Best RTS (real time stratigy) Game......

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ManKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ManKelly
Member since 2005 • 412 Posts

My fav would have to be Age of Empires 2 right now... i havnt had the chance to really play anything new...

And Rise of Nations...

What about yours?

aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

The generic answer is Starcraft.

My personal favourite is Homeworld.

BTW, I seem to be seeing a lot of these RTS threads nowadays. Did I start a fad? :)

DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DucksBrains
Member since 2007 • 1146 Posts
Total Annihilation, greatest RTS to ever grace the PC and its name sadly fell into obscurity.
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
Dawn of War.
Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
Homeworld is my personal favourite.
zopcet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 zopcet
Member since 2008 • 106 Posts
Company of Heroes.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts
I don't know why everybody thinks starcraft is sooo great. I find total annihilation to be the best rts ever. Starcraft is soooo generic I find. You people have to play Total Annihilation then post back here.
GTR2addict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GTR2addict
Member since 2007 • 11863 Posts
world in conflict
ManKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ManKelly

yeah i really want to play Sins of a Solar Empire, and World in Conflict.

It seems like all the newist RTS games seam to be more about the Military power then the Economic power.

bochero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 bochero
Member since 2007 • 472 Posts
Starcraft and Sins of a solar empire.
grassdream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 grassdream
Member since 2006 • 1902 Posts
Gotta go with Rome: Total War + expansions
Avatar image for plays-with-fire
plays-with-fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 plays-with-fire
Member since 2007 • 47 Posts

1.medieval total war 2

2.Supreme Commnder

3.Homeworld

4.world in conflict.

5.dawn of war

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts
command and conquer series, red alert series, the fragile series, starcraft, and im about to get world in conflict
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

Total Annihilation, greatest RTS to ever grace the PC and its name sadly fell into obscurity.DucksBrains

TA is amazing.

munkeypoo45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 munkeypoo45
Member since 2008 • 3221 Posts
starcraft!!!!
Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts
My favorite right now would have to be supreme commander.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
StarCraft.
Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
I can't decide between CoH, StarCraft and R:TW :P
napp123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 napp123
Member since 2007 • 865 Posts
I liked Warcraft 3,Supcom, hopefully spore
Zilor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 Zilor
Member since 2002 • 4355 Posts

I don't know why everybody thinks starcraft is sooo great. I find total annihilation to be the best rts ever. Starcraft is soooo generic I find. You people have to play Total Annihilation then post back here.simardbrad

StarCraft... Generic? How do you figure? It was the first RTS to really offer 3 drastically different factions, it was like nothing before it as far as diversity is concerned.

Now Total Anihilation was a fun game sure, but it was generic. Generic Robots in Generic Lands with Generic Goals. Both factions played identicaly until the Krogoth, outside of how they looked they were the same.

Starcraft set the bar for how to make an RTS with unique and diverse sides, not to mention set the bar for balance and dedication there to. They don't hesitate to patch something if it's discovered to be unbalanced.

If you think Starcraft is generic I'm willing to bet you went to it after it had been out for a while, if you think SC was generic than you must have played the stuff that learned from it and iterated on it then played SC and said "I don't se what's so special."

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Starcraft. Rome:Total War is close behind but it isn't a complete package like Starcraft is. Starcraft has everything. It has user maps, custom missions, a great singleplayer campaign, and an even better multiplayer component.
simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]I don't know why everybody thinks starcraft is sooo great. I find total annihilation to be the best rts ever. Starcraft is soooo generic I find. You people have to play Total Annihilation then post back here.Zilor

StarCraft... Generic? How do you figure? It was the first RTS to really offer 3 drastically different factions, it was like nothing before it as far as diversity is concerned.

Now Total Anihilation was a fun game sure, but it was generic. Generic Robots in Generic Lands with Generic Goals. Both factions played identicaly until the Krogoth, outside of how they looked they were the same.

Starcraft set the bar for how to make an RTS with unique and diverse sides, not to mention set the bar for balance and dedication there to. They don't hesitate to patch something if it's discovered to be unbalanced.

If you think Starcraft is generic I'm willing to bet you went to it after it had been out for a while, if you think SC was generic than you must have played the stuff that learned from it and iterated on it then played SC and said "I don't se what's so special."

Actually you must have no played Total Annihilation because it's not generic at all. Unless of course you played it too long after it came out. No, I played Starcraft when it was like 6 months old. I didn't find it that good. It's not that it's not fun or anything, I just don't see the deal with it. Why is it soooo good. I never saw that. I thought Command and Conquer and Total Annihilation were games that are awesome!

sketchymofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sketchymofo
Member since 2007 • 141 Posts

If you value your life you will get Company of Heroes because it is the best rts game.

Well no I can't really say that because some people dont like how its so realistic.

Some people like fantasy rts's like Starcraft.

How about I just say I love Company of Heroes...

DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DucksBrains

[QUOTE="simardbrad"]I don't know why everybody thinks starcraft is sooo great. I find total annihilation to be the best rts ever. Starcraft is soooo generic I find. You people have to play Total Annihilation then post back here.Zilor

TA generic? Your opinion is worthless and has no credibility.

aaronmullan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 aaronmullan
Member since 2004 • 33426 Posts

Total Annihilation, greatest RTS to ever grace the PC and its name sadly fell into obscurity.DucksBrains

How?

ManKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ManKelly
Its not really about if its generic or not......But ok.... I was just wondering what some people favorite Rts games are...
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Company of Heroes.zopcet

I agree, COH.

opopopp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 opopopp
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

CoH

TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts

Starcraft. Rome:Total War is close behind but it isn't a complete package like Starcraft is. Starcraft has everything. It has user maps, custom missions, a great singleplayer campaign, and an even better multiplayer component.GodLovesDead

I totally agree with this gentleman, well except for the TW thing cuz i never played that one :p.

Dr_Brocoli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dr_Brocoli
Member since 2007 • 3724 Posts

No, Starcraft is pretty generic

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

1)WiC(but it's more RTT-so if you want don't count it in))=CoH(RTT like)

3)Supreme Commander Forged Alliance

4)Warcraft 3

5)Rome Total War

6)Age of Empires 3

gamerguy845

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamerguy845
Member since 2007 • 2074 Posts

Company of Heroes.zopcet

and what's with all these "favorite RTS threads"??

DucksBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DucksBrains

[QUOTE="DucksBrains"]Total Annihilation, greatest RTS to ever grace the PC and its name sadly fell into obscurity.aaronmullan

How?

First RTS to use full 3D terrain and units, applied Newtonian physics in its gameplay, One of the only games I know of that sported a full complement of land, sea, air, and amphibious units, posessed one of the best order queueing systems in any rts, had a unique resource management system (one of the best I've seen in any rts), had the largest selection of units avaliable in any rts, and its battles scaled from small skirmishes to enormous cataclysmic bloodbaths.

k_ozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k_ozz
Member since 2007 • 1088 Posts
Company Of Heroes
Homeworld
Dawn Of War
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts
Rise Of Legends.
ManKelly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ManKelly
I downloaded the demo for Company of Heros it was alot of fun, but i havnt finsished a fulll map yet....
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11792 Posts

i would not say starcraft is generic, espeically for its time, when it came out and shortly there after it wasnt generic, viewed as now yes completely generic.... but also people think that Command and Conquer is generic, but it was the RTS to bring RTS games out to the mainstream.... C&C was one of the original RTS, and still one of the best.. in my opinion C&C was great, it had mood, it had depth to gameplay (for its time) and great music...

and one series most of you prolly are too young to remember or werent into pc gaming then is the Fragile series, like Fragile Hybrid, and Fragile Alliance, those games were great space based RTS. but they fell into obscurity

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts
One that hasn't been mentioned yet (i think) is Age of Mythology. Other than that, I'm an RTS Fanatic and I loved Starcraft, Warcraft, CoH, Rise of Legends, most games of the C&C series, Dawn of War, Lord of the Rings: BfME. I have yet to play Total War fully, but everyone seems to love it. I guess it's just a matter of asking yourself what kind of armies you'd like to see clash on the battlefield...
Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lilgunney612

DanielDust

Is the expansion really that much better than the original? I have both but i never got around to installing the expansion.

Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lilgunney612

Rise Of Legends.Baranga

Rise of Nations + expansions > Rise of Legends..

I still to this day play Rise of Nations.. Just an overall fun game.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

Lilgunney612

Is the expansion really that much better than the original? I have both but i never got around to installing the expansion.

It improves the original with better resources management, cleaner interface, seraphim :X, they also improved some of the older units ("animations" if you can call them that), more balanced and the graphics were updated. If I were to compare SC with SC FA, using one word for each, it would be, boring (SC) and fun and interesting -well 2 words :P-(SC FA). I didn't play much FA because I played mostly with a friend that had only Supreme Commander and I didn't exactly have 20 gb to waste on 2 games that are almost the same :P, but when I got into Forged Alliance, I was amazed how much it was improved, the interface and all the little things + graphics made it a far more appealing and fun experience, for me.

tiggerthepooh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tiggerthepooh
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

i agree.. age of empires was pretty cool.. CIV 3 was pretty good too

Avatar image for Mapleleafs4life
Mapleleafs4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Mapleleafs4life
Member since 2006 • 524 Posts
Personally,Rise of nations is one of the greatest pc games of all time, and especially the best rts, but thats my opinion. I still have yet to check rise of legends though...
paul999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 paul999
Member since 2003 • 240 Posts
Homeworld and total war serires.