Best version of Linux?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

batistafan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 batistafan99
Member since 2006 • 2592 Posts
I'm thinking of putting Linux on my laptop, but I don't know what version is the best. What version of Linux is the best? And does anyone know of some good free partition software?
Avatar image for cummingspatrick
cummingspatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 cummingspatrick
Member since 2003 • 5083 Posts
Well, no version is the best. It's all personal tastes. There are also different versions for different uses. However, I can make a guess that you are a current windows user. WIth that in mind, and considering that you will use this on a laptop, I suggest that you try Kubuntu. This is a version of the most popular Linux distro, that most of the beginners like the most (Ubuntu). This version comes with the KDE desktop, that most Windows users will prefer over Gnome, the one provided with Ubuntu. KDE feels more like windows, while gnome feels a bit more like MacOS 9.
Avatar image for cummingspatrick
cummingspatrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 cummingspatrick
Member since 2003 • 5083 Posts
And does anyone know of some good free partition software?
batistafan99
The Kubuntu installer provides you with a good partitionning software as a part of the installation process. It can even shrink your windows partitions to create space for the install. If you want a standalone partition software, the "Knoppix" Live-cd features one. There is also the very good "Hiren's BootCD".
johnboy07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 johnboy07
Member since 2004 • 31 Posts
I agree with the previous posts. Ubuntu was a snap for me to use, plus it has all the apps i need so i wont have to give bill any more money. The cd has a partition tool on it that is extremely easy to use. I am using ubuntu 6.06 in case you were wondering.