Blizzard talks about Auction House Gamer Reception....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gc-11-diablo-iii/719744

You can watch the whole thing but the discussion about the Auction House starts at 3:30.

I don't like when real money is involved with gamening, but I understand their point of view.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Didn't watch because I'm not bothered, there's a reason for doing it (no mindless haters, not because they want to "cash in"), I actually liked the preview on the new eu.battle.net/d3, looks similar to WoW's AH.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FelipeInside
Didn't watch because I'm not bothered, there's a reason for doing it (no mindless haters, not because they want to "cash in"), I actually liked the preview on the new eu.battle.net/d3, looks similar to WoW's AH.DanielDust
Well since you are being lazy today :) They basically said that in Diablo 2 there was a lot of real money item transactions going on, they (Blizz) just weren't allowing it. As a result lots of accounts got hacked, banned, cheaters etc etc. So it was only natural to them to offer this service in a controlled, safe environment and authorized by them this time around.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Yep that's the reason(s) :P that's why I didn't watch it, it's common sense, no point on Blizz wasting their breaths on this, they should announce more stuff.
Filthybastrd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Filthybastrd
Member since 2009 • 7124 Posts

What's their excuse for not implementing offline characters that can't be brought online then?

All the code is in place so it's anything but added devtime/costs. It's not like there's a security risk, considering they're keeping things serverside anyway....

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

To be perfectly honest!

Diablo 3 is probably my most anticipated title coming, on any platform! Damn near everything I hear or read about it lately just makes me that much more excited.. The game looks good, I am sure they will polish it a bit more before release.. I expect it to run flawlessly!

I loved Diablo 1 and 2. (actually I loved Diablo 1 a little more than 2 because it seemed a little darker and scarier, but 2 was fantastic)

I would love a Diablo 3 2011 release date, but I would much rather have it actually finished!

Sure there are several other titles I am looking forward to, various platforms, but Diablo III is at the very top. (one of my favorite things of Diablo is the music, Matt Uelmen* did the composing for Diablo 1 and 2, but not for 3, though I still have high hopes for Diablo III's music)

side note* Matt Uelmen is with Runic Games now, did the music for Torchlight, and is more than likely composing the music for the sequel. (which is another game I am interested in, but in the genre, Diablo trumphs Torchlight for my interest)

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

To be perfectly honest!

Diablo 3 is probably my most anticipated title coming, on any platform! Damn near everything I hear or read about it lately just makes me that much more excited.. The game looks good, I am sure they will polish it a bit more before release.. I expect it to run flawlessly!

I loved Diablo 1 and 2. (actually I loved Diablo 1 a little more than 2 because it seemed a little darker and scarier, but 2 was fantastic)

I would love a Diablo 3 2011 release date, but I would much rather have it actually finished!

Sure there are several other titles I am looking forward to, various platforms, but Diablo III is at the very top. (one of my favorite things of Diablo is the music, Matt Uelmen* did the composing for Diablo 1 and 2, but not for 3, though I still have high hopes for Diablo III's music)

side note* Matt Uelmen is with Runic Games now, did the music for Torchlight, and is more than likely composing the music for the sequel. (which is another game I am interested in, but in the genre, Diablo trumphs Torchlight for my interest)

Lach0121

I've been waiting a decade and will be playing at 12:01 am on the release day.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Completely QFT, people who dislikes this system either misunderstood how it works or does not know Diablo games at all.

Discovering there are people that actually believe Diablo's SP is anything worthy of mention came as a thunder in clear sky for me. Seems the game director himself confirmed that now, wish those D3 threads were still up so haters' bad mouths could've been soaped for good ;)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#9 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11785 Posts

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

To be perfectly honest!

Cwagmire21

As have I lol.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
I honestly think the majority of the complaints are ridiculous.. RMAH crying doesn't make sense.. We had rampant hacks and rm ah trading for Diablo 2.. They say it will kill competitive nature of the game.. Diablo 2 was never competitive.. The pvp is extremely shallow and the people that claimed otherwise did it with numerous "rules" to some how make it competitive.. The point is, there has never been any real tournament and it has never been considered a esport PERIOD.. Its strictly a PVM game mainly where your progression is number 1.. If people were crying this much about it, where the hell was the crying about Diablo 2? Even looking past the real money stuff, the game was based upon LUCK AKA Randomly generated numbers which is a DIRTY word in anything coming close to competitive.. As for online.. This was the next logical step, the updates and support Blizzard gave was directed towards the multiplayer.. The Singleplayer was basically a barebones version to what the multiplayer offered more or less.. How would this be any different from releasing a extremely demanding game? Something that narrows down the player base far more then a internet connection.. Yet I rarely if ever hear such complaints.. I don't get it honestly... Where was the outrage for Guild Wars which Diablo 3 is more or less being designed around offering the same type of experience more or less..

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

To be perfectly honest!

Cwagmire21

Not sure I will do that.. I am always skeptical of games upon there release, and always wait for reviews.. Both official and player reviews before I make my decision..

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DanielDust

What's their excuse for not implementing offline characters that can't be brought online then?

All the code is in place so it's anything but added devtime/costs. It's not like there's a security risk, considering they're keeping things serverside anyway....

Filthybastrd

They eliminate complaints entirely, be sure that if they'd do such a thing some will complain they can't use their carefully crafted character online, then they'd have more problems to take care of, then the whole system would crash and end up just like Diablo 2 because of this "simple" thing, offline characters.

Multiplayer is where the real fun is at, nobody that cares enough after completing the singleplayer would just make a new hero and start from scratch in multiplayer after investing tenths maybe hundreds of hours on their initial hero without whining a little...more.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

DanielDust

They eliminate complaints entirely, be sure that if they'd do such a thing some will complain they can't use their carefully crafted character online, then they'd have more problems to take care of, then the whole system would crash and end up just like Diablo 2 because of this "simple" thing, offline characters.

Multiplayer is where the real fun is at, nobody that cares enough after completing the singleplayer would just make a new hero and start from scratch in multiplayer after investing tenths maybe hundreds of hours on their initial hero without whining a little...more.

Furthermore we really can use this logic for any game out there thats multiplayer.. Why does Guild Wars not have a offline singleplayer mode? You can do the 95% of the game campaigns with bots/npc characters on your team.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
The existence of an in-game auction house seems pretty reasonable to me. What's not reasonable is that they are going to make money off of every transaction. It makes me think that they were thinking more along the lines of, "how can we make the most amount of money possible" rather than "how can we solve the item trading problem." There's lots of good things about Diablo 3, but unless they add an offline single player mode, I'll have to skip it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

[QUOTE="Filthybastrd"]

sSubZerOo

Furthermore we really can use this logic for any game out there thats multiplayer.. Why does Guild Wars not have a offline singleplayer mode? You can do the 95% of the game campaigns with bots/npc characters on your team.

The best game for eliminating customer problems would be paper rock scissors. Fortunately, most gamers want something more complex than that.

The point about people not being able to use their single player character online could be completely solved by having a giant ass sign in character creation that you can't use single player characters online. It's a pretty poor point.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="DanielDust"] They eliminate complaints entirely, be sure that if they'd do such a thing some will complain they can't use their carefully crafted character online, then they'd have more problems to take care of, then the whole system would crash and end up just like Diablo 2 because of this "simple" thing, offline characters.

guynamedbilly

The best game for eliminating customer problems would be paper rock scissors. Fortunately, most gamers want something more complex than that.

The point about people not being able to use their single player character online could be completely solved by having a giant ass sign in character creation that you can't use single player characters online. It's a pretty poor point.

Or they don't want to waste resources in trying to make the multiplayer game into the singleplayer game? Because they feel that multiplayer is what the Diablo series is about, hence why waste the resources in trying to port over something like that to the singleplayer when better time and money can be spent for a multiplayer feature?.. Diablo 2 was basically a poorly ported over version of the multiplayer.. In which you never saw half the items the game has due to not being able to trade which was usually always the way you can get the things youw ant, and half the battle..

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 DanielDust
It happened with Diablo till now, it's a flawed method, that's why it had offline/online characters that wouldn't be ranked online, if they'd implement all that into Diablo 3, they will once again open the game for hacks, dupes, etc. It's not a solution, it's the fatal flaw. They'll probably lose a few customers, like you, but it's the only way to completely control the game, just like WoW.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

It happened with Diablo till now, it's a flawed method, that's why it had offline/online characters that wouldn't be ranked online, if they'd implement all that into Diablo 3, they will once again open the game for hacks, dupes, etc. It's not a solution, it's the fatal flaw. They'll probably lose a few customers, like you, but it's the only way to completely control the game, just like WoW.DanielDust
It's a flaw that allows significant advantages that I can't understand people not wanting. It's probably true that the amount of people that won't buy it because of the change is miniscule.

I just can't understand people, specifically pc gamers, being ok with mods, flexibility, and the general freedom of pc gaming going away; especially when it's such a prominent pc games developer that's doing it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FelipeInside

Completely QFT, people who dislikes this system either misunderstood how it works or does not know Diablo games at all.

Discovering there are people that actually believe Diablo's SP is anything worthy of mention came as a thunder in clear sky for me. Seems the game director himself confirmed that now, wish those D3 threads were still up so haters' bad mouths could've been soaped for good ;)

N30F3N1X

I really don't know why... I loved Diablo 1 + 2 SP Campaign.... I had no internet back then so that's all I know.

I will buy Diablo 3 for the SP and story.... (I might go online)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]It happened with Diablo till now, it's a flawed method, that's why it had offline/online characters that wouldn't be ranked online, if they'd implement all that into Diablo 3, they will once again open the game for hacks, dupes, etc. It's not a solution, it's the fatal flaw. They'll probably lose a few customers, like you, but it's the only way to completely control the game, just like WoW.guynamedbilly

It's a flaw that allows significant advantages that I can't understand people not wanting. It's probably true that the amount of people that won't buy it because of the change is miniscule.

I just can't understand people, specifically pc gamers, being ok with mods, flexibility, and the general freedom of pc gaming going away; especially when it's such a prominent pc games developer that's doing it.

Except Blizzard games have never been known for mods.. EVER.. The closest things to mods when it comes to blizzard games with popularity are the User map settings maps in games like Warcraft/Starcraft.. Or the UI addons for WoW.. Maybe if this were something like Half-Life, Half-Life 2, Unreal Tournament, etc etc.. Games actually KNOWN for their huge mod communities where there are thousands of players playing unique mods together online and offline.. I would agree.. But to this day I have never ever seen a large mod movement outside of user made maps in Starcraft/Warcraft..

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DanielDust
There's no advantages, people will want to play online, those that really, really, REALLY want to prove a pint and play singleplayer will want to use those characters online, not all but some will one, then Blizz will have to make it possible, characters will be edited by hackers like in most games, items will be spawned out of nowhere, then they'll go online with unfair advantages or even abuse the auction house on real $. The only advantage is for people that want to play singleplayer offline, I don't agree with subzero, Diablo is a superb singleplayer game, but I am not bothered by lack of internet (other than the usual internet instability) just like many others, even if I'd be, for a game that was hacked to death and profited from that hacking, I prefer not to be able to play offline knowing that the gaming environment is perfect (seeing a few people with end gear from the AH is nothing compared to seeing every peasant in golden shiny armor).
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts
Didn't watch because I'm not bothered, there's a reason for doing it (no mindless haters, not because they want to "cash in"), I actually liked the preview on the new eu.battle.net/d3, looks similar to WoW's AH.DanielDust
I agree. Theres reasoning for me and they're bringing us a quality game. They arent pulling douche moves like Ubi *coughFromDustcough*. Theres a difference.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Didn't watch because I'm not bothered, there's a reason for doing it (no mindless haters, not because they want to "cash in"), I actually liked the preview on the new eu.battle.net/d3, looks similar to WoW's AH.Gamesterpheonix
I agree. Theres reasoning for me and they're bringing us a quality game. They arent pulling douche moves like Ubi *coughFromDustcough*. Theres a difference.

I told time again and again.... don't play around with dust cause you start couging.... :P

sinpkr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 sinpkr
Member since 2010 • 1255 Posts

i have no problems with the auction house all i have a problem with is the always online drm that they have.