BSOD when ethernet cable is plugged in

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FILIPINOMAZTER
Member since 2008 • 1627 Posts

BSOD suddenly appears whenever my laptop detects that i have internet connection when i plugged in the ethernet cable and restarts, everything runs normal when i plug the ethernet cable.

flyingsnail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 flyingsnail
Member since 2009 • 793 Posts
Has it always done this or has it just started? If it has just started I would run a virus/malware check. Have you installed any new software / hardware recently?
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Has it always done this or has it just started? If it has just started I would run a virus/malware check. Have you installed any new software / hardware recently? flyingsnail

update your network card driver.

sasdx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sasdx
Member since 2008 • 279 Posts

I had this happend to me with my wireless card. I had to restore my laptop to a restore point 2 days old.

FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FILIPINOMAZTER
yes it just started, i ran a full scan but found nothing, and i tried to update its driver but it didnt do anything so i just rolled back
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FILIPINOMAZTER
ok so iirc this happened after i came back from trying to find a hotspot at a foodcourt, windows was unable to connect so i finished my food and went back home and when i plugged in the ethernet cable the bsod appeared on the bootup so i restarted it without plugging the cable and everything is like normal
expanded

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 expanded
Member since 2003 • 8430 Posts
disable the wireless device for now since you're trying to plug in directly. and test it from there
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FILIPINOMAZTER
disable the wireless device for now since you're trying to plug in directly. and test it from thereexpanded
it worked but what if i try to use the wifi? enable the wireless device and disable the network device?
freesafety13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freesafety13
Member since 2008 • 823 Posts
you could do that. check for drivers for your wireless card as well. why couldnt you connect wirelessly at the food court? did your laptop not see any wireless networks or did you not have the proper permissions to connect?
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FILIPINOMAZTER
you could do that. check for drivers for your wireless card as well. why couldnt you connect wirelessly at the food court? did your laptop not see any wireless networks or did you not have the proper permissions to connect?freesafety13
the net work was unsecured but windows was unable to connect, and maybe that crap network got some damaging thing on it thats why this happened
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FILIPINOMAZTER
im gonna try system restore but bitdefender seems to interrupt with it
FILIPINOMAZTER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FILIPINOMAZTER
i updated the wireless card driver and now it gets bsod when i try to plug in the cable even with the wireless card disabled and theres no way to roll back the driver
Try check your BIOS for something weird. I had a IBM PC in my company does that, it turns out, the mobo support network PC on/off. Meaning, the mobo allows remote restart/power on/power off to a PC. It is more of a business mobo. I didn't dig into it, but, the issue is resolved after I disabled network power feature.magicalclick
how do i do that
MaoTheChimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MaoTheChimp
Member since 2008 • 1727 Posts

Try check your BIOS for something weird. I had a IBM PC in my company does that, it turns out, the mobo support network PC on/off. Meaning, the mobo allows remote restart/power on/power off to a PC. It is more of a business mobo. I didn't dig into it, but, the issue is resolved after I disabled network power feature.magicalclick

Forgive me saying this, but flashing the BIOS seems like a last-ditch effort IMO, especially considering it can potentially brick the OP's motherboard. I suggest at least trying a few other alternatives before risking a BIOS flash, unless the OP is perfectly willing to pay for a replacement should his current mobo be damaged.

Pirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 Pirson
Member since 2006 • 297 Posts

[QUOTE="magicalclick"]Try check your BIOS for something weird. I had a IBM PC in my company does that, it turns out, the mobo support network PC on/off. Meaning, the mobo allows remote restart/power on/power off to a PC. It is more of a business mobo. I didn't dig into it, but, the issue is resolved after I disabled network power feature.MaoTheChimp

Forgive me saying this, but flashing the BIOS seems like a last-ditch effort IMO, especially considering it can potentially brick the OP's motherboard. I suggest at least trying a few other alternatives before risking a BIOS flash, unless the OP is perfectly willing to pay for a replacement should his current mobo be damaged.

I don't think he was implying that he should flash the BIOS. Just go into it and check the settings.