Blocking Bad RAM sectors.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nestea_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nestea_king
Member since 2004 • 5652 Posts

Hey everyone,

I just ran memtest 86+, and one of my RAM sticks (I know which one it is) has errors on it. I also cannot exchange this RAM for a new one.

I was wondering if it is possible to somehow block out the bad sectors of the RAM so that only the good ones are used. Does anyone know if it is possible? If it's not it sure sounds like a fantastic idea for programmers to pursue doesn't it?

EDIT: I could return it if someone knows a way of how to exchange Patriot RAM without the reciept of my purchase...I went on the Patriot site and it says I need the invoice number, which I assume is on the reciept from when I bought it at Canada Computers. I bought the RAM around July 5th, 2008 and it just started having problems yesterday night. Since I had no problems with it for a while and ran some other tests on it (not memtest 86+) and found no errors I just threw out the reciept about 3 weeks ago. No use keeping things I don't need right? Apparently I need it now though, unless the invoice number is on the actual RAM or something...

Avatar image for MOSSBERG_E-Rock
MOSSBERG_E-Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 MOSSBERG_E-Rock
Member since 2004 • 3049 Posts
interesting. couldn't help you with the technical aspects right now but it sounds feasable.
nestea_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nestea_king
I think so too, but I don't know if anything can actually do that. It is possible with hard drives is it not? I realize that HDD and RAM are very different, but I still think it is possible.
nestea_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nestea_king
No one knows of a program that can do this? With a common problem like faulty RAM I would think a program like this would be more widespread...
nestea_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nestea_king
Bump...
nestea_king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points