Best Story in a game?

• 163 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jazztrumpet5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 jazztrumpet5
Member since 2003 • 1085 Posts

Topic.

Just wondering what game the common forum-goer considers to have the best story. Any genre is fair game, and it's always cool to tell why you chose your choice.

Discuss. :)

NicotineKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 NicotineKid
Member since 2006 • 1475 Posts

Knights of the Old Republic!!!

Zillaschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Zillaschool
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts
Mafia.
jaanus147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 jaanus147
Member since 2004 • 111 Posts
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Joeker501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Joeker501
Member since 2004 • 619 Posts
God of War
Pitts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Pitts
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts
Star Control II, no question.
naomha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#7 naomha1
Member since 2005 • 1042 Posts

There are a few great stories out there. Half life 1 & 2, Elder Scroll series, NWN series, Deus Ex 1, Bioshock, Fable, Stalker, Condemened and Two Worlds just to name a few. But, by far, one of the greatest stories ever told ina video game has to be Advent Rising. The game received so-so reviews, i thought it was pretty decent, but the story is great. To each their own, though.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

Topic.

Just wondering what game the common forum-goer considers to have the best story. Any genre is fair game, and it's always cool to tell why you chose your choice.

Discuss. :)

jazztrumpet5

If we're talking about "any game" then the PC doesn't flourish so much when it comes to storylines. Why? Because we don't have RPGs (the types of RPGs that have storylines that leave an IMPACT on the world).

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

Oblivion
Morrowind
KOTOR (not the 2nd)
Monkey Island 3

FatSlasH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FatSlasH
Member since 2005 • 509 Posts
The Half-life series
mmayerss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mmayerss
Member since 2005 • 151 Posts
The Legacy of Kain series
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

The Half-life seriesFatSlasH

Half Life never had a real storyline. The series was created mainly for revolutionary gameplay purposes...hell, I thought Halo had a better story.

kantjd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kantjd
Member since 2005 • 27 Posts
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri
Ahurigaan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ahurigaan
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

KotOR.

Half-Life Series.

Elder Scrolls Morrowind(Oblivion's story was weak).

Fallout.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Homeworld. The story in that game was fantastic.
I like the story behind the Half-Life series as well.
decerto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 decerto
Member since 2002 • 44 Posts

Wow there have been so many great stories. I have to completely disagree with the person that says the PC's stories don't stack up well against consoles. I will take the story of a Baldur's gate or Half-Life 2 anyday over the final fantasy series (please notice I expressed a preference there and DID NOT say the FF stories have been bad, they were not).

But for my all time favorite story, it had to be Grim Fandango.

The story drew me in, made me care about the characters, made me laugh, and finished with a satisfying ending. There are many great stories out there, some even in console gaming. But for me at least Grim Fandango stands head, err. skull and shoulders above them all.

my 2 cents.

"Misery is the river of the world... everybody row" Tom Waits

decerto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 decerto
Member since 2002 • 44 Posts

Sid Meier's Alpha Centaurikantjd

very good pick.

"Misery is the river of the world... everybody row" Tom Waits

Blessedflame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Blessedflame
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

I have to say Planescape: Torment.

It is by far my most favorite story ever, be it book, movie or game.

biosauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 biosauce
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
System Shock 2, for its combination of plot and riveting storytelling. No game that I've played since has mastered the plot device of the slowly unfolding "what the hell happened here" scenario like System Shock 2. Plus, using the audio logs scattered throughout the Von Braun and the Rickenbacker to advance the plot really enhanced the game's creepy atmosphere.
Rob_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rob_101
Member since 2004 • 3291 Posts

The Sims 1 & 2, GTA, Battlefield 2, and Geometry Wars.

But seriously KOTOR and HL2

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
Max Payne 1& 2
Brycer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Brycer
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
All final fantasy games have the best stories until a certain part, like in FFVIII the story is amazing until you find out that everyone grew up together and they just lost their memory. FFX in my opinion had the best story line of all time, but it went a little downhill when you find out more about who Sin actually is.
pardue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 pardue
Member since 2006 • 116 Posts

[QUOTE="FatSlasH"]The Half-life seriesSkullheart

Half Life never had a real storyline. The series was created mainly for revolutionary gameplay purposes...hell, I thought Halo had a better story.

Half-Life indeed has a real storyline and revolutionary gameplay as well. You are trying to demean Half-Life with Halo? Halo also had a very amazing storyline.

gekuijpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gekuijpers
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Dreamfall: The longest Yourney is farway the game with the best genre that I have ever played. If you haven't played it yet, I recommend it. 8)
tyrant2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 tyrant2004
Member since 2002 • 121 Posts
Umm, did any of you ever play The Longest Journey (the first one)? That had, without a doubt, one of the most intricate stories out of ANY game on any system. Much better than Dreamfall.
Baron_14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Baron_14
Member since 2007 • 1771 Posts
KOTOR 1&2
gekuijpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gekuijpers
I haven't played it :o ,
gekuijpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gekuijpers
By the way, God of War I had a pretty decent story as well .
FatSlasH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FatSlasH
Member since 2005 • 509 Posts
Ofcourse it had, but it's not told in detail like other games,you just have to figure out some parts of the story yourself... or just google it ;D
Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

Here are my choices:

* Half Life series

* Xcom Series (mostly 1 and 2)

* Homeworld series

* System Shock 2

* Monkey Island series

* Command and Conquer series

* Halo CE

And one of my favorites: the Mechwarrior series (lots and lots ofbackstory there)

tyrant2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 tyrant2004
Member since 2002 • 121 Posts
Are you talking about TLJ? It had the MOST story, and one of the best, but yeah, it didn't tell you EVERYTHING. Most good games will not, they make you think. And not just think as in, give you crap and let you decide what the crap means; good games like that give you most of what's going on and let you wonder about the rest. Great game, great story, everyone should play it.
lostcause78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lostcause78

Oh my only 1 game to pick?

Impossible! :? They can be funny, sad, thrilling or any combination of those...anyway a few I cannot leave out of my list:

FF-VII

The Longest Journey

Monkey Island

Fallout

KOTOR

The Dig

snake01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 snake01
Member since 2003 • 159 Posts
Final Fantasy 8
X-tract

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 X-tract
Member since 2005 • 375 Posts

why does everybody keeps calling HL and Halo? those two games had a horrible storyline!

"oh noes aliens invaded our planet...again!" "oh noes the aliens have a weapon of mass destruction... again!"

Now Max Payne, that was a game filled with a story! All those plot twists and different characters, not to mention the way the story was told (gotta love a noir story), I cant name one game that did the same... whilst there are millions of Halo and Half Life clones out there....

Jacck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacck
Metal Gear Solid Series
Buzzbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Buzzbolt
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

These are old school:

Betrayal at Krondor

Gabriel Knight

Under a Killing Moon

Grim Fandango

Fallout

Day of the Tentacle

New stuff:

Half Life series

Max Payne was well told but predictable

enesjusufi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37 enesjusufi
Member since 2005 • 30 Posts

1. Dark Messiah: Might & Magic

2. Clive Barkers: Undying

Have you even played these games? Now it doesnt matter if you like role-playing/strategy/fps or whatever.... this games will blow your brains out. Not do these two games have only the best Stories, but stories that are plot twisting like hell andthe twisted story will even shock you in Dark Messiah at near end of game.They have thebest gameplay ive seen aswell.... and especially if you try Dark Messiah... pick up a Samurai Sword and chop peoples body parts out in Highest Physics and Realism in slow motion while being chassed by Einstein intelligent Goblins and what not!!

wackys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#38 wackys
Member since 2005 • 1315 Posts
Only one?Bah gawd i can't just say one i have to make a list.Here it goes. 1.Advent Rising.That game simply BEGS for a sequel.Too bad it received bad reviews.I thought it was great. 2.The prince of persia series.I can't believe nobody said this yet.This series is one of my all time favorites 3.Kotor 1.This game's story sucked me in from the first spoken dialogue. 4.Kotor 2.Same as above. 5.Bioshock.Again a very good game with a very interesting storyline.Hopefully we will see a sequel continuing the evil ending. 6.Beyond good and evil.Very great game but very overlooked. 7.Two worlds.Seems to have a good storyline.Haven't finished it yet though. 8.Freelancer.Great game with a good storyline. 9.Nexus the jupiter incident.Again great game with good storyline 10.Space Rangers 2.Hasn't really got a storyline much but has a kinda big backstory. That's my list basicly.
emperor115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 emperor115
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

+ Jade Empire

+ WarCraft III

+ Mafia

+ Max Payne 2

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts
Deus Ex has an amazing story with sweet characters
Halflife series has a good story if you pay attention and form a few conclusions for your own damn self
KOTOR was awesome, too.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

my three favourite game stories are the original silent hill (not a pc game, but screw you guys!), it's very intelligent and touching and some of the moments i felt such powerful emotion in a way i have felt in very few games... the problem with it is it's extremely poorly written and the voice acting is dire, and you really have to pull the story out yourself... but interpreting the symbolism is all part of the fun, in fact it probably makes it more intelligent, since it isn't just telling you what happens (unlike the film!)

the max payne games also are contrary to the above in that they are pretty cliche stories, nothing special - seen that kind of thing in many games, only the presentation of the story is so masterful, from the beautiful graphic novel panes to the spectacular voice acting and (mostly) well written dialogue... it's just a joy to experience the story unfold

system shock 2 is probably an expert combination of the two above concepts, it has an awesome story with a great twist, the story is masterfully well told through various mechanics that are fairly well known to the gaming public now thanks to bioshock, only shock 2 does it so much better - and it features two simply awesome characters i just enjoyed experiencing... i was genuinely sad when it was over

for all the people saying half life has a great story, i find this confusing - half life's story is: experiment goes wrong (or DOES IT?? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN), aliens come through, vague semi-mysterious character shows up, we fight back,travel to the heart of the invasion, thwart it, the end!

sound familiar? cough*doom*cough - half life doesn't really have a story, stories are driven by events and dialogue, half life has a scenario thinly draped over gameplay, imo, and nothing more - the same can be said for most games, especially games with less than 50 lines of dialogue

petec9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 petec9999
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Wow.. gonna go waaaaaaaaaay back for my favorite. "Darklands" old school RPG set in medieval germany. It was a bit buggy but still loads of fun. And Fallout series as well.
Lonezerth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Lonezerth
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

Planescape: Torment

If games today had at least half the story that game had...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#44 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58300 Posts

my three favourite game stories are the original silent hill (not a pc game, but screw you guys!), it's very intelligent and touching and some of the moments i felt such powerful emotion in a way i have felt in very few games... the problem with it is it's extremely poorly written and the voice acting is dire, and you really have to pull the story out yourself... but interpreting the symbolism is all part of the fun, in fact it probably makes it more intelligent, since it isn't just telling you what happens (unlike the film!)

the max payne games also are contrary to the above in that they are pretty cliche stories, nothing special - seen that kind of thing in many games, only the presentation of the story is so masterful, from the beautiful graphic novel panes to the spectacular voice acting and (mostly) well written dialogue... it's just a joy to experience the story unfold

system shock 2 is probably an expert combination of the two above concepts, it has an awesome story with a great twist, the story is masterfully well told through various mechanics that are fairly well known to the gaming public now thanks to bioshock, only shock 2 does it so much better - and it features two simply awesome characters i just enjoyed experiencing... i was genuinely sad when it was over

for all the people saying half life has a great story, i find this confusing - half life's story is: experiment goes wrong (or DOES IT?? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN), aliens come through, vague semi-mysterious character shows up, we fight back,travel to the heart of the invasion, thwart it, the end!

sound familiar? cough*doom*cough - half life doesn't really have a story, stories are driven by events and dialogue, half life has a scenario thinly draped over gameplay, imo, and nothing more - the same can be said for most games, especially games with less than 50 lines of dialogue

mfsa

Ya, I understand why you dont understand why HL has a good story. But thats only because you base the story strictly on what you see. In Halflife 2, thats where you need to start forming some of your own conclusions.

For example, what are the Combine? If you listen carefully, you find out. What is the relation between the Combine and Xen? Well, the Combine seem to have weaponized headcrabs, maybe they colonized Xen and used the lifeforms for their own ends, i.e. headcrabs and vortigaunts. The story is there, it just requires a big stretch of the imagination.

Thats just the way I see it. There are some good sites out there that piece together the story based on the game, little easter eggs, and interviews.

serieus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 serieus
Member since 2006 • 117 Posts

If you want an RPG with the best story I'm going with Betrayal At Krondor made by Dynamix (Sierra) and written by Raymond E Feist. Read his books if you want some awesome fantasy reading.

If you want an adventure game with the best story, then Gabriel Knight: Sins of Fathers was a great game/story. Grim Fandango I've seen written up on the thread here and that also was great, but adventure games are mainly based on a story so most adventure games would hopefully fall in this category.

If you want the best FPS storyline ever, I'm going to have to hold my ground with Half-Life since the story is non-existent and only portions of it are revealed the rest is imagined by the player. I think that's good stuff right there. I'd say Max Payne, but why are we introduced to characters that die in like 5 seconds, plus the story was too short on that one, should have been more in-depth.

If you want the best strategy storyline ever, I'm going with StarCraft. Great characters, great story, great everything, but of course Command and Conquer comes in at a close second.

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#46 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

TOP 5

1. Metal Gear Solid
  2. Metal Gear Solid 3
  3. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
  4. Indigo Prophecy
  5. Metal Gear Solid 2
Whermacht02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Whermacht02
Member since 2006 • 1069 Posts

mfsa

Of course it sounds familiar. The alien invasion plot has been done over and over. But that doesnt make HL a game without story. You say "stories are drive by events and dialogue". HL and HL2 were full of important events that contributed to the gameplay and to the story: the resonance cascade, the arrival of the HECU, the defeat of Nihilanth... Im just naming a few... Anyway, everyone is entitled to an opinion

Conan1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#48 Conan1985
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

Baldurs gate 2 = Simply the best!

No other game ive played has come close..

krisalid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#49 krisalid
Member since 2005 • 228 Posts
Legacy of Kain series-great story line,great voices er.. actors
Pedram_pd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points