bioshock vs half life 2 vs halo 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts

I have a pc, and I recently got Call of Duty 4. I am looking to get one or two more good games, and am wondering which you guys think I should get: bioshock, half life 2 (I would get the orange box), or halo 2. I have played Halo 2 and loved it, but I haven't had any experience with the other two.

What do you guys think?

rcignoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rcignoni
Member since 2004 • 8863 Posts
Orange Box, the best thing you can EVER get.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts
The Orange Box is easily the best choice you've got. 25+ hours worth of high-quality Single Player and an awesome Multiplayer component to go along with it. No contest.
hoola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hoola
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts
Get the Orange box then if you have enough money you should buy Counter Strike Source.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Already got CSS. Any other suggestions?
error11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 error11
Member since 2006 • 7163 Posts
Orange Box
Avatar image for deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 deactivated-5de2fb6a3a711
Member since 2004 • 13995 Posts
well, I can say don't get Bioshock and screw Halo 2 now that 3 is out. So... Orange Box
Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#8 Digital_DJ_00
Member since 2005 • 1460 Posts
Bioshock
draticon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 draticon
Member since 2008 • 45 Posts
Bioshock is good but orange box is better value
Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Digital_DJ_00
Bioshock is good but orange box is better valuedraticon

Correct, both are great games, but I favor Bioshock more.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts

Half Life 2 is a must buy game.

Halo 2 is worth playing if you have a friend to coop with (if the PC version even supports coop?)

BioShock, eggggghhhhhghggh.

pilouuuu2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 pilouuuu2004
Member since 2004 • 1075 Posts
Half Life 2 (best PC game ever) > Bioshock (very atmospheric and very good game, but no replayability) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Halo 2 (overhyped Vista only crap)
Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Digital_DJ_00

Halo 2 is worth playing if you have a friend to coop with (if the PC version even supports coop?)

fatshodan

Halo 2 over Bioshock!?!? What the hell is wrong with you...

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Definitely, The Orange Box.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 fatshodan
[QUOTE="fatshodan"]

Digital_DJ_00

BioShock is mediocre at best - and it's a poor copy of a much better game that's almost nine years old.

Nicolas101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Nicolas101
Member since 2008 • 491 Posts
[QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

fatshodan

BioShock is mediocre at best - In my opinion and it's a poor copy of a much better game that's almost nine years old.

There, fixed. I would reccomend the Orange Box, but Bioshock is pretty good to. Just, if you've played System Shock 2, don't go in expecting anything as good.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

Nicolas101

BioShock is mediocre at best - In my opinion and it's a poor copy of a much better game that's almost nine years old.

There, fixed. I would reccomend the Orange Box, but in my opinion Bioshock is pretty good to. Just, if you've played System Shock 2, don't go in expecting anything as good.

There, fixed.

musclesforcier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 musclesforcier
Member since 2004 • 2894 Posts

Orange Box because it includes:

One of the best FPS ever and its two episodes.

One of the best and funnest multiplayer games ever.

One of the most original, funny, and creative games ever.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
[QUOTE="Nicolas101"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

GodLovesDead

There, fixed. I would reccomend the Orange Box, but in my opinion Bioshock is pretty good to. Just, if you've played System Shock 2, don't go in expecting anything as good.

There, fixed.

Nice.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 fatshodan

Nicolas101

There, fixed. I would reccomend the Orange Box, but Bioshock is pretty good to. Just, if you've played System Shock 2, don't go in expecting anything as good.

Well, in my opinion, I think that in my opinion anyone with half a ****ing brain would in my opinion be able to deduce in my opinion that if I'm saying it, it's my opinion in my opinion.

But that's just my opinion.

Nicolas101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Nicolas101
Member since 2008 • 491 Posts
[QUOTE="Nicolas101"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

GodLovesDead

There, fixed.

Oh, I self pwned. :?

EDIT: Nice reply fatshodan.

Helbrec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 Helbrec
Member since 2008 • 1325 Posts
Orange Box and Bioshock. Halo 2 sucks on PC
jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts

BioshockDigital_DJ_00

i'm with this guy, as long as you get it for a decent price

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Going by hours of game time input I will look to Halo 2 but Half Life 2 and Bioshock are games defiantly worth playing. If this is solely on PC platform though my choice is Half Life 2.

MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Both Half Life 2 and Bioshock are good games, but I'd say Half 2 is great in compared to Bioshock. Same goes for the Orange Box. Bioshock is the last game I would recomend. Not that it's bad, there's just better games.

As for the Halos... I think they are... they're not bad, but I just think they are the last games you would want to play. I mean as a last resort. There's just better games available.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts

Get The Orange Box, most content and most variety (even if I'm not a big fan of HL2).

Halo 2 is meh, definitely the weakest game in the trilogy.

Bioshock just sucks.

bdever32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 bdever32
Member since 2005 • 757 Posts
You'll get a lot more for your money with the Orange Box, and in my opinion is far better than either Bioshock or Halo 2. Bioshock is pretty good, don't get me wrong... but Half-Life 2 (+ the episodes) is still my favorite game to this day.
Digital_DJ_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Digital_DJ_00
[QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

fatshodan

BioShock is mediocre at best - and it's a poor copy of a much better game that's almost nine years old.

Please give your reasons as to why Bioshock is a poor copy of System Shock 2.
MagnumPI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MagnumPI
Member since 2002 • 9617 Posts

Digital_DJ_00

Are you for real? Becuause I can agree that Bioshock is a poor version of System Shock 2. Did you play System Shock 2? You're just asking him to convince you, which he won't because you will just argue with any reason he gives you. It's an opinion that you don't agree with, so why can't it just be?

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
[QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"][QUOTE="fatshodan"][QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"][QUOTE="fatshodan"]

MagnumPI

Are you for real? Becuause I can agree that Bioshock is a poor version of System Shock 2. Did you play System Shock 2? You're just asking him to convince you, which he won't because you will just argue with any reason he gives you. It's an opinion that you don't agree with, so why can't it just be?

I wouldn't be surprised if Fatshodan has a lengthy text to paste into his post every time someone asks that question. If not, he should, because it'd save him a lot of time.

fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 fatshodan

Please give your reasons as to why Bioshock is a poor copy of System Shock 2. Digital_DJ_00

Alright.

First up, story. The BioShock story is 95% identical to the System Shock 2 story (I'll leave it at that, but I can go into great detail if you like), including the big twist and all the major narrative devices. This means that anyone who's played SS2 can probably guess (I did) what's coming in the opening minutes. That makes BioShock's story absolutely moot. A story driven game where you already know exactly what's going to happen? Heh.

And even if you haven't played System Shock 2, you can't defend it. If someone released a film that had the exact same story as Fight Club or The Usual Suspects, could it be defended - being objective? Even if you hadn't seen those films, it's just not soemthing you can defend. BioShock's story - one of its most central elements - undermines itself.

Then there's the difficulty level. BioShock is pointlessly easy! While hacking, the game pauses, meaning that enemy that's a few feet away will pretty much stand around and wait for you to finish. And if you fail the hack, all you lose is a little health - and it won't actually kill you, no matter how many times you fail. And because money is in virtually unlimited supply, you can just buy more health at any one of the very frequent vending machines.

And then there's the security system, which seems to exist exclusively to help you. Because hacking is so easy, it's always on your side - even though it pretends it isn't. See a turret? Zap and hack. Bam. See a camera? Get caught in it, wait for the helicopter, zam and hack. Bam. All of these obstacles work entirely in your favour. Hacking in BioShock is just a pointless pacing device.

Oh, and with God-mode on by default, even if you do happen to die, well, you can just respawn nearby. While this feature was present in System Shock 2 (and is great when done properly), the game charged you nanites when you died. So, in death, there was a tangible loss. In BioShock, you lose absolutely nothing - indeed, because enemies don't regenerate health, you're encouraged to just wrench rush stuff and die over and over.

And then there's the combat. First off, there are two plasmid archetypes - hurt and distract. All of your plasmids will fall into one of those categories. So, sure, it's great that you have decoy and wasps and zap, but they're functionally all the same. They temporarily prevent your enemy from attacking you. And some are better than others - in fact, balance is completely off on the plasmids. Until you reach immune enemies (which come too late), there's no reason to not zap and whack most enemies you meet. Sure, you can use other methods, but they're simply less efficient. That would be like deliberately shooting someone in the foot repeatedly rather than go for a headshot. Gamers are efficient, and some ways of playing BioShock are more efficient than others.

Do you know how many Psi abilities there are in System Shock 2? And how unique they all are? When playing OSA, System Shock 2 has you building a unique and personalised character with a large roster of unique abilities and you're forced to make choices depending on the type of character you want to play. When playing BioShock, zap and whack, zap and whack, zap and whack.

And even if you don't play OSA, System Shock 2's generic gunplay/wrenchplay is far better than BioShock's because it plays strongly off the horror. You have limited resources and your weapons will degrade, so every encounter is a question. In BioShock, just zap and whack, or fire on full auto - you have practically unlimited health, ammo, eve and cash, so who cares.

And then there's the character building. Roleplaying elements exist specifically so you can build a unique and personalised character and then play your unique character in a unique way. In SS2, you can build a character with strong technical skills and you can hack into those vending machines and you can disable those turrets and those cameras. You'll have more resources to carry around, but your combat skills won't be as developed. Or maybe you want to build a grunt with weapons mastery? You won't be able to get through those locked doors and you'll have to gun down those sentries and cameras, so you won't have as many resources, but you'll use them more efficiently. Or maybe you want to build an OSA who uses stealth and other cool abilities to overcome obstacles. Or perhaps a hybrid - but whatever you do, you're making choices and you're building a personalised character who plays in unique ways.

In BioShock, you don't really have any choices to make. You have enough Adam to buy all the plasmids (worth buying) as well as all the useful gene tonics, and there's no need to make choices about which to use - you can just swap them out at any time! And hell, you don't even need them because the game is so easy! BioShock features all of the character building elements of SS2, but they are so underdeveloped that they are pointless and serve no functional purpose. You aren't building a character, you aren't making choices and you aren't playing a personalised character who plays the game in a particular way. You can already do absolutely everything. All you're doing is, uh... nothing.

And there are other pointless things, like the weapon upgrade stations. There are enough for almost every weapon (there's little functional difference between the weapons, by the way), and each weapon can only be upgraded once, so all you're doing over the length of the game is making your weapons more powerful, one by one, to keep them in line with the inexplicably more powerful enemies. Ever played Resident Evil 4? That game had real weapon-based character development. You could only carry a few and each weapon could be upgraded multiple times, so you ended up with a personalised character who used a few weapons based on your preferences and choices. That is real character development.

BioShock has mediocre combat, functionally superfluous roleplaying mechanics and a self-sabotaging and pointless story. It's System Shock 2 for kids.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Orange Box, the best thing you can EVER get.rcignoni

QFT

mcavoybn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#33 mcavoybn
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

I have a pc, and I recently got Call of Duty 4. I am looking to get one or two more good games, and am wondering which you guys think I should get: bioshock, half life 2 (I would get the orange box), or halo 2. I have played Halo 2 and loved it, but I haven't had any experience with the other two.

What do you guys think?

chessmaster1989

Boishock or Half Life 2 not Halo 2, Halo 2 is alright, but not as good....

pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
orange box has 5 good games ( including HL2 episodes ) and its orange! who doesnt like orange? :lol:
claytoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 claytoma
Member since 2002 • 1508 Posts
Halo 2 is really bad, don't waste your money. I have played Half-life 2 and it's episodes 5 times and loved each run through. Bioshock is a good game but not nearly as good as the Half-Life 2 series. Bioshock is worth a one time play though but that's it.
jfsebastianII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 jfsebastianII
Member since 2007 • 1084 Posts

[QUOTE="Digital_DJ_00"]

Please give your reasons as to why Bioshock is a poor copy of System Shock 2. fatshodan

Alright.

First up, story. The BioShock story is 95% identical to the System Shock 2 story (I'll leave it at that, but I can go into great detail if you like), including the big twist and all the major narrative devices. This means that anyone who's played SS2 can probably guess (I did) what's coming in the opening minutes. That makes BioShock's story absolutely moot. A story driven game where you already know exactly what's going to happen? Heh.

And even if you haven't played System Shock 2, you can't defend it. If someone released a film that had the exact same story as Fight Club or The Usual Suspects, could it be defended - being objective? Even if you hadn't seen those films, it's just not soemthing you can defend. BioShock's story - one of its most central elements - undermines itself.

Then there's the difficulty level. BioShock is pointlessly easy! While hacking, the game pauses, meaning that enemy that's a few feet away will pretty much stand around and wait for you to finish. And if you fail the hack, all you lose is a little health - and it won't actually kill you, no matter how many times you fail. And because money is in virtually unlimited supply, you can just buy more health at any one of the very frequent vending machines.

And then there's the security system, which seems to exist exclusively to help you. Because hacking is so easy, it's always on your side - even though it pretends it isn't. See a turret? Zap and hack. Bam. See a camera? Get caught in it, wait for the helicopter, zam and hack. Bam. All of these obstacles work entirely in your favour. Hacking in BioShock is just a pointless pacing device.

Oh, and with God-mode on by default, even if you do happen to die, well, you can just respawn nearby. While this feature was present in System Shock 2 (and is great when done properly), the game charged you nanites when you died. So, in death, there was a tangible loss. In BioShock, you lose absolutely nothing - indeed, because enemies don't regenerate health, you're encouraged to just wrench rush stuff and die over and over.

And then there's the combat. First off, there are two plasmid archetypes - hurt and distract. All of your plasmids will fall into one of those categories. So, sure, it's great that you have decoy and wasps and zap, but they're functionally all the same. They temporarily prevent your enemy from attacking you. And some are better than others - in fact, balance is completely off on the plasmids. Until you reach immune enemies (which come too late), there's no reason to not zap and whack most enemies you meet. Sure, you can use other methods, but they're simply less efficient. That would be like deliberately shooting someone in the foot repeatedly rather than go for a headshot. Gamers are efficient, and some ways of playing BioShock are more efficient than others.

Do you know how many Psi abilities there are in System Shock 2? And how unique they all are? When playing OSA, System Shock 2 has you building a unique and personalised character with a large roster of unique abilities and you're forced to make choices depending on the type of character you want to play. When playing BioShock, zap and whack, zap and whack, zap and whack.

And even if you don't play OSA, System Shock 2's generic gunplay/wrenchplay is far better than BioShock's because it plays strongly off the horror. You have limited resources and your weapons will degrade, so every encounter is a question. In BioShock, just zap and whack, or fire on full auto - you have practically unlimited health, ammo, eve and cash, so who cares.

And then there's the character building. Roleplaying elements exist specifically so you can build a unique and personalised character and then play your unique character in a unique way. In SS2, you can build a character with strong technical skills and you can hack into those vending machines and you can disable those turrets and those cameras. You'll have more resources to carry around, but your combat skills won't be as developed. Or maybe you want to build a grunt with weapons mastery? You won't be able to get through those locked doors and you'll have to gun down those sentries and cameras, so you won't have as many resources, but you'll use them more efficiently. Or maybe you want to build an OSA who uses stealth and other cool abilities to overcome obstacles. Or perhaps a hybrid - but whatever you do, you're making choices and you're building a personalised character who plays in unique ways.

In BioShock, you don't really have any choices to make. You have enough Adam to buy all the plasmids (worth buying) as well as all the useful gene tonics, and there's no need to make choices about which to use - you can just swap them out at any time! And hell, you don't even need them because the game is so easy! BioShock features all of the character building elements of SS2, but they are so underdeveloped that they are pointless and serve no functional purpose. You aren't building a character, you aren't making choices and you aren't playing a personalised character who plays the game in a particular way. You can already do absolutely everything. All you're doing is, uh... nothing.

And there are other pointless things, like the weapon upgrade stations. There are enough for almost every weapon (there's little functional difference between the weapons, by the way), and each weapon can only be upgraded once, so all you're doing over the length of the game is making your weapons more powerful, one by one, to keep them in line with the inexplicably more powerful enemies. Ever played Resident Evil 4? That game had real weapon-based character development. You could only carry a few and each weapon could be upgraded multiple times, so you ended up with a personalised character who used a few weapons based on your preferences and choices. That is real character development.

BioShock has mediocre combat, functionally superfluous roleplaying mechanics and a self-sabotaging and pointless story. It's System Shock 2 for kids.

i knew this was going to happen - can you guys go to the thread in my sig, read it, then just lie down in a darkened room please

NOW

Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts
I'd go for Half Life 2. BioShock is cheap now and it's worth it. I thought Halo 2 looked and felt like crap on the PC, which is odd because I had a lot of fun playing the first one and I don't remember it looking or feeling so crappy.
zomglolcats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 zomglolcats
Member since 2008 • 4335 Posts

Orange Box

/thread over

Philmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Philmon
Member since 2003 • 1454 Posts
I have recently been getting back into FPS after leaving the genre a number of years ago (pre-2000). So I have played Halo 2, Half-Life 2 and am now playing Bioshock (Crysis or STALKER is next), and I have to say I wish I had played Bioshock before I played HL2 because it feels kind of disappointing to come down from the soaring heights of HL2. I am just grateful that I played Halo 2 first because I dont think I would have been able to play through that game if I had played HL2 first.