Buying a used video card?

#1 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

Hi, so I currently have a gtx 1060 3gb and I would like to change it to an AMD equivalent since my monitor supports freesync via hdmi and I would like to use that feature.

So I'm looking over to the rx 580 8GB. Theres a guy on craiglist that sells it for 180CAD, says its only been used for work. On the other hand theres the same card for 200 on amazon, also used(says lighty used) and I believe Amazon has a 30 day return policy.

Which one would you go with it?

PS: should I also consider a refurbished 4GB one on newegg for 170$?

Thank you

#2 Posted by BassMan (10369 posts) -

@orrytur said:

Hi, so I currently have a gtx 1060 3gb and I would like to change it to an AMD equivalent since my monitor supports freesync via hdmi and I would like to use that feature.

So I'm looking over to the rx 580 8GB. Theres a guy on craiglist that sells it for 180CAD, says its only been used for work. On the other hand theres the same card for 200 on amazon, also used(says lighty used) and I believe Amazon has a 30 day return policy.

Thank you

580 8GB for $180.

#3 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

@BassMan: That was my first though too, but how will I know if it was used for mining, or if it even works? The guy said he doesn't have a desktop anymore so I can't test it.

#4 Posted by BassMan (10369 posts) -

@orrytur said:

@BassMan: That was my first though too, but how will I know if it was used for mining, or if it even works? The guy said he doesn't have a desktop anymore so I can't test it.

Most people are not out to rip you off. Just go with your gut when you meet up in person. I sell my old video cards all the time on CL and I take good care of my stuff. I have also bought used video cards with no issues.

#5 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

@BassMan: I still prefer having atleast a refund of 30 days just in case. Anyways, so on newegg there's a refurbished 580 4GB for 170 but there's a 3rd party vendor for a 580 8GB though amazon for 180. Which one is safer do you think?

#6 Edited by BassMan (10369 posts) -

Whichever u want. Just don't get the 4GB as that is too little VRAM. It's only $180. No point of wasting too much time deliberating over it.

#7 Edited by PredatorRules (12446 posts) -
@orrytur said:

Thank you

Hold your horses, what's your monitor model? I say that because my current cheap Samsung monitor supports FreeSync as well and it doesn't do sh^t. Thing is with FreeSync there's no regulation on these monitors because it's an open source software - brands can do whatever they want with this tech, so unless you own some 300$ at launch gaming monitor I do not recommend you switching to AMD just for FreeSync

#8 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

@PredatorRules: I currently have this monitor https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/led-sf350/LS24F350FHNXZA/. It does freesync up to 75hz and that's perfect for me since my games run between 60-80 range. I don't want to get a gsync monitor since it costs almost double the price of RX 580.

#9 Posted by PredatorRules (12446 posts) -
@orrytur said:

@PredatorRules: I currently have this monitor https://www.samsung.com/ca/monitors/led-sf350/LS24F350FHNXZA/. It does freesync up to 75hz and that's perfect for me since my games run between 60-80 range. I don't want to get a gsync monitor since it costs almost double the price of RX 580.

That's the exact same monitor I'm currently using - DO NOT switch to AMD GPU just because of FreeSync for this monitor, you'll have to get a better one.

I had R9 290 along with this monitor the FreeSync just made screen tearing - it did not work.

Save the money for something better, the monitor has PLS which is Samsung's IPS tech branding which is really good for this price point.

#10 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

I will also going from 3GB to 8GB so it's not just for freesync, also I might get a 144 freesync monitor in the future which costs way less than a 144 gsync

#11 Posted by XVision84 (16220 posts) -

@orrytur: You can look into the monitors that are gsync capable/compatible but not officially gsync since they're cheaper but supposedly better than freesync.

#12 Edited by ronvalencia (28056 posts) -

@PredatorRules said:
@orrytur said:

That's the exact same monitor I'm currently using - DO NOT switch to AMD GPU just because of FreeSync for this monitor, you'll have to get a better one.

I had R9 290 along with this monitor the FreeSync just made screen tearing - it did not work.

Save the money for something better, the monitor has PLS which is Samsung's IPS tech branding which is really good for this price point.

LG 32UL950's FreeSync DP works fine with RTX 2080 Ti and GTX 1080 Ti.

I tested LG 32UL950's FreeSync HDMI with RX Vega 8 Mobile and it works fine.

I haven't tested MSI Gaming X R9-290X with LG 32UL950.

#13 Posted by PredatorRules (12446 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@PredatorRules said:
@orrytur said:

LG 32UL950's FreeSync DP works fine with RTX 2080 Ti and GTX 1080 Ti.

I tested LG 32UL950's FreeSync HDMI with RX Vega 8 Mobile and it work fine.

I haven't tested MSI Gaming X R9-290X with LG 32UL950.

It's a 1300$ workstation monitor for graphic designers - you'd expect they'd put time on the freesync source.

#14 Posted by PredatorRules (12446 posts) -
@orrytur said:

I will also going from 3GB to 8GB so it's not just for freesync, also I might get a 144 freesync monitor in the future which costs way less than a 144 gsync

It's a 13% boost over your 1060 3Gb at 1080p and 16% boost at 1440p.

I don't think it's worth it, get at least RX590 but to be honest at the RX590 price point you'd better off with GTX1660 and it'll make less heat and draw less power.