Bluetooth Headset for PC Gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 BigGimp77
Member since 2006 • 532 Posts

Has anyone ever atempted this? Is it possible? Has anyone attempted it?

I want a mic but not really a headset. I like using my computer speakers rather then through earphones. I would also like something wireless (something like a Bluetooth headset).

I know there are USB Bluetooth recievers you can get. but do they pick up Bluetooth headsets, and will windows allow you to configure it for games and things like vent?

Avatar image for saberswordsmen1
saberswordsmen1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 saberswordsmen1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Firstly, in short, yes it will work.

Here's what I used: A Cirago BTA-3210 bluetooth dongle for my laptop ($20 at newegg), and a Motorla H350 headset (I wanted a cheap deal, especially since I wasn't sure if this would work. eCost $20 after shipping). I'm also running Vista and using the Toshiba Bluetooth drivers (I don't think either matters).

Now, I originally got my headset to pair immediatley, but it wouldn't work as a headset (i.e. no music or anything would go through the headset ot anything), I could only get it to work with Skype. I found my issue was because I was pairing it in "Express Mode" (on my laptop) which chooses the fastest way to get you set up. Don't do that. Use Custom Mode. When it gets to the point to choose what kind of device you'd like to set it up as, you should get two options: Handsfree Device, or Headset. Choose Headset. I'm assuming Express mode sets it as handsfreewhich is really only proper for cell phones or VoIP programs.

Headset should (at least for me) caused to act, 100% like a regular headset. If you had a mind to, you could play any sound through the headset, just as if you plugged in a standard headset. Now, incoming sound, because of the samll speaker, is rather poor for gaming, so I recommend (as you say you want to) setting your speakers to your standard speakers, and just leaving your recording device on the bluetooth headset (which, you may need to do after you set it up anyways. Simply do this in Windows Control Panel, or if running vista right-click the speaker icon in the corner and select either recording devices or playback devices).

I tested the device playing Day of Defeat: Source, and everyone said they could hear me fine (though some ventrilo users said they needed to really jack up their sound on me in order to hear me well).

If you have ANY other questions, I'm by no means an expert, but I might be able to help. I could find almost no help on Google and had to figure this out myself, so I hope this will pop up on some Google queries.

I have no idea if this will work with all bluetooth adapters, and it may well not work on all bluetooth headsets, but I'm using it on mine now! :D

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BigGimp77

Yea that's essentially what I wanted to do. Have the sound coming out of my speakers and just use the headset as a mic.I just want a wireless mic and just gettin the USB is really cheap becaude I have a BlueTooth already.

I was looking at that same BlueTooth reciever when doing research. It seems most of the USB BlueTooth recievers have the same specs.

I was just worried that Windows wouldn't be able to configure the BlueTooth headset like you did. You did basically exactly what I want to do. All the reviews I read on NewEgg seemed that the USB's are only used for networking and phones.

It's only 20 bucks and I already have a few different Headsets layin around so hopefully one of them is compatible. Thanks for your help.

I'm surprised more people havent tried this.

r3351925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 r3351925
Member since 2006 • 1728 Posts
Hasnt anyone heard about wirless headsets? geez lol maybe the price helps you guys forget :P
Avatar image for saberswordsmen1
saberswordsmen1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 saberswordsmen1
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Hasnt anyone heard about wirless headsets? geez lol maybe the price helps you guys forget :P r3351925

Yeah, plus with one of these, you can use it for your cell phone too (and it's nice having the dongle for use with other bluetooth crap) :D. And, I kinda just wanted to see if I could do it, because everyone said they thought I couldn't :p.

Also, kinda a weird note.... I was trying to figure this crap out on the EXACT same day you posted this question.... I found this on google trying to find answers! lol... weird.

BigGimp77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 BigGimp77

Hasnt anyone heard about wirless headsets? geez lol maybe the price helps you guys forget :P r3351925

Most Wireless headsets on NewEgg (Not sure of another good site to buy them) are around 80 bucks. Plus they have big bulky head phones. I kinda just want a wireless mic that's essentially designed like a Bluetooth Headset.

I don't like gaming with a pair of headphones on. Kinda makes my nice speakers obsolete.