bioshock 2 activation

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Darksonic666 (3482 posts) -

does bioshock 2 need internet

#2 Posted by Zillaschool (1608 posts) -
I hope not also does it have any activation limitation on steam?
#3 Posted by kasmirwoods84 (39 posts) -

no activation required but i cANNOT speak on steams behalf

#4 Posted by Royas (1370 posts) -

According to 2K Elizabeth on the 2K forums, it uses SecuROM for an .exe check and date check, requiring an internet connection for initial install (unlimited activations, though) and uses Games for Windows Live for pretty much everything else. The Games for Windows Live requires an online activation, and is limited to 15 activations total, after which you would have to contact Microsoft (not 2K, they have nothing to do with this) for any more. You can tie the game to an offline profile, meaning you shouldn't need to be online to play/save/load after the initial activation, but you will need to be online at least once to install and play the game. The requirements are the same for the retail and the Steam version, both have the exact same DRM for some insane reason.

I'm not getting the game just because of the online activations. The first Bioshock taught me that lesson... no online activations, ever.

#5 Posted by kozzy1234 (35953 posts) -

Activating it was painless, works fine.

#6 Posted by Darksonic666 (3482 posts) -
[QUOTE="Royas"]

According to 2K Elizabeth on the 2K forums, it uses SecuROM for an .exe check and date check, requiring an internet connection for initial install (unlimited activations, though) and uses Games for Windows Live for pretty much everything else. The Games for Windows Live requires an online activation, and is limited to 15 activations total, after which you would have to contact Microsoft (not 2K, they have nothing to do with this) for any more. You can tie the game to an offline profile, meaning you shouldn't need to be online to play/save/load after the initial activation, but you will need to be online at least once to install and play the game. The requirements are the same for the retail and the Steam version, both have the exact same DRM for some insane reason.

I'm not getting the game just because of the online activations. The first Bioshock taught me that lesson... no online activations, ever.

Dang I dont have internet
#7 Posted by Royas (1370 posts) -

[QUOTE="Royas"]

Darksonic666

Dang I dont have internet

Well, I'm not worried about not having the internet, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I'm more worried about things on their end. Servers go down, services are discontinued, and a limited number of activations puts a "death date" on the game to start with. All they have to do to turn my game into a very expensive coaster is decide that keeping the activation servers up is too expensive, and shut them down. That's something that's inevitable, assuming they don't go under at some point before that. Neither 2K nor MS guarantees eternal support, and MS has already demonstrated their willingness to shut down the support of older products (Xbox live for the first console, anyone?).

It's just not a good risk, to my mind.