Building a Gaming PC by Dec 2011

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 0

#1 jorjdboss
Member since 2008 • 239 Posts

I'm planning to build a PC with these specs by end of this year:

Mobo: ASUS P8P67 Pro

CPU: i5 2500K (Probably with the stock cooler as i wont overclock it soon)

Memory: G.Skills RipjawsX 2x2GB

Graphics: HD 6850 or Gtx 460

PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power 600W

Case: Cooler Master Elite 310 Transparent ATX Cabinet (I dont care much about this)

Extras: 120mm LED fans x2

MY BUDGET: about 900 USD. I could spare another 100 probably.

Note:

1. Please dont suggest waiting for the Bulldozer CPUs.

2. Between the two graphics cards, I saw several benchmarks showing that the 460 is slightly faster than 6850 in most games.

Please suggest any changes and reasons for them if you can.

DeX2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 DeX2010
Member since 2010 • 3989 Posts
Why don't you get the 560ti instead of the 460? On Newegg it is only $60 more than the 460 and much better.
yellonet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 yellonet
Member since 2004 • 7768 Posts

1. Please dont suggest waiting for the Bulldozer CPUs.jorjdboss
Why not? Bulldozer is set to be available before you will build this PC of yours.

2. Between the two graphics cards, I saw several benchmarks showing that the 460 is slightly faster than 6850 in most games.

Please suggest any changes and reasons for them if you can.jorjdboss
You really should get a currect generation GPU those are last gen GPU's that you've listed.

By the end of the year AMD might have released their 7xxx series and then the 6xxx cards should drop a bit in price making them more affordable.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
Considering bulldozer comes out in a month and you won't be building this PC until December, I find it puzzling why you don't want us to tell you to wait for Bulldozer. Not only that, but the HD7xxx series is most likely going to be released around the time you build your PC. Never try to pick out parts for a PC more than a month before you build. PC hardware changes so fast that you'll just have to redo all your research again if you started picking out parts more than a month beforehand. By December the hardware landscape is going to be much different than it is right now.
jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 jorjdboss

Why not? Bulldozer is set to be available before you will build this PC of yours.

yellonet

Sure it will but cant say anything about its prices and the motherboard's.

You really should get a current generation GPU those are last gen GPU's that you've listed.

By the end of the year AMD might have released their 7xxx series and then the 6xxx cards should drop a bit in price making them more affordable.

yellonet

That'll be nice. The 460 is last gen sure, but i just want a card to play games at normal resolutions. I'm not a enthusiast wanting to max out all current games on insane high resolutions. The reason why I listed it is because of price vs performance compared to HD 6850.

Anyway thanks for the reply and would you suggest under 200$ cards with similar performance

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#7 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

If you gonna be doing a scattered build up to december, just work on the easier things you can get on sale.. Case, dvd drive, psu and once everything is out.. start looking for best prices. Sorry to say it but definitely way till bulldozer. Even if you don't want bulldozer, price drops or even more great combo deal specials will be hitting if competition is really nice which will help you on price alot. With your budget, NO reason to get a GTX 460 or AMD 6850.. Modestly, I would be looking at a AMD 6870, GTX 560, GTX 560ti, AMD 6950..

jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jorjdboss
Why don't you get the 560ti instead of the 460? On Newegg it is only $60 more than the 460 and much better.DeX2010
I'm from India and I can only get it from ebay.in where the cheapest ones i found are EVGA GTX 460 at about 202 USD (9800 INR) and ZOTAC GTX 560 Ti at about 315 USD (14700 INR).
jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 jorjdboss
[QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Considering bulldozer comes out in a month and you won't be building this PC until December, I find it puzzling why you don't want us to tell you to wait for Bulldozer. Not only that, but the HD7xxx series is most likely going to be released around the time you build your PC. Never try to pick out parts for a PC more than a month before you build. PC hardware changes so fast that you'll just have to redo all your research again if you started picking out parts more than a month beforehand. By December the hardware landscape is going to be much different than it is right now.

Oh crap! All my research is gonna go wasted. Anyway i wouldn't mind even 6 months old hardware if it gets any cheaper, probably i'll save up and Sli or Xfire it
jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jorjdboss

If you gonna be doing a scattered build up to december, just work on the easier things you can get on sale.. Case, dvd drive, psu and once everything is out.. start looking for best prices. Sorry to say it but definitely way till bulldozer. Even if you don't want bulldozer, price drops or even more great combo deal specials will be hitting if competition is really nice which will help you on price alot. With your budget, NO reason to get a GTX 460 or AMD 6850.. Modestly, I would be looking at a AMD 6870, GTX 560, GTX 560ti, AMD 6950..

jedikevin2

You know what? You're right, I'll wait till bulldozer is out. Just to let you know why I cant afford better graphics card is coz prices in India for the same hardware is about 10% more pricey. A 900$ build in the US will cost about 1000$ converted from Indian currency. So as you said, I'll wait till december and see how much price can it cut on other hardware and get a better card. Thanks for your expert advice!

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

Considering bulldozer comes out in a month and you won't be building this PC until December, I find it puzzling why you don't want us to tell you to wait for Bulldozer. Not only that, but the HD7xxx series is most likely going to be released around the time you build your PC. Never try to pick out parts for a PC more than a month before you build. PC hardware changes so fast that you'll just have to redo all your research again if you started picking out parts more than a month beforehand. By December the hardware landscape is going to be much different than it is right now.gameguy6700

I second this.

gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
[QUOTE="jorjdboss"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Considering bulldozer comes out in a month and you won't be building this PC until December, I find it puzzling why you don't want us to tell you to wait for Bulldozer. Not only that, but the HD7xxx series is most likely going to be released around the time you build your PC. Never try to pick out parts for a PC more than a month before you build. PC hardware changes so fast that you'll just have to redo all your research again if you started picking out parts more than a month beforehand. By December the hardware landscape is going to be much different than it is right now.

Oh crap! All my research is gonna go wasted. Anyway i wouldn't mind even 6 months old hardware if it gets any cheaper, probably i'll save up and Sli or Xfire it

One single card is always better than two cards when the power of the setup is equal. Also, keep in mind that the HD7xxx line is not going to be a typical new generation of GPUs. It's going to be a completely new architecture so it's definitely worth waiting for if you're not going to be building for another four months. Also, if you're thinking of buying up components bit by bit over the next four months, don't. Prices always go down, better components always get released, and by the time you can finally build you'll either have overpaid for everything or everything will be out-of-date. I would never recommend buying components unless you're buying every component you need within a week of each other.
Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16564 Posts

6850 is a great card, it only uses 1 pci-e connector and is more powerful than the 460 at stock. If you get another 6850 later then you got a card thats stronger than the 580.

oajlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 oajlu
Member since 2006 • 2652 Posts

come back on dec....it's too early to plannow if you want to build in on dec...

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Silicel1

[QUOTE="jorjdboss"][QUOTE="gameguy6700"]Considering bulldozer comes out in a month and you won't be building this PC until December, I find it puzzling why you don't want us to tell you to wait for Bulldozer. Not only that, but the HD7xxx series is most likely going to be released around the time you build your PC. Never try to pick out parts for a PC more than a month before you build. PC hardware changes so fast that you'll just have to redo all your research again if you started picking out parts more than a month beforehand. By December the hardware landscape is going to be much different than it is right now.gameguy6700

One single card is always better than two cards when the power of the setup is equal. Also, keep in mind that the HD7xxx line is not going to be a typical new generation of GPUs. It's going to be a completely new architecture so it's definitely worth waiting for if you're not going to be building for another four months. Also, if you're thinking of buying up components bit by bit over the next four months, don't. Prices always go down, better components always get released, and by the time you can finally build you'll either have overpaid for everything or everything will be out-of-date. I would never recommend buying components unless you're buying every component you need within a week of each other.

Well he can buy heatsinks fans or cases those prices generally dont drop.

jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 jorjdboss

6850 is a great card, it only uses 1 pci-e connector and is more powerful than the 460 at stock. If you get another 6850 later then you got a card thats stronger than the 580.

blaznwiipspman1
Like everybody else here said, I'll wait for the 7xxx series and check their prices by December and see if price vs performance is better. The price of 6850 and 6870 would have come down by then and i can probable even get a 6950 for about 200 USD.
jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jorjdboss

come back on dec....it's too early to plannow if you want to build in on dec...

oajlu

I'm sorry for hasting it, I'm new to building custom rigs. My current rig from Acer is very old, The only upgrade I ever did was the graphics card, once to 8600 gt in 2008 and now I own an HD 5670. I haven't Upgraded any other component. Its so true that hardware is changing so fast. I should probably create new thread in december, a week before I start purchasing. Thanks for the advice.

jorjdboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jorjdboss

Silicel1
What do you mean when you say buy heatsinks, fans or cases. And, do you mean the prices of the 6xxx cards won't drop by December? I don't plan on OCing the processor anytime soon. Fans are cheap and not worth mentioning. As far as the cabinet goes, i just want it to fit all the components(like long video cards) and nothing else matters.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Silicel1

[QUOTE="Silicel1"]

jorjdboss

What do you mean when you say buy heatsinks, fans or cases. And, do you mean the prices of the 6xxx cards won't drop by December? I don't plan on OCing the processor anytime soon. Fans are cheap and not worth mentioning. As far as the cabinet goes, i just want it to fit all the components(like long video cards) and nothing else matters.

I mean the prices of cases heatsinks generally dont drop, things like gpus and cpus tend to drop in price rather quickly, just sayin that you can buy things now that you might want and not have to worry about them, but also this way you can take advantage of sales for these parts and purchase them when they are cheaper.

swehunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 swehunt
Member since 2008 • 3637 Posts
1. Please dont suggest waiting for the Bulldozer CPUsjorjdboss
What do you mean.. ... :? In the end this year you'll have the full option to go with bulldozer, they will launch starting mid september.
gravitygamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gravitygamer
Member since 2010 • 948 Posts
[QUOTE="DeX2010"]Why don't you get the 560ti instead of the 460? On Newegg it is only $60 more than the 460 and much better.jorjdboss
I'm from India and I can only get it from ebay.in where the cheapest ones i found are EVGA GTX 460 at about 202 USD (9800 INR) and ZOTAC GTX 560 Ti at about 315 USD (14700 INR).

i bought a 6850 for 9k.....you will get a 560 for 12,000 and 6950 for 14,500-20,000k. there is one for 15k also. i suggest you get the 560ti at 15k in india?wer in india are you?