Thanks to Sony/MS sitting on waiting for the next gen a little bit longer (plus not really up for the Wii-U at launch, I'm willing to wait), I have enough funds to seriously invest into building myself a rig. Problem is, I'm a total newb at this, so feel free to mock me if I say anything completely ludicrous. I'd prefer to build my own since it's cheaper and it'd be a good learning experience. My goal is to make the thing last at least 6-7 years with upgrades towards the end of that timeline. I have $1500 I'm willing to commit. So, obviously I'll need the following and I haven't added up the costs yet but these are what I'm considering:
- CPU - AMD Bulldozer FX 8150, $299 with liquid cooling on Amazon, suggestions to keep it cost effective while providing the highest performance possible?
- GPU - Radeon 7970, (willing to rethink this as I might prefer buying two and linking them if it's better for performance)
- PSU - Whatever works best for the lowest price
- Motherboard - Haven't looked into this yet, thought I'd pick my processor first
- RAM - Minimum 8GB, ideally 16GB-32GB (all depends on brand and what the cost is. I can wait to upgrade to a higher amount, but 8GB to start minimum)
- Disc Drive (I'm more keen on biting the bullet and getting a Blu-ray/DVD RW combo, would love to use this rig as a media center and have the option for Blu-ray)
- HDD (SSD option if my budget allows for it, doesn't need to be huge though, I already own a 1TB external drive I'd use in addition)
- Monitors (going the dual route, need some suggestions here. Only one need be high-level, the other I'm going to have around for work to simply make life more awesome)
- K+M (suggestions?)
- OS (Windows 7 64-bit)
- Fans+Cooling (no idea where to start with this one)
- Case (no idea here either)
Now, I'm looking more toward performance but don't want to sacrifice features, so any pointers on exactly where I'm going to have to straddle the line? BTW, definitely looking for 1080p SLI settings. And what kind of sound card will I need if I've got headphones? One last thing: any issues arise if I want to use an HDTV with this rig?
Again, I still have no idea how to put it together and am dumb as can be on how these parts will work together. If you were in my shoes (those with way more experience at this), what kind of rig would you build?