Borderlands 2 officially announced

This topic is locked from further discussion.

herzalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 0

#1 herzalot
Member since 2007 • 977 Posts

After numerous rumors, 2K made an official announcement about Borderlands 2 and it's planned to be released next year.

Eurogamer:

"2K Games has announced Borderlands 2, due out on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 during the publisher's next fiscal year, which begins on 1st April 2012.

It features new characters, skills, environments, enemies, weapons and equipment and new, unexplored areas of Pandora.

"Combining invention and evolution, Borderlands 2 features all new characters, skills, environments, enemies, weapons and equipment, which come together in an ambitiously crafted story," reads the official blurb.

"Players will reveal secrets, and escalate mysteries of the Borderlands universe as they adventure across the unexplored new areas of Pandora."

The game will be unveiled at German show Gamescom this month. "

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts
Bought the first game on the Steam summer sale for $5. Definately got my money's worth investing well over 50hrs in it so far. So..I'm super excited for the sequel.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Things I want to see...

• more open environments with more exploration (yet keep the nice linear raid-sections)
  • better sounding/feeling weapons

They got the number and variety of weapons down, now they need to make them feel a bit better.

staticxtreme27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 staticxtreme27
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

Beast.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23946 Posts

What I want is

1. More Enemy Variety
  2. More Environment Variety
  3. Better Gunplay
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AR-15
Member since 2003 • 261 Posts

Borderlands is one of my favorite games of all time (and I've been gaming since the Atari 2600) so I'm very excited to see what they do with Borderlands 2.

I usually never purchase games for full price, but I might have to make an exception with Borderlands 2.

SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
good news.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Well... I know 1 thing for sure: Randy Pitchford overhyping this game = it's a failwhale.
guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

I hope the protagonists from the first game is playable

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts
[QUOTE="trastamad03"]Well... I know 1 thing for sure: Randy Pitchford overhyping this game = it's a failwhale.

What makes you think that? The first game was absolutely fantastic
Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

User Lists: 1

#11 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

WHY do they have to make a sequel for everything that is successful!? Borderlands should be left as a lone game that was great and should never have a sequel made for it.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Day 1 purchase for me!

Evz0rz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Evz0rz
Member since 2006 • 4624 Posts

WHY do they have to make a sequel for everything that is successful!? Borderlands should be left as a lone game that was great and should never have a sequel made for it.

realguitarhero5

Because people want more of it? I played through everything the first borderlands offered me and I want to play more borderlands so what's the problem?

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23946 Posts

realguitarhero5

Because as good Borderlands was, it had a lot of flaws, a sequel or spiritual successor wouild be a great way to iron out those flaws.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#15 deactivated-5e7f8a21de9dd
Member since 2008 • 4403 Posts

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]

Evz0rz

Because people want more of it? I played through everything the first borderlands offered me and I want to play more borderlands so what's the problem?

I feel like Borderlands should not have a sequel. It has fallen into a sequel trap like many a game. It had no overarching storyline like Halo or Mass Effect, and they will keep making sequels until it stops making money. I feel like it should stay sequel-less and fantastic in a world of sequels.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
[QUOTE="Evz0rz"][QUOTE="trastamad03"]Well... I know 1 thing for sure: Randy Pitchford overhyping this game = it's a failwhale.

What makes you think that? The first game was absolutely fantastic

I know BL1 was great, I love it. But with DNF, you saw what happened... he over-hyped the game so much and it turned out crap. Now I know it's not Gearbox' fault for DNF fail, but still. I'm looking forward for BL2. Hope they just hype it and not over-hype it.
Grimlim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grimlim
Member since 2011 • 230 Posts

I want more rpg elements. Especially active skills.

The biggest thing they need to keep is the interesting characters. B1 was fantastic in this regard.

JKnaperek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JKnaperek
Member since 2006 • 2023 Posts

realguitarhero5
Too bad that statement carries with it, little merit. I can think of hundreds of games with sequels that far surpassed the originals. Borderlands, while good, is not great and definately could use some improvements. I'd like to see a more fleshed out skill tree for example and more of an RPG feel when leveling up. Some of the perks were useless.
Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#19 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
This time i want a story that is not laughable.
Drumlegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Drumlegend
Member since 2011 • 87 Posts
I just hope they port it to the pc better than they dd the first time. That game was buggy as hell. But one of my favorite games! More Weapons! Better Car Physics More Big ass Bosses!
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#21 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

They need to make the world more vibrant with more things going on. It felt way to empty.

r4v3gl0ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#22 r4v3gl0ry
Member since 2006 • 1285 Posts

[QUOTE="Evz0rz"]

[QUOTE="realguitarhero5"]

realguitarhero5

I feel like Borderlands should not have a sequel. It has fallen into a sequel trap like many a game. It had no overarching storyline like Halo or Mass Effect, and they will keep making sequels until it stops making money. I feel like it should stay sequel-less and fantastic in a world of sequels.

Well there's a lot that can be improved upon. Balancing characters, balancing the duel/pvp system, and expanding upon its basic RPG features for a start...Plus, it's not like the game wasn't designed to have a sequel. Yeah, it has no overarching storyline,andfor an RPG-shooter hybrid it feels like Diablo. A lot of people simply expect more good co-op fun. If anything, that's only more of an excuse to release a sequel with mostly gameplay improvements.

herzalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#23 herzalot
Member since 2007 • 977 Posts

Here's the Game Informer's cover:

AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 AR-15

I just hope they port it to the pc better than they dd the first time. That game was buggy as hell.Drumlegend

Really? Was the game buggy at launch and then fixed a few months down the road?

I ask that because I never experienced any bugs or issues with the game in the 50+ hours that I played it, but I didn't purchase the game until a few months after it was released, so I can't speak for the game's early days.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

Loved Borderlands, but the need:

1. Harder bosses (they were usually the easiest part, especially the really big hive)
  2. Armor/accessories (something other than weapons. More items to equip means more loot to find, meaning more customization and lasting appeal)
  3. Better loot system (have one more like Diablo II. SOmething where uniques are recongizable and noticeable, along with other tiers and crafting and such)
  4. Make loot appear on your character.
  5. More diverse environments (although they were not awful)
  6. More skills or an extra customization option similar to it, with way more action based skills (having one special move is lame)
  7. Better ending (it was the worst part of the game)

Basically it was an awesome game, and I maxed three of the four characters with a buddy, but now i just dont have any interest. I want that addiction and level of customization seen in Diablo II. The gunplay was fun.

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#26 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts

I'm pretty much agreeing with a lot of people here, but I figured I'd at least state what I'd like to see in BL2.

• Improved gun play - They all felt nearly the same, with the exception of the "alien" guns.
  • Improved character development - Your character never spoke, that's a little stupid for a 2009 title. Your back story would get completely lost.
  • More open ended and populated environment - While I enjoyed the art style, a lot of Pandora felt too dead, not like a desolate planet, too dead.
  • Improved story telling - Yea, anyone that beat the game knows what I'm talking about. Kind of a huge let down.
  • Actually have a skill tree - Having one special move and spending time upgrading nigh worthless passive skills didn't do much for the character, if they improved on that enough to where you actually had a psuedo-RPG element to the game, that would have been incredible.
  • More vehicles - This wasn't a huge issue, but you did spend a lot of time in the car, and having more than 2 would be kinda nice.

That's all I can really think of off the top of my head, I know it's a lot and fairly major parts to the game, but with your first two playthroughs, you don't really notice them all too much, at least I didn't. BL can be a great franchise, it just needs the proper attention and innovation to really go somewhere.

[QUOTE="Drumlegend"]I just hope they port it to the pc better than they dd the first time. That game was buggy as hell.AR-15

Really? Was the game buggy at launch and then fixed a few months down the road?

I ask that because I never experienced any bugs or issues with the game in the 50+ hours that I played it, but I didn't purchase the game until a few months after it was released, so I can't speak for the game's early days.

I personally never have many issues with anything other than the matchmaking. It was difficult to get myself set up to be a host.

ssvegeta555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ssvegeta555
Member since 2003 • 2448 Posts
I can't wait! *drools*
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I want to see more detailed environments.. gun variations.. instead of the same gun, a bit different stats and re-skinned. More unique and different guns! Perhaps even other kinds of weapons that compliment Borderlands gameplay st.yle.

realguitarhero5
Wow.. I see where you're coming from and there are so many games I could name that should never get a sequel and should die a classic, BUT NOT THIS ONE. Borderlands is far from a classic but it's one hell of a game; designed for co-op play where you could replay to death.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Borderlands is one of my favorites have over 300hrs on that game.

For borderlands 2 i wish for less cartoon graphics and random rare bosses.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Sleepyz
And tougher enemies. Like how you have the little sprites or weaker common enemies, I want to see like a mini-boss or a "stronger" enemy type but not necessarily a boss.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#31 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Sleepyz

Too late for that...

GeneralShowzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 GeneralShowzer
Member since 2010 • 11598 Posts

They need to make the world more vibrant with more things going on. It felt way to empty.

kozzy1234
Agreed. It also had zero atmosphere and very repetitive enemies and environments, and almost no soundtrack. They really need to work on that now that Borderlands sold a lot and they can put more money in the sequel.
flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

WHY do they have to make a $equel for everything that i$$ucce$$ful!? Borderland$$hould be left a$ a lone game that wa$ great and $hould never have a $equel made for it.

realguitarhero5

Hard to say. :P

I would definitely buy it. I loved the first one.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

The game was pretty fun though the Co-op was fairly broken. Drop out just before your friends finish a quest then you can't finish it or complete any other QUEST EVERRRRR when you come back. Definitely would like to see more environments, forests and snow would be nice instead of infinite deserts.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#35 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
I didn't like the original, after making it to level 22 (I think) I just gave up. Co-op or single player the game was very unappealling. I think part of that is because of the silly atmosphere but also because the quests felt pointless, the AI was absolutely stupid, the respawning of enemies (in the exact same spots) really annoyed me. They would need to fix a lot of those things to get me interested again.
BLaZe462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BLaZe462
Member since 2002 • 1432 Posts

I just hope they port it to the pc better than they dd the first time. That game was buggy as hell. But one of my favorite games! More Weapons! Better Car Physics More Big ass Bosses!Drumlegend

this is my concern as well

DasBeerBoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DasBeerBoot
Member since 2011 • 261 Posts
Will be an exciting game, but i think i'm not gonna buy it. Soloing the campaign got very boring after quite a while
Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts
I love the game... I'm addicted. The best light RPG shooter looting game ever in my opinion. I'd like to see more enemies and vehicle customization. There's so much they can do with this sequel and I hope they do. I'm very excited in fact all this talk is giving me the itch to go back to it.
illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#39 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts
Soild game that needs a little work on its quest design, reliance on instancing and poor loot sharing. Maybe work on the writing, at least make it funny if you have a narrative that poor and thin. Yes, the sound design and gun feedback was pretty poor too. Improve PvP by having seperate skill balances as opposed to the co-op, I can see room for some fun arena shooting. Oh FFS, use steamworks this time. Hope they improve upon these in the sequel, because I'd like to see it's potential really shine through.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17847 Posts
kewl. i enjoyed borderlands 1 in co-op. a few improvements i would like to see: 57 bagillion armor consisting of helmets, kevlar, boots and gloves amybe. basically i want to be able to change my characters appearance and have plenty of scope to do so. it also makes the RPG side of it more interesting with good variety in armor also. maybe have the armor moddable also (like the gem system in D2). add jetacks. jetpacks are also good. a bagillion of those will be enough :P. maybe have different types...from the burst jetpacks like mario sunshine to one thats slower to take off but can keep you in the air for longer like giants citizen kabuto. more quest variety. maybe some hovercraft also....with missiles and miniguns.
Sleepyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sleepyz
Member since 2003 • 3805 Posts

Few more improvements. Let us skip the cut scenes, gets really annoying. No exp for achievements it makes you out level the quests. Armor not just bizillion guns. Rare random bosses. And things to collect.

Also wanted more realistic graphics but looks like its same old cartoon stuff. Not big fan of graphics but loved Borderlands anyway.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Looking forward to it. Bought a second copy during the Steam sale (with the expansions) and it pretty much rekindled what I liked about the game. Great feedback, interesting enough weapon variety, good dungeon design and a great variety of enemies - as well as enough loot to pull you along. And a solid sense of style to bring all of it to life. The Zombie Island dlc has been a bit of a slog though, I have to admit, and hopefully the sequel will be less console port centric on release, and not feature broken multipayer.
AR-15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 AR-15

Also wanted more realistic graphics but looks like its same old cartoon stuff. Not big fan of graphics but loved Borderlands anyway.

Sleepyz

I remember way back when they announced that they were going to change the first Borderlands into a cel-shaded game (well into the game's development, no less) and the amount of controversy that it caused.

I was one of the people that felt it was the wrong direction to take the game, but once I actually saw it running maxed out @ 1920x1080 on my 50" Samsung plasma I was like :D

To me, a huge part of what makes Borderlands so special is its unique look, and I would be very sad to see that change.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Borderlands 1 was the biggest suprise this gen for me it was addictive and fun sleep hit of these past few years no doubt about it.. I hope they can take what was so great about the first one and make it better.. I am some what cautious in my hopes on this.. All too often it seems like devs absolutely screw the formula up, whether its to simplify it or cut down things.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts

[QUOTE="Sleepyz"]

AR-15

I remember way back when they announced that they were going to change the first Borderlands into a cel-shaded game (well into the game's development, no less) and the amount of controversy that it caused.

I was one of the people that felt it was the wrong direction to take the game, but once I actually saw it running maxed out @ 1920x1080 on my 50" Samsung plasma I was like :D

To me, a huge part of what makes Borderlands so special is its unique look, and I would be very sad to see that change.

Actually they took a huge amount of influence in their art direction from the short animation called Codehunters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmeP1YkaeTo It's easy to point out the artypes and things right down the pallet, rendering and texture style (even the Bus introduction in Borderlands is a homage to it). Kind of killed my enthusiasm for what I perceived as it being unique, but the change certainly was for the best, and was well done in its own right.
rabakill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 rabakill
Member since 2004 • 884 Posts
They need to make the questy areas bigger and the mainworld areas less annoying to get around, maybe take it out of the desert too.