Best tower defense game

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Willsi100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Willsi100
Member since 2008 • 148 Posts

Hey guys,

I don't really play much PC games as my PC can't really handle it (I have an xbox360 for gaming) but I love tower defense games.

What is the best one for the PC?

I don't mean the small free ones you can play on websites either. :-)

Delius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Delius
Member since 2005 • 571 Posts

Defence Gridis the best one for PC that I've played, hopefully you can run it. If not, Plants vs. Zombies is a good option.

alvaro_pg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 alvaro_pg
Member since 2003 • 330 Posts
Get Warcraft 3 The Frozen throne. There are millions of tower defense maps, some feel like a completely different game
Willsi100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Willsi100
Member since 2008 • 148 Posts

Defence Gridis the best one for PC that I've played, hopefully you can run it. If not, Plants vs. Zombies is a good option.

Delius
Sweet, I will check it out! :-)
milosbeli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#5 milosbeli
Member since 2007 • 1045 Posts

Get Warcraft 3 The Frozen throne. There are millions of tower defense maps, some feel like a completely different gamealvaro_pg

yes wc3 has some excellent td games

Combii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Combii
Member since 2009 • 755 Posts

Plants vs Zombies

mkaliaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mkaliaz
Member since 2004 • 1979 Posts

Defense Grid!

I was lucky enough to find it for $2 on Steam during the holidays. I'm sure it will go on sale again at some point if you want to wait, or if not, I doubt its very expensive.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

Paying = plants vs zombies

free = desktop tower defence (checking out defence grid now)

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

WC3+TFT.

Tower Defenses have evolved from scratch to what we know today thanks to this game. The amount of TDs in it is virtually unlimited.

JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

Plants vs. Zombies. It's one of the most addictive games I've ever played.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

Defense Grid, followed by PvZ, and the WC3 mods are all over the place.

Oslaugh 2 has more depth and complexity than all of them, but it isn't as pretty (it is FREE though).
Desktop Tower Defense is pretty good too, and also FREE.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

[QUOTE="Delius"]

Willsi100

Sweet, I will check it out! :-)

Nice to hear, I picked up Defense Grid over the end-of-year Steam sale, haven't played it yet though.

Seemples

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Seemples
Member since 2009 • 41 Posts

Agree with the Warcraft 3 + Frozen Throne suggestions. So many variations of TD.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#14 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Harvest: Massive encounters. I play that all the time.

True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#15 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

Defense grid is a fun tower defense game.

Plants v Zombies is a cute and over-hyped gimmic of a game, but with it's simplicity I cannot recommend it to you. The game is pretty much 1 dimensional ffs. It will not satisfy tower defense urges but you may like it nonetheless. I enjoyed it, for what it was worth.

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts

Plants vs Zombies

Combii
This + Demigods.
JonSnow777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JonSnow777
Member since 2009 • 787 Posts

Plants v Zombies is a cute and over-hyped gimmic of a game, but with it's simplicity I cannot recommend it to you. The game is pretty much 1 dimensional ffs. It will not satisfy tower defense urges but you may like it nonetheless. I enjoyed it, for what it was worth.

True_Sounds

LOLnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Totally false. There's so much content in that game it's unbelievable. And there are so many ways to tackle each level. I mean, you can totally customize your setup and prioritize sun farming, gold farming, or whatever. Ii've gone from experimenting with cheap backup and minefields to heavy hitters and everything in between.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
Burbenog TD
True_Sounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#20 True_Sounds
Member since 2009 • 2915 Posts

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

JonSnow777

LOLnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Totally false. There's so much content in that game it's unbelievable. And there are so many ways to tackle each level. I mean, you can totally customize your setup and prioritize sun farming, gold farming, or whatever. Ii've gone from experimenting with cheap backup and minefields to heavy hitters and everything in between.

As in PHYSICALLY one dimensional. Sure you can beat a level a million different ways, but when the playing field is one dimensional it will get old fast regardless. If you count the moles that dig from behind and the polevaulters, it is 2d in some instances, but it's still very very simplistic. A good game but not a good hardcore tower defense rec in my books.

Normal tower defense games are 2 dimensional (defense grid is 3 dimensional). IMO it adds necessary depth to the play.

cybrcatter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cybrcatter
Member since 2003 • 16210 Posts

Harvest: Massive encounters. I play that all the time.

jedikevin2
Thanks for this suggestion mate. I bought it last night and have been enjoying it immensely. It's not as pretty as Defense Grid, but but the gameplay is more compelling.
adrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 adrook
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I've always loved tower d games. I came across this forum after playing Sanctum that just came out on Steam. I'd highly reccomend it to everyone. It's tower d with a first person shooter element so its pretty entertaining. Only downside is its very short. 3 levels total of 75 waves.

hypoty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 hypoty
Member since 2009 • 2825 Posts

I've always loved tower d games. I came across this forum after playing Sanctum that just came out on Steam. I'd highly reccomend it to everyone. It's tower d with a first person shooter element so its pretty entertaining. Only downside is its very short. 3 levels total of 75 waves.

adrook

I've been playing that for a few days and I definitely encourage the TC to try it out. A unique take on the TD genre.

blueflame8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blueflame8
Member since 2007 • 107 Posts

True_Sounds
Exactly this. I just find Plants vs Zombies very boring.
pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#25 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

Google Cursed Treasure that one was pretty good.

menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="JonSnow777"]

[QUOTE="True_Sounds"]

True_Sounds

As in PHYSICALLY one dimensional. Sure you can beat a level a million different ways, but when the playing field is one dimensional it will get old fast regardless. If you count the moles that dig from behind and the polevaulters, it is 2d in some instances, but it's still very very simplistic. A good game but not a good hardcore tower defense rec in my books.

Normal tower defense games are 2 dimensional (defense grid is 3 dimensional). IMO it adds necessary depth to the play.

LOL One dimensional means something like a straight line or just length. The very first level in PvZ is one dimensional. Two dimensional means something like a flat box or it has length and width (or infinite flat plane). Every other level after the first one is thus 2nd dimensional. Three dimensional means it has length, width, and height. Something almost every advanced PvZ level has. There is the underground and underwater. There is the normal playing field and then there is above (Balloon & Bungies zombies). Not to mention you are attacked by catapults which wouldn't be possible on a 1 or even 2 dimensional map.

Going by your logic Defense Grid is also 1 dimensional and 2 dimensional at times as well (the planes don't show up all the time and are non-existent on grinder mode). Yes the models are 3D while PvZ are 2D (DG is based on Gamebryo afterall) but that doesn't mean the basic concept is that much different. DF has alot more varied maps then PvZ but PvZ has alot more content then DF. Both are enjoyable in their own right they just play in different ways and have different content to offer.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
Sanctum is probably the best I have played mixing in traditional Tower Defense with FPS elements and in the near future up to 4 player Co-Op defense grids which should be fun.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

My favorites so far have been:

Defense Grid

Anomaly: Warzone Earth - this one is intrguing as it's a play on the usualy tower defense game in which you are the creeps, tryign to take out the towers and get to your goal. A lot of fun.

Plants vs Zombies

Gratuitous Space Battles - not quite tower defense but it's a similar concept.

Also dungeon defenders (coming out soon) looks promising. also revenge of the titans and sanctum aren't bad.

Defense grid is on sale on Steam for $5.

iloveshabu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 iloveshabu
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
survival unlimited lvl 88 a friend of mine told me he got to 120+ {o.o} im not sure i can believe that
marshbaboon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 marshbaboon
Member since 2005 • 417 Posts

Toy soldiers is excellent. Its only on XBLA at the moment but I believe it should be coming to steam soon if I'm not mistaken. There's a sequel in the works too.

Robya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Robya
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
If you're looking for something more frenetic, the indie game Spoids is pretty good. It's up on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/spoids
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Warcraft 3 and TFT

Seriously. Everytime I need to play a TD game, I just hop on WC3. Green TD, Element TD, Mafa TD, Gree Circle TD, MArvel TD, younameititpropablyfvckingexistsTD. You will never run out of TDs to play. And Warcraft 3 can run on a toaster so that's even better.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

Warcraft 3, no doubt.

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#34 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Defense Grid did it for me. Really enjoyable.

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#35 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

If you're looking for something more frenetic, the indie game Spoids is pretty good. It's up on Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/spoidsRobya
reported for thread necromancy