Call of Duty 4 looking better than Crysis?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lord_DoDo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Lord_DoDo56
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts

I think that COD4 is looking better than most FPS' coming out this year. It's shaping up great.

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
No. Though I am looking forward to it, it still doesn't touch Crysis.
Super-Trooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Super-Trooper
Member since 2004 • 1591 Posts
erm are you talking overall as a game or graphically, because crysis still wins in graphics.. and gameplay also the way its looking. CoD4 looks like 3 and 3 looked like 2 and so on - its not a bad game but they are just changing the setting..
Mithrandir0x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mithrandir0x
Member since 2007 • 329 Posts
I wouldn't say that so easily.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I wouldn't say that it looks as good as crysis, but thats not saying Call of Duty 4 looks bad. Getting a game looking better than Crysis would be a massive undertaking.
Lord_DoDo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#6 Lord_DoDo56
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
We are all entitled to our opinions but COD4 does not look like COD3 or 2.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
No , CoD4 is a bunch of scripted graphics you will see less than 10% of the game, that trailer is soo misleading.
Brendonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Brendonius
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts
How can you compare the two games, when there is no in game play, graphics or screens for CoD4 to compare with? However CoD4 will have more time to develope the game to maximise the potential of DX10 as well as the use of other hardware advances not available during developement of Crysis. So, only time will tell!
MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MadExponent
Member since 2003 • 11454 Posts
CoD4 will look very good indeed, but I don't think it looks as good as Crysis yet. Besides what if it did? None of us have even played Crysis. Crysis will look amazing when it ships. You have to remember that Crysis still has some time to get tweaked and whatnot.
race_suace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 race_suace
Member since 2006 • 1685 Posts
CoD4 will look very good indeed, but I don't think it looks as good as Crysis yet. Besides what if it did? None of us have even played Crysis. Crysis will look amazing when it ships. You have to remember that Crysis still has some time to get tweaked and whatnot.MadExponent
mdcw9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mdcw9
Member since 2005 • 158 Posts

you cant really compare COD4 to COD3 as their not made by the same developers. Straight after COD2 they started work on COD4 and gave another dev to work on COD3 which was crap btw. COD4 is going to have very realistic graphics, the devs recon its 10 time as good as COD2, and even now, COD2 is pretty realistic. But no, it wont have graphics comparable to crysis, the engine isnt as good.

gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts
We'll see...
Avatar image for ThereIsNoEscape
ThereIsNoEscape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 ThereIsNoEscape
Member since 2007 • 83 Posts

No.

Simply put.

19chevelle72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 19chevelle72
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts

Maybe its just me.. and maybe I played in a few too many online tourniments... but most people got the COD series for the great multiplayer. And ussually people who play to truely win a match (tournys etc.) will lower all graphic settings to maximize performance. Also when you lower settings it makes maps more bland so you can see enemys better in some game (BF2).

So my thought is... when and why would you worry about graphics in a heavy multiplayer game like COD..... I mean the entire series had good graphics in general but they didnt strive for ULTRA HIGH graphics like crysis. Which concerns me, because I dont want the FPS community to go 'this is the standard (crysis) now follow suite". Because its just going to take away from smaller companies developing FPS. In the mid 90s there were hundreds of FPS all being released at the same time.. Quake hit (true 3d) and guess what... not as many FPS came out anymore. Fewer n fewer FPS are coming out now...

I really really hope this doesn't become the way that games are being rated, or talked about now. I just want a good COD4 gameplay wise, and crysis well, if she has the multiplayer down, I'll be happy too, and yep I will lower the settings to low for multiplayer :)

ncderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ncderek
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
graphics looks the same as cod2, looks horrible
death5ter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 death5ter
Member since 2005 • 1001 Posts

We are all entitled to our opinions but COD4 does not look like COD3 or 2.Lord_DoDo56

Well, i don't think that Crysis does not look like Farcry too....

Arcadius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Arcadius
Member since 2002 • 959 Posts
Either way we win, unless of course the game is plagued by crappy gameplay and bugs.
ArcticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ArcticSnake
Member since 2003 • 942 Posts

Maybe its just me.. and maybe I played in a few too many online tourniments... but most people got the COD series for the great multiplayer. And ussually people who play to truely win a match (tournys etc.) will lower all graphic settings to maximize performance. Also when you lower settings it makes maps more bland so you can see enemys better in some game (BF2).

So my thought is... when and why would you worry about graphics in a heavy multiplayer game like COD.....

19chevelle72

Thats simple, because after the gutted multiplayer known as CoD 2 came out, many old old CoD vets will be looking at the singleplayer only.

Karl319

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Karl319
Member since 2005 • 4390 Posts
No. Though I am looking forward to it, it still doesn't touch Crysis.TheCrazed420
My thoughts exactly. One is dx9, other is 10, that's already a difference. And overal, Crysis > CoD4, visually.
Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#20 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts

Nothing looks better than Crysis

dunamistheou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dunamistheou
Member since 2005 • 4744 Posts
If it looked better than Crysis, it couldn't be made for consoles, nor could any hardware (out to the consumer) run it on high/max. ;)
Jason____

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jason____
Member since 2003 • 335 Posts
Nope. Call of Doodie 4 doesn't touch Crysis. I'll give it credit though; at least they have gotten past WWII. I swear, we have entirely too many WWII games.
Avatar image for DigitalTeknique
DigitalTeknique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 DigitalTeknique
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts
COD 4's graphics look similar to COD 2's. It is basically the art direction that makes it look a bit different because it isn't based on a WWII setting. And no, COD 4 doesn't come close to Crysis at all.
bulletproof123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 bulletproof123
Member since 2005 • 43 Posts

Pete5506

Eh, that statement could be debated. Unreal tournament3 is pretty much even, if not better, than crysis. Mass Effect is pretty close too. But, like Arcadius said, either way we win. Yay!

Avatar image for imthelumberjack
imthelumberjack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 imthelumberjack
Member since 2005 • 1280 Posts
[QUOTE="Pete5506"]

bulletproof123

Eh, that statement could be debated. Unreal tournament3 is pretty much even, if not better, than crysis. Mass Effect is pretty close too. But, like Arcadius said, either way we win. Yay!

UT3 isn't quite up to Crysis level. Also the Unreal Engine 3 has more of a stylization to it (not saying thats a bad thing) while CryEngine 2 renders more realistically. Looking foward to both though.

Vic_Vega1994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Vic_Vega1994
Member since 2003 • 1397 Posts
Call of Duty 4 insnt even in the same league as Crysis
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
[QUOTE="bulletproof123"][QUOTE="Pete5506"]

imthelumberjack

UT3 isn't quite up to Crysis level. Also the Unreal Engine 3 has more of a stylization to it (not saying thats a bad thing) while CryEngine 2 renders more realistically. Looking foward to both though.

I think a lot of people make this assumption when talking about this subject. You simply cannot say that one engine renders "more realistically" than another simply because of the style of the game it's being used to create. Feature-for-feature, the most current 3D rendering engines tend to look a lot alike in terms of graphics. The biggest differences technically are optimizations in regards to level size, draw distance, hardware support, etc.. All the pretty sunlight-through-the-trees effects we've seen in Crysis are just shader effects which, in theory, could be created just as easily in either engine. Whatever style of artwork happens to be appearing in the games these engines are powering is completely incidental. Just my $0.02.
AngelB1ack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AngelB1ack
Member since 2005 • 7936 Posts
I'm more excited about CoD4 myself..
chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#29 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
erm are you talking overall as a game or graphically, because crysis still wins in graphics.. and gameplay also the way its looking. CoD4 looks like 3 and 3 looked like 2 and so on - its not a bad game but they are just changing the setting..Super-Trooper
Avatar image for DigitalTeknique
DigitalTeknique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DigitalTeknique
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts
[QUOTE="Pete5506"]

bulletproof123

Unreal 3 tournament does not come close to Crysis. Until I see some interactive environments, physics, Global illumination, parrallax occlusion mapping, Day and nigh cycle, destructible environments, Real-time 3D waves, etc. etc., then we could debate about Unreal 3 tournament competing with Crysis. As for Mass Effect, lol, that game doesn't even come close to Gears of War. Have you even seen the combat videos of Mass Effect? It looks just about as good as GRAW 360.

h1dd3n5had0w

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31 h1dd3n5had0w
Member since 2005 • 2141 Posts

I'm more excited about CoD4 myself..AngelB1ack

Same here.

kakarotxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kakarotxiv
Member since 2003 • 3243 Posts
not even close. while COD4 looks awesome, nothing touches crysis yet. on that note i read COD4 uses a modified COD2 engine. you could tell from the smoke
TheBladeX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TheBladeX
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts

Well , the fact it's impossible for one simple thing : Crysis runs DX10 and COD 4 runs DX9!

opethpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 opethpwn
Member since 2007 • 583 Posts
cod4 is not a touch on crysis, although i love the cod series. tbh, cod4 just looks identical to cod2 graphically except with some better lighting effects and textures. also i think crysis devs have a lot more freedom as they are not hindered by set hardware like consoles.
StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts

not even close. while COD4 looks awesome, nothing touches crysis yet. on that note i read COD4 uses a modified COD2 engine. you could tell from the smokekakarotxiv

I heard COD2 was made with a modified quake 3 engine with different added things, I would be really suprised if COD4 also uses the quake 3 engine, it would really be quite amazing how such a old engine can be used like this. As for the smoke effects, I think it's from something called Z-feather, it's in World in Conflict too.

kakarotxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kakarotxiv
Member since 2003 • 3243 Posts
you heard wrong cod2 engine was a new one, not modified from another
tramp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tramp
Member since 2003 • 2110 Posts
CoD4looks like S.T.A.L.K.E.R with nice smoke effects.