wipe/reinstall, there are probably good walkthroughs online. You should consider it.

_MURS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 _MURS_
[QUOTE="_MURS_"]

lokstah

Well, to be blunt, these are all reasons you're likely to have a slower computer over time. A few thoughts in addition to the 3 points I listed earlier:

1) Defragging is the easiest thing you can do to help keep your computer in good shape. Set it up to go before you go to sleep; if it's not done by the morning, it should be done by the time you get home from work or school. It's worth doing.

2) Those Windows updates? You need them. Ok, as any Microsoft skeptic will tell you, some of them are less helpful than others, and every now and then, some cause problems. But for the casual user, the safest bet by FAR is to permit Windows to update itself. There are lots of important fixes in many of those updates and service packs--some are performance related, and others close serioius security loopholes. Unless you're a hardcore tweaker, you should do them. Period.

3) Leaving your machine on isn't a problem. As you pointed out, letting it reboot for installs is sometimes necessary. Once you start permitting updates (which, again, you should), you'll find that those require updates too. Leaving it on, leaving it off; there's some discussion about pros and cons, but really, it's not a big concern either way.

4) Reformatting is, as a problem-solving measure, a last resort. As a matter of general maintinence, it's a hardcore maneuver, but one that has usefulness every 1-3 years or so. Sometimes, though, with a particularly messy machine, it's the only way to solve issues. You'd be shocked how much crap is worming around in there, jacking up your filestructure, eating memory, wasting drive space, and slowing stuff down. You SHOULD be backing important stuff up anyways; backup drives are cheap. If you're unsure about the process of a drive-wipe/reinstall, there are probably good walkthroughs online. You should consider it.

I just dont wanna lose all my music, and a couple of games I have installed on it.....but ive downloaded so much stuff over the years which i dont use anymore, and they have files all over the place.....

I think reformatting would be the best...but i dont wanna do it if its not guaranteed to get my computer to run better....plus the entire reason im doing it is to get battlefield to run...but then id have to go buy battlefield again because i lost the cd's...

GPAddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 GPAddict
Member since 2005 • 5964 Posts
NO, but too much PRON can! LOL
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lokstah
I just dont wanna lose all my music, and a couple of games I have installed on it.....but ive downloaded so much stuff over the years which i dont use anymore, and they have files all over the place.....

I think reformatting would be the best...but i dont wanna do it if its not guaranteed to get my computer to run better....plus the entire reason im doing it is to get battlefield to run...but then id have to go buy battlefield again because i lost the cd's...

_MURS_

Well, if you're unable to backup your important stuff, and reinstalling your software is impossible, then yes, you won't be able to wipe your drive without causing yourself lots of pain. That's a tough lesson... down the road, with your next machine, for instance, try to keep your personal files and media organized, your software installation files and/or discs in a safe place, and for the love of Yahweh, get yourself a backup drive.

In the meantime, try the other suggestions listed in this thread. Defrag, update, search and modify/curb/destory background or startup-clogging applications, and clean out the inside of your case.

_MURS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 _MURS_
[QUOTE="_MURS_"]I just dont wanna lose all my music, and a couple of games I have installed on it.....but ive downloaded so much stuff over the years which i dont use anymore, and they have files all over the place.....

lokstah

Well, if you're unable to backup your important stuff, and reinstalling your software is impossible, then yes, you won't be able to wipe your drive without causing yourself lots of pain. That's a tough lesson... down the road, with your next machine, for instance, try to keep your personal files and media organized, your software installation files and/or discs in a safe place, and for the love of Yahweh, get yourself a backup drive.

In the meantime, try the other suggestions listed in this thread. Defrag, update, search and modify/curb/destory background or startup-clogging applications, and clean out the inside of your case.

there is soooo much dust on the back and on the fans and stuff....i take it thats not very good...

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lokstah

Well, NO. As I pointed out earlier, hot components function less efficiently, are more prone to errors, and ultimately, more prone to failure. As dust builds up in important areas (inlets, outlets, fans, and heatsinks, most notably), your computer is less and less able to deal with the heat it generates.

Keeping it clean is important. It's not the answer to all your problems, but it's important.

Coldsoul9077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Coldsoul9077
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

how often do you lean your pc? the inside that is.. as in applying new thermal paste and cleaning heatsinks and fans? Heat can cause a lot more drag on a pc while operating under heavy loads.

Luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 Luthorcrow
Member since 2003 • 696 Posts
If you got that much dust for that long as mentioned, thermal damage may have jacked your rig. That said, before jumping to conclusions, do this and tell is what happens: 1) Get some can air and blow out all the dust from inside of your computer including the fans to the CPU and video card. 2) Run a Check Disk on all you drives. Start it at night because its going take a long time, it will likely require a restart to if you only have one partition. 3) The next day or again you could do it before going to sleep run the defrag on all of your drives. Then let us know how your rig and game is running. Also, press CLT+ALT+DELETE and tell us how many processes you got running when just idling.
_MURS_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _MURS_

how often do you lean your pc? the inside that is.. as in applying new thermal paste and cleaning heatsinks and fans? Heat can cause a lot more drag on a pc while operating under heavy loads.

Coldsoul9077

never have....and its been 3 years

Luthorcrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Luthorcrow
Member since 2003 • 696 Posts
Well between that and the defrag you are due for a melt down. If you jump on our advice you might be able to save it but otherwise are you due for thermal failure / hard drive failure. I guess all comes down to whether you care about the data you have and whether you can afford a new box. You decide.
jodamn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#29 jodamn
Member since 2007 • 893 Posts
Thermal damage is a risk not to be taken lightly, but it seems like the actual cause of slowdowns is more often on the software side. Did you build your own computer, possibly without adequate ventilation and/or do you overclock your gfx card or cpu? If not, you're probably at far less risk for real heat damage. To be certain, there's a slew of apps you can run that'll give you the current operating temperature of your cpu, gfx card, etc (the nvidia control panel includes such a gauge). This way, you can be confident your machine isn't getting too hot internally.
Mr_NoName111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mr_NoName111
Member since 2005 • 1035 Posts
Correct be if im wrong, but computers can not only get slower due to the software, but also the hardware. As time goes by, the parts can wear out and start to malfunction. An example being the capacitors on your motherboard (Those battery-looking things). These can start to leak over time, causing system instability.
lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lokstah

Coldsoul9077

Applying new thermal paste? Where did you get that idea?

Yes, it's wise to clean out heatsinks and fans, but thermal paste (provided it's applied correctly in the first place) wants to be left alone. The paste needs time to "cure" into position; heat, over time, changes its composition and sort of locks it into place, fully meshing into fissures, pits, etc, and stabilizing. Fresh thermal paste does not perform as well as paste that's been in place for months.

If you're removing your heatsink, cleaning it and the CPU die, and replacing the paste, you're never going to have as precise a contact each succesive time. There's always going to be a buildup of residual layers, and that's not what you want.

If your thermal paste is in place and working, leave it alone.

zxvb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 zxvb
Member since 2007 • 633 Posts
i agree that background processes can pile up. To check if said processes are needed, use processlibrary.com. I've recommended it before, all you have to do is type in the process in question. I only have about 35 processes, can anyone confirm if this is a low number.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12809 Posts

Can it??

_MURS_

i guess the patches, but it could be something else - computers don't get worse over time from nothing

lokstah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lokstah

Correct be if im wrong, but computers can not only get slower due to the software, but also the hardware. As time goes by, the parts can wear out and start to malfunction. An example being the capacitors on your motherboard (Those battery-looking things). These can start to leak over time, causing system instability.Mr_NoName111

It depends on the hardware... I suppose with some sorts of components, such as those with mechanical, moving parts, it's possible (any engineers out there, feel free to chime in/correct me). But my sense is that a clean piece of purely digital hardware not being dragged down by external stressors, like excessive heat, performs virtually as well over time as when new.

The issue is clouded because so many external factors create slowdowns that are pronounced and measurable--factors like heat, software, and others. Most of us never have the opportunity to test this precisely.

I'd wager that under test conditions,a perfectly clean GPU performs as well at 3 years as at 2.

There are, though, hardware pieces with mechanical components and moving parts--standard hard drives, for instance, Those, I'm sure, can be susceptible to wearing down over time. Most of us have had the pleasure of seeing a harddrive hara-kiri itself before our eyes.

mcneilmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mcneilmatt
Member since 2004 • 129 Posts

this is a good topic. ilearned a few things by reading it over

skullman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skullman1
Member since 2005 • 3384 Posts
I have a feeling it's BF2, one way to test it is to re-install and play with 1.0, find out your best settings/fps then install 1.41 or whatever they are on right now and benchmark it again.That will tell you for sure if it's you PC or the game.It might be a lot of work but it's woth it if you really want to know what the problem is.
domke13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 domke13
Member since 2006 • 2891 Posts
If that slowdown happens to only some of your games and not all, than there is probably something to fo wthit hose games, and software. I mean, run 3D Mark 06 and if your score is normal we can probably rule out hardware issues. And also if that happens to only couple of games than its probably software issue too. Just try to run 3D Mark 06 if you have it. Its good test for overheating and other hardware issues whit GPU, RAM, and CPU.
aceruber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 aceruber
Member since 2007 • 111 Posts
a computer can get a slight drop in preformance in time(like 4-5 years you will notice it ) ,even if you take care :P