Buying a new PC. PLEASE HELP!!!!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KptKrunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 KptKrunch
Member since 2007 • 33 Posts

Hey

Im new to the forums but im buying a new PC with this spec...

CPU: AMD Phenom™ X4 9550 Quad-Core CPU
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX 512MB 16X PCI Express
MEMORY: 3GB (3x1GB) PC6400 DDR2/800 Dual Channel
HDD: Single Hard Drive (250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8MB Cache 7200RPM HDD
HDD2: 250GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 8M Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive
FAN: CoolerMaster Liquid CPU Cooling System
POWERSUPPLY: Hiper 630W Type-M SLI/CrossFire Ready Power Supply
CD: SONY DUAL FORMAT 20X DVD±R/±RW
KEYBOARD/MOUSE:Logitech Cordless LX710 Desktop Laser Keyboard & Mouse
OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium w/ Service Pack 1 (32-bit Edition)

It is my first time buying a higher-end pc, and im getting this machine for Gaming aswell as some audio/video/graphics kinda work.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if that all seems ok or give any suggestions. Im able to afford this setup comfortably, so im not worried aout money-saving suggestions unless they benifit the system. My biggest fear is compatibility, such as the ram and the motherboard. And also Im still unsure about the powersupply. PLEASE HELP! It would be very much apreciated. Thank you

p.s. Im going with Vista, I know there are 100 reasons not to, but Ive done my reasoning and Im gonna try it out, so unless it is directly in relation to the hardware I have chosen, i dont really need any suggestions about the OS

TicTac8745

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 TicTac8745
Member since 2007 • 3902 Posts

Looks fine, but wonder if people are going to argue against getting the Phenom processor ....

Also, why 3GB of RAM? Might as well go for the full 4GB whiile you're at it...

And maybe a different power supply - I don't know anything about that Hiper one...

Orrendamente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Orrendamente
Member since 2007 • 362 Posts

I'd say it's a perfectly fine system, you should be able to blow any games out of the water.

I'd suggest getting bigger HDDs though, 2x250gb aren't going to get you very far anymore.

Don't worry about Vista, it's a perfectly fine OS and your PC will run it well. XP fanboys just like to complain because they're afraid of change.

blooddrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blooddrunk
Member since 2008 • 1036 Posts
if i were you, id dump the liquid cooling unless u really think you're going to OC beyond air cooling, and witht eh elftover case, bump it up to 4 gigs of ram and a corsair, antec, or ocz power supply
KptKrunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 KptKrunch

Also, why 3GB of RAM? Might as well go for the full 4GB whiile you're at it...TicTac8745

Done

if i were you, id dump the liquid cooling unless u really think you're going to OC beyond air cooling, and witht eh elftover case, bump it up to 4 gigs of ram and a corsair, antec, or ocz power supplyblooddrunk

The liquid cooling comes standard with the deal im getting so its not costing me extra, so unless you think it will be detremental to system im going to leave it.

mike4realz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mike4realz
Member since 2003 • 2577 Posts

dat system is fine. you'll be able to run games at high or very high settings.

the psu is also fine, it's a branded one.

hard drive is also fine, you can always add a bigger capacity since your mobo supports up to six SATA

KptKrunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 KptKrunch
Thanks for the advice everyone! It helped a lot.
george_hopkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 george_hopkins
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts
I would rather have a core 2 duo/quad processor rather than a phenom as i heard they weren't as good but it's up to you. I would also get 64 bit vista and go for the full 4 gigs. I would also get 16mb cache hard drives and if you can, change the PSU to a corsair one, corsairs are better than hipers.
george_hopkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 george_hopkins
Member since 2005 • 1397 Posts

[QUOTE="george_hopkins"]I would rather have a core 2 duo/quad processor rather than a phenom as i heard they weren't as good but it's up to you. I would also get 64 bit vista and go for the full 4 gigs. I would also get 16mb cache hard drives and if you can, change the PSU to a corsair one, corsairs are better than hipers.roulettethedog

I would also go with Intel if the price is nearly the same. A bigger cache on the hard drives is better but not essential.I disagree on 64 bit Vista for now as you can upgrade 32 bit later if needed. I have the Corsair 620 watt P.S.U. and it will run the 9800 fine, but I would play it safe and get a better P.S.U. The Corsair 750 watt is over priced.

Upgrading the 32bit will cost money to upgrade. I have a 650w corsair which i got for a bargain price of 53 pounds (TX 650) and i would recommend that. The HX620 is great though.

EVOLV3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 EVOLV3
Member since 2008 • 12210 Posts
I posted a rig before with the Phenom 9850 and every told me to switch to the Intel Q6600.
blooddrunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blooddrunk
Member since 2008 • 1036 Posts

I would rather have a core 2 duo/quad processor rather than a phenom as i heard they weren't as good but it's up to you. I would also get 64 bit vista and go for the full 4 gigs. I would also get 16mb cache hard drives and if you can, change the PSU to a corsair one, corsairs are better than hipers.george_hopkins

my buddy's phenom runs HOT!

with stock cooling it was 55-60 degrees idle, now its at around 40 but damn

KptKrunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 KptKrunch
Could anyone tell me if getting a MSI M9A2 Platinum AMD motherboard would be a better option. I have heard some stuff about compatibility issues with the Asus M2N32 with quadcore processors. The price difference is minimal so that doesnt bother me, Im jsut wondering which is the better board for my setup.