Blizzard Cinematic Department.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Ravenchrome
Member since 2010 • 1776 Posts

So I found out that Blizzard has its own CGI department.

Some of the guys there have worked on Hollywood movies before moving to Blizzard.

No wonder Blizzard CGs are comparable to the visual effects used in big budget films.

1) Note that Blizzard prefers key-framed animation than motion capture.

2) Yes, all the cinematics in Sc2,WoW,Wc3 are mostly done without motion capture.

3) Motion Capture is faster but according to PIXAR and some Blizzard CG guys, it's not allowing the animators to really show their talents.

4) The animators at Blizzard are so good that their animations are better than most motion-captured sequences.

5) Visually, their cinematics are the best in the industry (games). Yes FF XIII CGs can't compete with Lich King CG(2008) in terms of graphics. Let alone the Upcoming Cataclysm CG. Just compare the texture, details, polygons of FF XIII CG to any recent Blizzard CG.

6) Deathwing will be as big as a city in the CG. (David Loung-Blizzard VFX compositor/one of)

kdawg88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 kdawg88
Member since 2009 • 2923 Posts
Some interesting facts, although I did assume they had their own cinematics dept.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#3 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Imho, Blizzard is one of the best, if not the best in the cinematic department. Although few and far, when we do get a chance to view a trailer from Blizzard, it always blows my mind.
spittis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 spittis
Member since 2005 • 1875 Posts

Yes Blizzards cinematics are amazing! I mean look at what they did 10 years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxFyFJfHiBk

The Diablo and Warcraft cinematics were incredible back then, and although some other developers make good cinematics nowadays, I don't think they compare to Blizzards. It's not just about how pretty it looks, it's the sounds and atmosphere aswell.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Yes Blizzards cinematics are amazing! I mean look at what they did 10 years ago http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxFyFJfHiBk

The Diablo and Warcraft cinematics were incredible back then, and although some other developers make good cinematics nowadays, I don't think they compare to Blizzards. It's not just about how pretty it looks, it's the sounds and atmosphere aswell.

spittis
Agreed. The Zeratul cutscenes in Starcraft 2 gave me goosebumps all over!
Avatar image for deactivated-61d91d42c39df
deactivated-61d91d42c39df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#6 deactivated-61d91d42c39df
Member since 2002 • 2741 Posts

it's funny because they've always had exceptional cgi in their games but the actual ingame engines weren't that great. more or less because their games have that cartoony style and they seem more interested in making graphics for games that run on the majority of systems.

the sys. req. for blizz games are always pretty low.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

The Blizzard cinematic department is one of the finest in the world, along with Blur Studios, DIGIC, Robot (Capcom) and the one from Square-Enix (the old Square Pictures studio).

Definitively is much better than the CG department from Namco or Team Ninja, but I think that Blizzard top their summit at the Wrath Of The Lich King intro; I was far more amazed by the Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer from Square -Enix than by any Starcraft II cinematic. Blur and DIGIC are also amazing (DoW and Mark Of Chaos). So are amazing? Yes. In the top 5? Yes. The best of the best? Not for me, currently.

I must also add that the Diablo III cinematic was weak: good technical level, but in terms of music and atmosphere failed to give chills.

Urworstnhtmare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Urworstnhtmare
Member since 2008 • 2630 Posts

it's funny because they've always had exceptional cgi in their games but the actual ingame engines weren't that great. more or less because their games have that cartoony style and they seem more interested in making graphics for games that run on the majority of systems.

Deano

Well you can't argue with their stratergy. They sell millions of copies of their games, while Crysis didn't sell that much, because many people couldn't run it...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fae21e61a964
deactivated-5fae21e61a964

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5fae21e61a964
Member since 2005 • 765 Posts

[QUOTE="Deano"]

Urworstnhtmare

Well you can't argue with their stratergy. They sell millions of copies of their games, while Crysis didn't sell that much, because many people couldn't run it...

I'm sure quite a few folks could run Crysis, but not at high settings. This causes them to say they can't run it even though they haven't tried low or medium. :|

But it's an entusiast/benchmark game, you can't really compare it to a program designed for low-end computers in mind.

soliderPp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 soliderPp
Member since 2004 • 1991 Posts

5) Visually, their cinematics are the best in the industry (games). Yes FF XIII CGs can't compete with Lich King CG(2008) in terms of graphics. Let alone the Upcoming Cataclysm CG. Just compare the texture, details, polygons of FF XIII CG to any recent Blizzard CG.

Ravenchrome

I'd completely agree with you five years ago. In the last couple of years there have been some really good trailers, the equal of any blizzard trailer, released by several developers that deserve credit where it's due. Here's some just in the last year alone that are the equal to anything seen in SCII or WoW.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Napoleon Total War

Assassins Creed II

Dragon Age II

You know, also, I think it's mostly that they don't have a lot of competition. Most games now seem to use in game graphics for their trailers as the visual fidelity for most games has reached a point to where it's not necessary to product high budget and time consuming CGI trailers. Red Orchestra 2 is an excellent example of a great trailer made using in game graphics. I could name 15 more like RO2 that have been released in the last 3 months alone.

Don't get me wrong I love Blizzards CGI, but I think the other devs have really picked up some slack in the last few years and have mades some really amazing, and totally awesome, trailers.

therancors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 therancors
Member since 2005 • 709 Posts

The Blizzard cinematic department is one of the finest in the world, along with Blur Studios, DIGIC, Robot (Capcom) and the one from Square-Enix (the old Square Pictures studio).

Definitively is much better than the CG department from Namco or Team Ninja, but I think that Blizzard top their summit at the Wrath Of The Lich King intro; I was far more amazed by the Deus Ex: Human Revolution trailer from Square -Enix than by any Starcraft II cinematic. Blur and DIGIC are also amazing (DoW and Mark Of Chaos). So are amazing? Yes. In the top 5? Yes. The best of the best? Not for me, currently.

I must also add that the Diablo III cinematic was weak: good technical level, but in terms of music and atmosphere failed to give chills.

Ondoval
Though at the end of the Deus Ex Trailer, the credits show Goldtooth Creative And Visual Works.
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

[QUOTE="Ondoval"]

therancors

Though at the end of the Deus Ex Trailer, the credits show Goldtooth Creative And Visual Works.

Visual Works is Japanese, Wikipedia doesn't have more info, but I suspect that is related to the internal SE CGI departments in some way. The people design and the weapons and mechas are distinctively similar to the kind of stuff from oriental developers.

coreybg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 coreybg
Member since 2009 • 2608 Posts

Are you sure they don't use motion-capture? Cuz that cinematic at the end of WC3:TFT seemed pretty advanced for it's time.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ravenchrome

Are you sure they don't use motion-capture? Cuz that cinematic at the end of WC3:TFT seemed pretty advanced for it's time.

coreybg

No they didn't. It was great because of their animators and VFX artists. Back then, Motion Capture was not cheap.

Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

soliderPp

I'd completely agree with you five years ago. In the last couple of years there have been some really good trailers, the equal of any blizzard trailer, released by several developers that deserve credit where it's due. Here's some just in the last year alone that are the equal to anything seen in SCII or WoW.

Star Wars: The Old Republic

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II

Napoleon Total War

Assassins Creed II

Dragon Age II

You know, also, I think it's mostly that they don't have a lot of competition. Most games now seem to use in game graphics for their trailers as the visual fidelity for most games has reached a point to where it's not necessary to product high budget and time consuming CGI trailers. Red Orchestra 2 is an excellent example of a great trailer made using in game graphics. I could name 15 more like RO2 that have been released in the last 3 months alone.

Don't get me wrong I love Blizzards CGI, but I think the other devs have really picked up some slack in the last few years and have mades some really amazing, and totally awesome, trailers.

1) Those CGs are outsourced. Not done in house unlike Blizzard's CGs.

2) I mean graphics wise, they are not as good. I mean Graphics, subtlety in animations, attention to details is not as great if you look closely.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Some of the guys there have worked on Hollywood movies before moving to Blizzard.

No wonder Blizzard CGs are comparable to the visual effects used in big budget films.

2) Yes, all the cinematics in Sc2,WoW,Wc3 are mostly done without motion capture.

3) Motion Capture is faster but according to PIXAR and some Blizzard CG guys, it's not allowing the animators to really show their talents.

4) The animators at Blizzard are so good that their animations are better than most motion-captured sequences.

6) Deathwing will be as big as a city in the CG. (David Loung-Blizzard VFX compositor/one of)

Ravenchrome
With all the money from WoW they must have bought/built a CG Department. I remember an interview years ago with a Blizzard developer and he stated that all CGI Movies were made by an EXTERNAL company...
Ravenchrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ravenchrome

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

FelipeInside

With all the money from WoW they must have bought/built a CG Department. I remember an interview years ago with a Blizzard developer and he stated that all CGI Movies were made by an EXTERNAL company...

No. They have had an internal CG department since Starcraft. I think he refers to the WoW movie in production.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

Ravenchrome

No. They have had an internal CG department since Starcraft. I think he refers to the WoW movie in production.

I believe they had an internal CG Production Department (as in charge of story, comic panels, etc etc), but the actual animation work was done by another company.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Interestingly enough, I toally don't care about their CGI when their game is meh. Age of Mythology is where it's at for a RTS... you know strategy first, button mashing second. Oh and CSS is like infinitely better than all Blizzard games.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]Interestingly enough, I toally don't care about their CGI when their game is meh. Age of Mythology is where it's at for a RTS... you know strategy first, button mashing second. Oh and CSS is like infinitely better than all Blizzard games.

What game is meh? CSS as in Counter Strike Source?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts
Yes.
LordAinav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LordAinav
Member since 2007 • 227 Posts

[QUOTE="Ravenchrome"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] With all the money from WoW they must have bought/built a CG Department. I remember an interview years ago with a Blizzard developer and he stated that all CGI Movies were made by an EXTERNAL company...FelipeInside

I believe they had an internal CG Production Department (as in charge of story, comic panels, etc etc), but the actual animation work was done by another company.

All of their cinematics were done internally since the good ol Warcraft 1&2 days.

Starcraft 2 cinematics

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="Ravenchrome"] No. They have had an internal CG department since Starcraft. I think he refers to the WoW movie in production.

LordAinav

All of their cinematics were done internally since the good ol Warcraft 1&2 days.

Starcraft 2 cinematics

Is that the "making of" but of the DVD that contained the cinematics for SC, Warcraft and Diablo? that came out years later.... I remember 100% the interview where the guy says the animation is done externally....but who knows...