Bethesda goes DRM free (sort of)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

Got the email this morning that some Bethesda classics are being released on GoG. This is pretty big, IMO - hopefully the sales are good and this encourages current titles to release on the platform. I might have to grab another copy of Morrowind...

urbangamez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2 urbangamez
Member since 2010 • 3511 Posts

good news. two games I would consider purchasing from them are witcher 3 and grandia 2 instead of steam.

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

I got the same email. I thought it was odd that they included Fallout 1,2, and tactics in the email when those have been available on GOG for a long time.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

Hopefully my game code for fallout 3 will work :P

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59366 Posts

Picked up Redguard and the other earlier.

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:

I got the same email. I thought it was odd that they included Fallout 1,2, and tactics in the email when those have been available on GOG for a long time.

They had been pulled for a while. Even in my list it shows that I don't own those games, but I own the 'classic' versions.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

I love to buy games in gog , but too many clients i got Origin Steam and Galgaxy .... thats just boring ....

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#8 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

Doom, Doom 2, and Final Doom as well! ^_^

Toxic-Seahorse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Toxic-Seahorse
Member since 2012 • 5074 Posts

@RossRichard said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

They had been pulled for a while. Even in my list it shows that I don't own those games, but I own the 'classic' versions.

Oh really? I didn't even notice that. That seems odd. What are the differences between the classic versions (the ones I have as well) and the newer ones?

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Pick up some good ol' Doom. I hope they get Quake 2 as well because the Steam version doesn't have the music apparently.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

@Toxic-Seahorse said:
@RossRichard said:
@Toxic-Seahorse said:

Oh really? I didn't even notice that. That seems odd. What are the differences between the classic versions (the ones I have as well) and the newer ones?

Apparently, at least from what I can gather, the non-classic version (whatever that means) comes with a "free" copy Arena and Daggerfall but it also appears to not include the extras that came with "classic" version of Fallout (wallpapers, Fallout Bible, avatars, etc.). It is a bit odd but my guess it has something to do with the lawsuit Bethesda filed against Interplay for selling the Fallout Trilogy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#12 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59366 Posts

@blangenakker said:

Pick up some good ol' Doom. I hope they get Quake 2 as well because the Steam version doesn't have the music apparently.

It doesn't, but if you check the steam forums it can be sorted out, along with community patches, same with Quake 1.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

i am waiting for skywind. that looks amazing. I cant tolerate morrowind vanilla or with any mods. Its just so far out

MonkeyDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeyDot
Member since 2015 • 106 Posts

I guess TW3 proved you can make a good game, make money, and not use DRM. I hope everyone sees that.

GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

@Jawad2007 said:

I love to buy games in gog , but too many clients i got Origin Steam and Galgaxy .... thats just boring ....

You don't have to use a client with gog, you can install the game the old way. I have all of my gog games bin files on a NAS and install them that way.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Good news.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

Honestly Bethesda drm never bothered me it was mostly steamwroks, infact morrowind and oblivion didnt have any.

I wonder if fallout 4 will use denuvo, hopefully not, mods need to temper with game files and advanced ones with exes since they use script extenders.

bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Ugh..don't pay Bethesda for the original Fallouts

Yams1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#19 Yams1980
Member since 2006 • 2862 Posts

i already own these games twice, and sometimes three times in some cases. I own oblivion on xbox 360 and also on PC when it first came out, and the game of the year version later when they released it all with all the dlc with it. My drm free versions consists of me copying over a no cd crack on these older games.

And actually i think my oblivion game of the year PC disc i got a while back was drm free, i don't remember needing to use the dvd to play it or install any steam shit to run it.

It would make me way happier if they would come out and say all future games they are making will be drm free like the witcher 3.