Buying first gaming PC

#1 Posted by domb (3 posts) -

Hello!

As it's my first post in this forum, I'm not familiar with people here so I don't know who to ask from about my questions. I hope you can help me. Anyways, I have a very old laptop, not gaming one, but for office working, only specs that i found about it was about processor: i5- 2520M CPU 2.5 Ghz. Also i found that it had started with windows xp and uprgaded to 7 now 10. As for gaming with it is horrible, tring to play war thunder or CS GO i get 5-10 fps on lowest setting possible.

I have been looking for PC starter sets and searched for specs about them so i found 3 that as i understand have good stats. Could anyone help me to choose and explain why the one you chose would be the best. Below are the links, they are in Estonian, but I think you can understand the specs that are brought out.

Cheapest one (819eur): https://manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-komplektid/gaming-pc-5-komplekt/

Second one(825eur): https://manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-komplektid/gaming-pc-5-plus-komplekt/

Third one(849eur): https://manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-komplektid/gaming-pc-25-komplekt/

Thanks in advance

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
#2 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (1239 posts) -

The 3rd setup is the only one with a proper GPU for 1080p-60fps, but you need 2x8GB RAM. You could pick the components yourself and maybe get a better deal, or higher quality, but if they include a monitor for that price I think it's hard to beat.

#3 Edited by xantufrog (11506 posts) -

@PfizersaurusRex: I disagree, he'll be fine right now with the 8GB RAM in System 3. I still have 8 and game in 1080/1440p on modern games just fine. Only a couple of games have exceeded that, and that's when I push 4k Ultra.

Honestly, System 3 is a good deal. You can add another 8GB RAM when it becomes an actual problem in a couple of years

#4 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

The first setup has a GPU with 2GB VRAM so stay away from that one if though its a lot cheaper than the other two... And the other two systems?... The price makes no sense to even bother with system 2 since system 3 has a CPU with 200Mhz higher all core boost clock which will come in handy and a GPU that is 25-35% faster with 2GB more VRAM.

You cannot go wrong with 3 and its a great system for 1080/60Hz gaming.

8GB is also fine for gaming right now but maybe in a rear or two like @xantufrog said grab 2x 8GB sticks.

#5 Posted by appariti0n (2774 posts) -
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

The first setup has a GPU with 2GB VRAM so stay away from that one if though its a lot cheaper than the other two... And the other two systems?... The price makes no sense to even bother with system 2 since system 3 has a CPU with 200Mhz higher all core boost clock which will come in handy and a GPU that is 25-35% faster with 2GB more VRAM.

8GB is also fine for gaming right now but maybe in a rear or two like @xantufrog said grab 2x 8GB sticks.

I can't say i've ever grabbed an 8 Gb stick, let alone a pair of them from someone's rear. Kudos to you!

#6 Edited by PredatorRules (12446 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

@PfizersaurusRex: I disagree, he'll be fine right now with the 8GB RAM in System 3. I still have 8 and game in 1080/1440p on modern games just fine. Only a couple of games have exceeded that, and that's when I push 4k Ultra.

Honestly, System 3 is a good deal. You can add another 8GB RAM when it becomes an actual problem in a couple of years

This is true, but if he's doing other stuff aside gaming on the background such as surfing etc he'll have hard time playing games with 8Gb RAM, the recommended in these days is 12Gb or the more common 16Gb.

@domb said:

Hello!

As it's my first post in this forum, I'm not familiar with people here so I don't know who to ask from about my questions. I hope you can help me. Anyways, I have a very old laptop, not gaming one, but for office working, only specs that i found about it was about processor: i5- 2520M CPU 2.5 Ghz. Also i found that it had started with windows xp and uprgaded to 7 now 10. As for gaming with it is horrible, tring to play war thunder or CS GO i get 5-10 fps on lowest setting possible.

I have been looking for PC starter sets and searched for specs about them so i found 3 that as i understand have good stats. Could anyone help me to choose and explain why the one you chose would be the best. Below are the links, they are in Estonian, but I think you can understand the specs that are brought out.

Cheapest one (819eur): https://manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-komplektid/gaming-pc-5-komplekt/

Second one(825eur): https://manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-komplektid/gaming-pc-5-plus-komplekt/

Third one(849eur): https://manguarvutid.ee/e-pood/manguri-komplektid/gaming-pc-25-komplekt/

Thanks in advance

2nd setup no doubt, I don't know why do they sell the third setup for 50 euros more but it's actually worse IMO, no one plays on 21' monitors these days, the standard is 24' and the difference between CPUs isn't high.

Also if you pick the 2nd setup you can use that extra 50 euros to buy another 8Gb DDR4.

#7 Edited by domb (3 posts) -

@PredatorRules: As for monitor size, I'm more used to smaller monitor, my current laptop monitor is only 14'' so 24'' would be a bit overkill for me :)

Thanks to you all, I'm currently thinking to pick up system 3 and probably add 4 or 8Gb, havent decided yet shall I add it or in some next years

#8 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@appariti0n said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

I can't say i've ever grabbed an 8 Gb stick, let alone a pair of them from someone's rear. Kudos to you!

#9 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:
@xantufrog said:

This is true, but if he's doing other stuff aside gaming on the background such as surfing etc he'll have hard time playing games with 8Gb RAM, the recommended in these days is 12Gb or the more common 16Gb.

@domb said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance

2nd setup no doubt, I don't know why do they sell the third setup for 50 euros more but it's actually worse IMO, no one plays on 21' monitors these days, the standard is 24' and the difference between CPUs isn't high.

Also if you pick the 2nd setup you can use that extra 50 euros to buy another 8Gb DDR4.

What?...

Both monitors are probably cheap 1080/60hz panels choosing the PC because its 24" over 21.5" is a bad idea.

System 2:

• i5 9400 6 core with a all core boost of 3.9GHz
  • GTX 1650 4GB

System 3:

• i5 9500 6 core with a all core boost of 4.1GHz
  • GTX 1660 6GB

While the CPU isn't drastically stronger it will still give him a performance boost a 200MHz higher all core boost is welcome at those frequencies and the GPU difference is like going from a GTX 1050 to a GTX 1060... Its a drastic jump in performance.

21.5 vs 24"... That should not be the focus both are smaller and the difference between them will not be as noticeable as the performance difference between the two which their will be a drastic one.

#10 Posted by PredatorRules (12446 posts) -
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@PredatorRules said:
@xantufrog said:

@domb said:

Hello!

Thanks in advance

What?...

Both monitors are probably cheap 1080/60hz panels choosing the PC because its 24" over 21.5" is a bad idea.

System 2:

• i5 9400 6 core with a all core boost of 3.9GHz
  • GTX 1650 4GB

System 3:

• i5 9500 6 core with a all core boost of 4.1GHz
  • GTX 1660 6GB

While the CPU isn't drastically stronger it will still give him a performance boost a 200MHz higher all core boost is welcome at those frequencies and the GPU difference is like going from a GTX 1050 to a GTX 1060... Its a drastic jump in performance.

21.5 vs 24"... That should not be the focus both are smaller and the difference between them will not be as noticeable as the performance difference between the two which their will be a drastic one.

Oops didn't notice there's GPU difference I blame Nvidia for that with all these new similar modules.

And yes I think 24' is standard and essential for gaming desktop unless you want to bend your whole body for hours which will result in back pain.

#11 Posted by Grey_Eyed_Elf (6453 posts) -

@PredatorRules:

I feel you... Its why I got a 32" 1440p monitor. That said though the monitor sacrifice is worth it for that GPU/CPU jump for almost no real price difference.