Best Single Slot Video Card

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Mafiree
Member since 2008 • 3704 Posts

I'm looking to upgrade my video card.

Unfortunately, my motherboard can only use a single slot GPU, Pre-built from HP so not sure of the brand (I know I should have built my own).

I recently upgraded the PSU to a 750w antec (got a deal on it on black friday)

Currently running with an intel core 2 duo e7500 with 4 gb of RAM. (and an ATI 4650 512mb as my video card)

I was looking at the xfx 5770 series on newegg, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150501&cm_re=5770-_-14-150-501-_-Product

I would like to be able to play WoW and SC2 at close to high settings and diablo 3 and the old republic when they come out at medium to high settings if possible.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EDIT: Forgot to include budget, I would like to spend under $250

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
If I'm not mistaken,pretty much every card over the 5770(even with NVIDIA and the GTX460) are dual slots
xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
What do you mean by "one slot"? A PCIe 2.0 x16 slot?
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Mafiree
What do you mean by "one slot"? A PCIe 2.0 x16 slot?xsubtownerx
I mean a card that only requires one PCI slot (as opposed to the higher end GPUs that require an additional slot for the fan.)
lordreaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 lordreaven
Member since 2005 • 7239 Posts

I guess this card.

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#6 JimmyJumpy
Member since 2008 • 2554 Posts

I guess this card.

lordreaven

That's indeed the best option. Otherwise, I'd stuff my piggy-bank for a while longer and opt to swap both mobo and GPU for something more hefty...

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]What do you mean by "one slot"? A PCIe 2.0 x16 slot?Mafiree
I mean a card that only requires one PCI slot (as opposed to the higher end GPUs that require an additional slot for the fan.)

So you're saying that your case literally doesn't have room for the GPU to have a larger fan? Or that your motherboard only has one free slot?

Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

EVGA GTX 580 FTW is the best single slot that exists, by a large margin. Just throwing that out there, not that you should get it.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
[QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]What do you mean by "one slot"? A PCIe 2.0 x16 slot?Mafiree

I am confused. What cards require two PCI-E slots?
GummiRaccoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GummiRaccoon
Member since 2003 • 13799 Posts

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="xsubtownerx"]What do you mean by "one slot"? A PCIe 2.0 x16 slot?millerlight89

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JimmyJumpy

Single or double slot cards don't refer to the PCI slot, but to the backslots of the computer case, just to make that clear. When a mobo (for example a µATX) has but two PCIe slots, it usually has a third PCI slot inbetween the PCIe slots, so when inserting a doubledecker (or two in SLI/Crossfire) you can't use that PCI slot anymore. A single card would not hide that extra PCI slot...

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="Mafiree"] I mean a card that only requires one PCI slot (as opposed to the higher end GPUs that require an additional slot for the fan.)GummiRaccoon

I really wish you would quit replying to anything I say. You can't do it in a polite manner, ever. So sorry I got confused, sure you never have been :roll:
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JimmyJumpy

[QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

[QUOTE="millerlight89"] I am confused. What cards require two PCI-E slots?millerlight89

I really wish you would quit replying to anything I say. You can't do it in a polite manner, ever. So sorry I got confused, sure you never have been :roll:

Hey, then quit provoking him... err... sorry bout that :lol:

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 millerlight89

[QUOTE="millerlight89"][QUOTE="GummiRaccoon"]

JimmyJumpy

Hey, then quit provoking him... err... sorry bout that :lol:

Good point :P

ionusX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 ionusX
Member since 2009 • 25777 Posts

its a micro-atx box and probably doesnt have a second backplate for the mounting of a dual height card and or its in use by something else

he needs a card with only 1 backplate bracket ideally not beyond those height parameters either

the xfx 5770 is the best you could get without burning your money on a galaxy gtx 470 sc saber which preforms more like its cousin the 465 but with the heat and power problems of a 470 :P

beyond those two palit has a low profile gts 450 and powercolor has a low profile 5770 aswell

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts

EVGA GTX 580 FTW is the best single slot that exists, by a large margin. Just throwing that out there, not that you should get it.

Human-after-all
^This
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Mafiree
Thanks for the help guys. So, I don't actually need a second PCI-e slot, to utilize a dual slot video card? If I have room on the backplate, would the dual slot card just have to overhang on the motherboard without resting on another PCI-e slot? I was worried looking at the higher end motherboards and seeing multiple PCI-e slots. I only have one and it is currently being used by my current video card.
deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18 deathxxshark
Member since 2006 • 541 Posts

Yes. You only need one actual PCI-E slot for a dual slot card. A dual slot card will just make it impossible for you to use the PCI slot right next to your card because the dual slot card's fan will block it.

For example, my board has a PCI-E slot for the GPU, and no slot right next to it because my board was designed with dual-slot GPUs in mind.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mafiree
Okay cool =) Thank you guys for proving I'm a noob when it comes to computers haha I would have had to go down at least a tier to get a video card otherwise.
deathxxshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 deathxxshark
Member since 2006 • 541 Posts

Now, for your budget of $250, you could get a gtx470 which will play all your specified games at maximum settings no problem. Probably a little overkill though.. Those games aren't very demanding.

Even a gtx460 could max out all your specified games. I used to have a gtx460 and played SC2 at all max settings at 1920x1080 resolution no problem. Average FPS was somewhere around 70fps, which is more than enough.

Oh and also, your processor may bottleneck these higher cards. For example, Starcraft 2 is very cpu-intensive. I think you would still have to leave all your CPU settings in SC2 (Physics Effects, etc.) at low or medium even with a high-end GPU.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Mafiree

Now, for your budget of $250, you could get a gtx470 which will play all your specified games at maximum settings no problem. Probably a little overkill though.. Those games aren't very demanding.

Even a gtx460 could max out all your specified games. I used to have a gtx460 and played SC2 at all max settings at 1920x1080 resolution no problem. Average FPS was somewhere around 70fps, which is more than enough.

Oh and also, your processor may bottleneck these higher cards. For example, Starcraft 2 is very cpu-intensive. I think you would still have to leave all your CPU settings in SC2 (Physics Effects, etc.) at low or medium even with a high-end GPU.

deathxxshark
Yah, I know my cpu is lacking My monitor is only 1680x1050 so, I don't need anything spectacular. I was looking at GTX 460 (1GB non-SE) and 6850/5850 as possible choices.
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="deathxxshark"]

Mafiree

Yah, I know my cpu is lacking My monitor is only 1680x1050 so, I don't need anything spectacular. I was looking at GTX 460 (1GB non-SE) and 6850/5850 as possible choices.

Do you see yourself overclocking your GPU at all? I ask because that's the real strength of the GTX 460. They're fast stock, but they get real fast if you take a few minutes to overclock them with a tool like EVGA precision or MSi Afterburner. Most can come close to or match GTX 470 performance with a quick OC.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Mafiree

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="deathxxshark"]

hartsickdiscipl

Do you see yourself overclocking your GPU at all? I ask because that's the real strength of the GTX 460. They're fast stock, but they get real fast if you take a few minutes to overclock them with a tool like EVGA precision or MSi Afterburner. Most can come close to or match GTX 470 performance with a quick OC.

I don't see myself overclocking at the moment unfortunately. The cooling in my system is extremely basic because it is a pre-built and I wouldn't be comfortable with monitoring temperatures.
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JimmyJumpy

Thanks for the help guys. So, I don't actually need a second PCI-e slot, to utilize a dual slot video card? If I have room on the backplate, would the dual slot card just have to overhang on the motherboard without resting on another PCI-e slot? I was worried looking at the higher end motherboards and seeing multiple PCI-e slots. I only have one and it is currently being used by my current video card.Mafiree

i don't know if the mainboard has S-ATA sockets. If it does, check where they are as with 'older' mainboards they don't sit at the edge but an inch or so underneath the RAM slots. That could mean that a hefty GPU would block those S-ATA sockets...

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

[QUOTE="Mafiree"] Yah, I know my cpu is lacking My monitor is only 1680x1050 so, I don't need anything spectacular. I was looking at GTX 460 (1GB non-SE) and 6850/5850 as possible choices.Mafiree

I don't see myself overclocking at the moment unfortunately. The cooling in my system is extremely basic because it is a pre-built and I wouldn't be comfortable with monitoring temperatures.

Temperatures aren't much of an issue with the GTX 460. It's one of the coolest-running gaming cards on the market today, even overclocked. It's literally the coolest GPU that I've ever had.

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mafiree

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="hartsickdiscipl"]

hartsickdiscipl

Temperatures aren't much of an issue with the GTX 460. It's one of the coolest-running gaming cards on the market today, even overclocked. It's literally the coolest GPU that I've ever had.

Okay, that is good to know. So, I would have the potential to overclock if I wanted to at some point without having to worry about temperatures all the time. The GTX 460 is looking more promising (especially since I like to play Blizzard games)
Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Mafiree

[QUOTE="Mafiree"]Thanks for the help guys. So, I don't actually need a second PCI-e slot, to utilize a dual slot video card? If I have room on the backplate, would the dual slot card just have to overhang on the motherboard without resting on another PCI-e slot? I was worried looking at the higher end motherboards and seeing multiple PCI-e slots. I only have one and it is currently being used by my current video card.JimmyJumpy

i don't know if the mainboard has S-ATA sockets. If it does, check where they are as with 'older' mainboards they don't sit at the edge but an inch or so underneath the RAM slots. That could mean that a hefty GPU would block those S-ATA sockets...

I believe there was room, at least there isn't anything connected or in the way until you get to the HD basically. A 8.5-9.5" card would fit easily I think.
ATLReppa770

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ATLReppa770
Member since 2005 • 4208 Posts

Human-after-all
Pretty sure it's the Hydro Copper 2, and not the 580 FTW.
Avatar image for Human-after-all
Human-after-all

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Human-after-all
Member since 2009 • 2972 Posts

[QUOTE="Human-after-all"]

ATLReppa770

Pretty sure it's the Hydro Copper 2, and not the 580 FTW.

It's FTW hydro copper 2. I don't think there is a FTW edition of the 580GTX other than that, but I could be wrong.

JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 JimmyJumpy

[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

[QUOTE="Mafiree"]Thanks for the help guys. So, I don't actually need a second PCI-e slot, to utilize a dual slot video card? If I have room on the backplate, would the dual slot card just have to overhang on the motherboard without resting on another PCI-e slot? I was worried looking at the higher end motherboards and seeing multiple PCI-e slots. I only have one and it is currently being used by my current video card.Mafiree

I believe there was room, at least there isn't anything connected or in the way until you get to the HD basically. A 8.5-9.5" card would fit easily I think.

I was just mentioning it because HP often use licenced Gygabite boards. The latter had their S-ATA sockets too close to the top PCIe slot so that on my board my then 8800GTS 512MB's butt was sitting in front of the S-ATA connectors...

Mafiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Mafiree

[QUOTE="Mafiree"][QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

JimmyJumpy

I was just mentioning it because HP often use licenced Gygabite boards. The latter had their S-ATA sockets too close to the top PCIe slot so that on my board my then 8800GTS 512MB's butt was sitting in front of the S-ATA connectors...

Thank you for pointing the potential problem out.
Bangerman15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bangerman15
Member since 2010 • 1978 Posts
well the 5870, 5970, gtx 470 and 480 are compatible wit hthe coolit omni so either of those is fine i think, if u get one of the cards, take off the stock fan and heatsink and just throw the coolit omni on their then BOOM! u have a one slot card now haha
JimmyJumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 JimmyJumpy

well the 5870, 5970, gtx 470 and 480 are compatible wit hthe coolit omni so either of those is fine i think, if u get one of the cards, take off the stock fan and heatsink and just throw the coolit omni on their then BOOM! u have a one slot card now hahaBangerman15

I hope the "BOOM" part doesn't involve smoke and fire extinguishers... :lol:

hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 hartsickdiscipl

[QUOTE="Bangerman15"]well the 5870, 5970, gtx 470 and 480 are compatible wit hthe coolit omni so either of those is fine i think, if u get one of the cards, take off the stock fan and heatsink and just throw the coolit omni on their then BOOM! u have a one slot card now hahaJimmyJumpy

I hope the "BOOM" part doesn't involve smoke and fire extinguishers... :lol:

I'm trying to picture a GTX 480 with a single-slot cooler WITHOUT smoke and fire extinguishers. I'm not having much success.

Mr_BillGates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Mr_BillGates
Member since 2005 • 3211 Posts

5770 is not the faster single-slot card. This is:

Galaxy GTX 260+ Razor Edition

Review: *Almost has the same temp and noise as dual slot counterparts. Simply amazing.*

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3009/galaxy_geforce_gtx_260_896mb_razor_edition_video_card/index15.html

plvness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 plvness
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts

cant find what is the power supply requirements on that card

plvness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 plvness
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts

never mind I found it

brownwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 brownwhale
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts

Single or double slot cards don't refer to the PCI slot, but to the backslots of the computer case, just to make that clear. When a mobo (for example a µATX) has but two PCIe slots, it usually has a third PCI slot inbetween the PCIe slots, so when inserting a doubledecker (or two in SLI/Crossfire) you can't use that PCI slot anymore. A single card would not hide that extra PCI slot...

JimmyJumpy
Yes your back! Its good to see you post again! On another note, usually you can fit a dual slot card in as most cases have room at the bottom, the cooler points down and there should be at least an inch or 2 of room which is enough for the cooler. A good card go go with would be a GTX460 though there isnt a single slot option.
Heyhuub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Heyhuub
Member since 2010 • 317 Posts

Didn't a single slot gtx460 come out recently?

Iantheone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Iantheone
Member since 2007 • 8242 Posts
[QUOTE="JimmyJumpy"]

brownwhale
Yes your back! Its good to see you post again! On another note, usually you can fit a dual slot card in as most cases have room at the bottom, the cooler points down and there should be at least an inch or 2 of room which is enough for the cooler. A good card go go with would be a GTX460 though there isnt a single slot option.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that post is a couple of months old