This topic is locked from further discussion.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

I don't really have a problem with C&C4 despite the legions of C&C fan backlash. It's actually a good game if you can get over that it plays drastically different.

If there is one thing that is really bugging right now it's the camera. No zoom is bad, especially when you're that close up to the battlefield. I like to be up close to the action but I also like to be able to actually see my surroundings. Gah.

SF_KiLLaMaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SF_KiLLaMaN
Member since 2007 • 6446 Posts

I don't really have a problem with C&C4 despite the legions of C&C fan backlash. It's actually a good game if you can get over that it plays drastically different.

If there is one thing that is really bugging right now it's the camera. No zoom is bad, especially when you're that close up to the battlefield. I like to be up close to the action but I also like to be able to actually see my surroundings. Gah.

zomglolcats
yeah, it would be nice for the camera to zoom out a bit more. and I agree, the game isn't all that bad.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 zomglolcats
[QUOTE="zomglolcats"]

SF_KiLLaMaN
yeah, it would be nice for the camera to zoom out a bit more. and I agree, the game isn't all that bad.

Yeah I actually like the game so far. I just started, but I wrote what I thought in my blog. Overall though I think they did a good job. Would I have preferred classic C&C? Well yeah probably, but it's not like the game we got isn't any fun.
VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

Lack of camera zoom out ability is what pretty much turned me off of most RTSs.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zomglolcats

Lack of camera zoom out ability is what pretty much turned me off of most RTSs.

VeryBumpy
Especially after SupCom. I mean I don't expect every game to have strategic zoom, but SOME form of zoom is nice. With C&C4 it seems even more up close than normal.
MaxGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MaxGamer
Member since 2002 • 16500 Posts

Lead designer Sam Bass mentioned in an interview that the SAGE engine prevented them from zooming out further.

I think you can listen to the Q & A here:

http://na.llnet.cnc3tv.ea.com/u/f/eagames/cnc3/cnc3tv/CNC4MarchDeveloperChat.mp3

tehHaXo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 tehHaXo
Member since 2010 • 105 Posts

I just finished the Soviet campaign of Red Alert 3. I have C&C 4 but haven't installed it yet. Is it totally different?

tehHaXo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tehHaXo
Member since 2010 • 105 Posts

I just finished the Soviet campaign of Red Alert 3. I have C&C 4 but haven't installed it yet. Is it totally different?

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 zomglolcats

tehHaXo

I haven't played RA3 but from what I've read, yes C&C4 is totally different. It plays vastly different than any other C&C game (or even most other RTS games period). Basically, no base building, control point victory system for multi, unit unlocks, etc. Not a bad thing, but for big C&C fans it's a bit of a disappointment because they wanted more of the same, but just bigger and better. Like what Blizzard is doing with Starcraft 2 for instance.

zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zomglolcats

Lead designer Sam Bass mentioned in an interview that the SAGE engine prevented them from zooming out further.

I think you can listen to the Q & A here:

http://na.llnet.cnc3tv.ea.com/u/f/eagames/cnc3/cnc3tv/CNC4MarchDeveloperChat.mp3

MaxGamer
Hmm. I don't have time to listen to that right now, but that sounds interesting. I think it's a bit odd however that they didn't decide to make the units a tad smaller then to give you a better view at once of what is going on if that is the case. Like I've said, I think the units look good, and being up close and personal in the battle is fun, but ultimately, if the game engine is preventing them from adding zoom, then they needed to scale those units down. Or code a new engine that fixes that problem. But I guess that would be more time and resources than they wanted to spend. Though in the long run it would have been worth it (from a gamer's standpoint).
capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

My problem is that I just can't get over it. I might have been able to, but every little problem I have with it just stacked up and fell over into a big pile of fail. Mobile bases could have worked, but they are easily replaced. Capture points could have been a good incentive to get out and fight, but not replace harvesting entirely. Experience system could have been cool, but once you unlock everything there's no point. Unlocking units/abilites could have been interesting, but there is no customization. And so on.... I've played the beta and can say it's not horrible, but I can't say it's very good either. It just feels like C&C in name only. And I guess I can't get over that.