Bought a new GPU, it requires 8 pin connector but only has 6...

#1 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

The PSU I have is https://www.newegg.com/antec-true-power-trio-tp3-550-550w/p/N82E16817371002

As you can see it has 2x6 pins. Does this mean I need a new PSU?

Thanks

#2 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

Also, I was running a GTX 1060 before and required only 6 pins, but this one has 8...

#3 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

Apparently there are 2x6 to 1x8 connectors, are those safe?

#4 Edited by pyro1245 (5061 posts) -

Wow look at all that molex power.... wondering the age of said supply

link the connector you found.

I think the pin-out for GPU is just a bunch of 12V and ground (so a connector/converter may work).

Also the power for GPU are sometimes a 6+2 pin. Are there any stray 2-pin connectors?

Also what GPU?

#5 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

@pyro1245: Thanks for the quick reply. The card I will use it for is a gigabyte rx 580 8gb. I found this in amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/StarTech-com-PCIEX68ADAP-Express-6-Pin-Adapter/dp/B001TK3TJY

I am a click away from buying. I wanted to double check first.

#6 Posted by pyro1245 (5061 posts) -

@orrytur: Yeah that should work.

iirc a 6-pin power is 150W, plus the PCIe slot itself is an additional 75W. The card requires a total of 185W at max load. Just maybe don't try to overclock it.

Just curious: how old is the PSU? It's worth getting a better one that's 80+ Gold certified. PSU is one of those things that could take other components with it if it decides to go belly-up.

#7 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -

@pyro1245: I bought it in 2012, when I bought my ivy bridge rig. I have not overclocked anything on it. Would a psu fail due to its age?

#8 Posted by orrytur (1679 posts) -
@pyro1245 said:

iirc a 6-pin power is 150W, plus the PCIe slot itself is an additional 75W. The card requires a total of 185W at max load. Just maybe don't try to overclock it.

Just curious: how old is the PSU? It's worth getting a better one that's 80+ Gold certified. PSU is one of those things that could take other components with it if it decides to go belly-up.

What if I use 2x6 pin to 1x8 pin(instead of going with a single 6 pin to 8)? WIll that help?

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
#9 Posted by PfizersaurusRex (1239 posts) -

@orrytur said:
@pyro1245 said:

What if I use 2x6 pin to 1x8 pin(instead of going with a single 6 pin to 8)? WIll that help?

That's the only way to do it. The adapter may actually come with the graphics card. But your PSU is old and RX 580 draws a lot of power, so I think you should replace it soon. BTW why switch from 1060 to 580? They are pretty much equal.

#10 Posted by thehig1 (7303 posts) -

@orrytur: that PSU is actaully made by Seasonic, its annold PSU, from around 2007 that model of PSU was made from.

I would think about upgrading PSU sooner rarther than later, but it will run that 580 fine with the adapter.

#11 Posted by RyviusARC (5709 posts) -

@orrytur:

@orrytur said:
@pyro1245 said:

Age and overall usage can affect how efficient the power supply is.

But I don't think it means certain failure.

I bought a PSU from a member here that was from 2011 and it's a 1000W Corsair PSU and it's still running fine in my computer.

#12 Edited by mrbojangles25 (44045 posts) -

PSU's are one of those things that, if they break, they break early. I was running the same PSU before my current one since 2008, and only replaced it last year. Before that, I had one break on me within hours of using it haha.

Fortunately, good PSU's are not very expensive, though the cable wrangling is a pain in the ass. I recommend just getting a new one, and spending a bit more to get a good one with more power than you need for future-proofing. Shouldn't cost more than 70 USD (or less, if you think you only need 550 W or so).

Or you can buy an adapter if they make them.