Biggest Disappointment of '07

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

While everyone is too busy thinking about whats going to get GOTY, I am curious as to what your biggest disappointment has been of 2007. This isnt strictly limited to specific games, so if you are disappointed in certain trends you noticed or something else related to PC gaming, go ahead and say so.

For me, the biggest disappointment is Bioshock. Through a combination of high standards (my fault) and sub-par gameplay and storytelling (their fault) it just wasnt what it should have been, especially given the pedigree behind it ("oh em gee, its gonna be like System Shock 2!"). Overhyped, dumbed down for consoles, and lame.

The most disappointing trend I've noticed is video cards and Dx10. First, Dx10 is a scam, there is no secret there...with Halo 2, Shadowrun, and Crysis (very high settings) being able to not only run, but run BETTER, on XP. Add to this the "cutting edge" video cards that were released: first, there was news about Dx10.1 which caused a scare...then nvidia decided to release the 8800GT that has 30+% the performance of the GTS and at the same price. I am happy with my 8800GTS, but its like, come on.

OK, thats it for me.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
GFW Live - just sucks.
shade1978x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 shade1978x
Member since 2005 • 278 Posts
Good God. Stranglehold. Biggest disappointment of 07. I'll never buy Midway again.
kalossimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 kalossimitar
Member since 2005 • 613 Posts
the censoring of the witcher in N-A
Minder22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Minder22
Member since 2004 • 487 Posts
Hellgate london was very dissapointing to alot of people
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

For me, the biggest disappointment is Bioshock.

mrbojangles25

Bingo!

I don't think Bioshock is a bad game - I woldn't even call it mediocre, and If I hadn't for once dared to dream, to get my hopes up.. to think, maybe, just maybe... I probably wouldn't have been disappointed with it at all. But those bastards. Those rat bastards. I hope you sleep with a baseball bat, Ken. I'm comin' for you early next year.

Bioshock was just a massive disappointment. But I went and replayed SS2 again afterwards, and I felt better.

It's pretty difficult to praise any part of the game at all - except gene tonics. I think they were a really sound idea. Slightly off the mark as far as implementation is concerned, I'd say, but I would definitely like to see more apparent skills & abilities replacing stats in RPGs in the future. Upgrading your strength from 4 to 5 just feels so archaic to me,I think something like gene tonics would be a better direction for RPG character development to take - when done properly, of course.

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

either jericho, (baught it on the strength of the demo, which was deceptively good)

and hellgate, was neither a good sucsessor to diablo or the game the hype said it would be, its just disapointing

FerraraZ23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 FerraraZ23
Member since 2003 • 424 Posts
has to be hellgate london. I mean the game was hyped for years and when the DEMO came out it killed that hype let alone the game. Biggest dissapointment of 07 - hellgate london.
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Bioshock and Hellgate London.
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 gogators4life
Member since 2006 • 4654 Posts

C&C 3

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Hellgate london was very dissapointing to alot of peopleMinder22

My vote as well.

However, this is one of those games I guarantee will be drastically improved as time goes by.

FerraraZ23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FerraraZ23
^^ Thats just stupid I'm sorry, C&C 3 got the reviews that justified its development. The game is even getting a sequel and your saying it was the BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT. Just because you dont like a game doesn't mean its a fact.
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 gogators4life

^^ Thats just stupid I'm sorry, C&C 3 got the reviews that justified its development. The game is even getting a sequel and your saying it was the BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT. Just because you dont like a game doesn't mean its a fact.FerraraZ23

I didn't state it as a fact, this is an opinion thread. C&C 3 was the biggest disappointment for me. As a big C&C fan, C&C 3 didn't live up to the hype for me. Your the one who's acting stupid.

FerraraZ23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FerraraZ23
Gamespot gave C&C 3 a 9.0........what makes you think they'll make that title biggest dissapointment?
Srinivassa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 Srinivassa
Member since 2003 • 671 Posts
Disappointed that I had to buy a new computer to play any of the games that came out in October or later. I know hardware upgrades are inevitable, but I just feel like they stopped optimizing PC games. Instead they optimize their console cousins and just expect PC gamers to completely redo their rig. Disappointed that it has been an FPS Christmas. Not my favorite genre. Although, I am thankful to see a new UT3. Disappointed that the single-player still bites. Disappointed in PC exclusives. I mean there's Crysis (which is going to be a bargain bin pick up two years from now for me), which is absolutely huge. Then there is World in Conflict (which is largely considered overrated). Then some expansions to games which aren't too bad. (NWN2, SC, CIV4, AoE3,FEAR) Disappointed in no BIG innovation (although some would count Crysis, it's still kind of Far Cry 1.5 to me). Consoles usually get something weird, whether its Wanda and the Colossus, or Elebits, or Katamari Demacy. PC seems to be getting the big 4, MMO, FPS, RPG, RTS. Shadowrun was supposed to have some moderate innovation, but it did NOT take off. I'm sure Crysis is very good, and it is more sandboxy than other FPS games, so that's something. Still Portal was the only hit-you-over-the-head-wow-this-is-cool-I've-never-seen-the-like kind of game that I can think of, and it was really only a 2-3 hour minigame within a massive package of down-to-earth FPS goodness. Still, it's been a great year, and I am enjoying several games from my Xmas list already. This was just a thread about complaints, and I'm really good at finding things to complain about.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

^^ Thats just stupid I'm sorry, C&C 3 got the reviews that justified its development. The game is even getting a sequel and your saying it was the BIGGEST DISSAPOINTMENT. Just because you dont like a game doesn't mean its a fact.FerraraZ23

Lol, calm down, I don't remember anyone saying any of this was actual FACT. It's just what they thought was the most "dissapointing", so the guy didn't like C&C3 cuz he thought it would be something better, so frikin' sue him!

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts
Hellgate London hands down for me.... I don't ever remember a bigger pile of dog crap recieving so much hype.
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ElArab
Oh yeah, anyway, IMO My biggest Dissapointment of '07 was World in Conflict. I know how praised and loved that game is and please don't gang up on me cuz I don't like it, it's just not as good as it was saying it was gonna be, I was expecting it to be this new RTS that would like, re-write the genre, but eh, it was just kind of an "average" RTS to me, with a few bells and whistles on it, it's cool that you don't have to build bases, but the game is just easy and boring IMO. Not much strategy involved really. Great visuals though.
gogators4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gogators4life

Gamespot gave C&C 3 a 9.0........what makes you think they'll make that title biggest dissapointment?FerraraZ23

First off, Gamespot reviews are terrible in my opinion. They lost their touch when they lost Greg Kassivin. God, I sure hope you don't buy games off of Gamespot reviews. Second, Bio-shock got excellent reviews as well, and lot of people in this thread called it disappiontment. Third, wait, there is no third.

ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ElArab

Bioshock was a huge dissapointment IMO too, it's a fun game and all, and like Zero Punctuation said, if you're some 360 gamer who hasn't played a game like that Bioshock may seem like "the s***" but hell, it's just a downgraded in gameplay System Shock 2, and upgraded in Graphics.

Mentioning Zero, here's the Bioshock review, I definetly trust this guy more then Gamespot.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock

dayaccus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 dayaccus007
Member since 2007 • 4349 Posts
NFS ProStreet is the biggest dissapointment by far
Kokihatu_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kokihatu_
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts
I second NFS ProStreet, what a mediocre game it turned out to be.
Baphomet_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Baphomet_X
Member since 2007 • 61 Posts
Dunno, I must have odd tastes. I liked bioshock and hellgate :P
attirex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 attirex
Member since 2007 • 2448 Posts
Bioshock and Hellgate--I so very much agree, and for the same reasons. Bioshock = brain-dead gameplay and a horrible ending. Don't believe the hype (one reviewer even wrote that the ending made him cry. WTF? Are you PMS-ing?). Hellgate seems mediocre, at best, but I'm still holding out hope that it can/will be improved. Who knows?
DarknessDeku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DarknessDeku
Member since 2007 • 30 Posts
I loved Bioshock. It was a fun FPS.But I think the biggest disappointment was Timeshift. I played the demo and loved it, but when I got the game it turned out to be very different from the demo after the first level.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Crysis was too much like far cry, which isnt bad but i guees i just expected more.

Need For Speed Prostreet, dont even know where to start there, kudos for trying something different but how you can go from most wanted to pro street is beyond me, even the just okay carbon is a lot better then pro street.

UT3 is a huge disappointed to me, because that game just pales in comparison to what we got in UT2004. Plus the great movement is gone, and even though technically the graphics are much better in UT3 then it still looks boring, i cant stand that ue 3 grey, black and white look, YAAAAWN.

The only real game that i was like a little kid looking forward to was CnC 3. And it mostly lived up to my expatations, the fmv videos could have been a lot better, but i liked the story, the gameplay was fun. The music could also have been a little better.

And the surprice for me this year was stalker, best fps this year although i still liked bioshock a lot too because of the setting. Im doom 3 fanatic so off course id like bioshock ;) I never got to play system shock 2 so i cant compare it to that.

Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#27 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts
Personally I would have to say the Orange Box. I was so looking forward to seeing what all the PC guys were talking about with Half Life 2 and I was througly dissapointed. Portal was fun but far too short, and TF 2 just wasn't my cup of tea.
Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

Personally for me it has to be tabula rasa. I was hoping for a mmo to pull me out of my post WoW slump but apparently from it's mediocore reviews it's getting it is not a game that can defeat WoW's legacy.

delirin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 delirin
Member since 2003 • 745 Posts

^I had forgotten about Tabula Rasa, but yeah, it was a major letdown for me too.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
The #1 spot of most disappointing games goes without doubt to SimCity Societies (nice way of ruining the SimCity name :( ). #2 is NFS Pro Street, I had hoped it was at least as good as the last few NFS games (not that they were that great in the first place), but based on the demo there doesn't seem to be anything to come for. #3 is Bioshock. I haven't heard about it before it was released, so my expectations wasn't high at all, but after playing in it for about an hour I noticed that it has pretty much included everything I don't like to see in an FPS game
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
BioShock hands down. No other game has had me so hyped just to take a giant crap on all my hopes and dreams. It was like Ken Levine just walked up to me, kicked me in the nuts, stole the money from my wallet and said "hope you enjoyed it."
Ney_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ney_
Member since 2006 • 166 Posts
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for me. Bought it because of the nice reviews and I wanted a fast shooter with lots of online action. Played it 1½ hour and haven't touched it since I put it up on my shelf a month ago.
kyrieee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kyrieee
Member since 2007 • 978 Posts

Well Hellgate: London? For a game that was supposed to be Diablo III...

@ TC, the GT came out a year after the GTS even though it's sort of in the same series. Whenever you buy a card you know there will be a new one out sometime

jazilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#34 jazilla
Member since 2005 • 2320 Posts
Hellgate: London and Tabula Rasa. I know why Garriot wants to leave Earth now, to get away from that awful game.
j3v1zzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 j3v1zzle
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#36 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts

Biggest Disappoint I didnt play - Hellgate London - It looked really good, i had some hype towards it. I played the demo thought the game was crap, wow it sucked bad.

Biggest Disappoint I played - Bioshock - I loved the demo, replayed it many a time. I played through Bioshock once, and ill never play thru it again, the story is OK, the gameplay is boring. You can tell its a console port. Just a 12 hour single player that wasnt even good..

Sardonacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Sardonacus
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
For me it was Tiger Woods 08. It's the same game as TW06 & 07. EA is really dropping the ball on there sports products. I know EA was just a distributor on Crysis, but I wonder how good the game would of been if they hadn't been involved at all.
Alkpaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#38 Alkpaz
Member since 2005 • 2073 Posts
You Are Empty seems like the new Big Rigs of 07 :)
rock_solid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rock_solid
Member since 2003 • 5122 Posts
UT3
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58271 Posts

You Are Empty seems like the new Big Rigs of 07 :)Alkpaz

Hahah ya, it got a 1.5 didnt it?

But honestly, were you disappointed? I think everyone was expecting that game to bomb.

MasterNuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MasterNuts
Member since 2006 • 258 Posts

Halo 3 is my biggest disappointment of 07, i mean cmon it was halo 3!!! this game deserved a different type of scoring overall its maybea 9.5 game but if you manage to see it is halo's sequel with hisHUGE budget and MASSIVE hype this games deserves a 6 at most.

Halo WAS for me the only quality popular game out there, not like Fifa or Smack down VS RAW, but a great game that eveyone knew wich could represent us as gamers buy ur shirt and ur wallet and say you are a gamer without eveyone else thinking ur an inmature idiot, i think now GoW its what halo was in his time

Avatar image for cntrl_alt_dstry
cntrl_alt_dstry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 cntrl_alt_dstry
Member since 2007 • 115 Posts
I thought Bioshock had ok gameplay and good story but badly told. On topic Hellgate London for sure.
SirWeymont

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SirWeymont
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
hellgate and C&C 3....
Thekidshookah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Thekidshookah
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

NHL 08

Neil Frose isnt that tall

I cried alittle when i saw that...

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Hellgate London. I really had my hopes up for a modern day/futuristic Diablo 2 remake because it was developed by ex-Blizzard North employees. What I saw through the demo and subsequently the game (from a friend's computer), that it was an overhyped POS game that not only failed to capture the essence of the Diablo games but glitchy, buggy and overall rushed just to get more moolah...shame on you Flagship Studios and EA.
crapdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 crapdog
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts

Bioshock was a huge dissapointment IMO too, it's a fun game and all, and like Zero Punctuation said, if you're some 360 gamer who hasn't played a game like that Bioshock may seem like "the s***" but hell, it's just a downgraded in gameplay System Shock 2, and upgraded in Graphics.

Mentioning Zero, here's the Bioshock review, I definetly trust this guy more then Gamespot.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/zeropunctuation/1394-Zero-Punctuation-BioShock

ElArab

yeah and in addition to that i always laugh my ass off reading his reviews

my worst 07 games is bioshock and c&c3 both dumbed down to death

my #1 game is world in conflict, its all about fights no ressources to collect

crapdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 crapdog
Member since 2006 • 427 Posts

hellgate and C&C 3.... SirWeymont

lol i thought " United States Peace Corps Volunteer" was also a game leave some spaces between your message and your sig,

rofl your are killing me

RedDanDoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 RedDanDoc
Member since 2005 • 3720 Posts
medieval total war 2 disapointed me.
TA127

Forum Posts